• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

im selling a 1911 what do i need from the buyer?

led for breakfast

imported post

hello

im selling one of my guns but i dont know if i can sell it to any one without the police back ground from the buyer

what do i have to do when making person to person sales

im selling srpingfield armory 1911 GI champion 4'' barrel,3 mags,dual mag holster,pistol holster and case, it has only 201 rounds of winchester fired, 520$

thank you

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only thing you "need" is some kind of consideration from the buyer, e.g., cash, services, or an item in barter.

An offer, an acceptance, and consideration are required for a binding contract. Unless you are an FFL, you don't need anything else.

Gunslinger

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
You need to have no reasonable belief or actual knowledge that they are a felon, domestic violence convict, not a Virginia resident, under 18 years of age or are going to use the gun to commit a crime. Oh, and the gun you are selling them is not stolen.

How you choose to verify that is completely up to you, however there is NO requirement for verification of prohibitions, just that you have no knowledge or reasonable suspicion of the above.

Reasonable suspicion above would be out of state license plates when you meet to do the deal, or taking a check with an out of state address. Statements like, "I can't wait to cap Bobby Joe with this!" And remember, the choice to sell to somebody is yours. They show up and you don't like the way they look, you are under no obligation to sell to them.

A two part bill of sale is highly recommended. You sign one part as a receipt for the buyer's money and they sign one part as a receipt for your gun. They get the part with your signature and you get the part with their signature. Both parts of the bill of sale should contain the printed names of the parties, the date, amount of money, make model and serial number of the gun and the applicable person's signature.

That's it according to VA state law and Federal law.
That's how I did it in CO. Driver's license is good to see for proof of residency. Some states, like CO, allow sale to non-res in the military as well, so military ID would be required.

Gunslinger

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
That's how I did it in CO. Driver's license is good to see for proof of residency. Some states, like CO, allow sale to non-res in the military as well, so military ID would be required.
Actually, all states allow sales to "non-res" military because as soon as an active duty military member arrives in a state with permanent orders to that state, by Federal law, for firearms transactions, they become residents of the state they are ordered to.

I wasn't aware of that being law. What about states which require some type of permit to own a handgun? NYC comes to mind. I know MA will issue, readily, a non-res pistol permit, but there is no such thing in NY. IL Firearms IDs come to mind as well. Only resident. Do you have a citation?

Answered the question about IL: non-res, obviously including Military, are exempt from the FOID requirement while in the state if lawfully seized of the weapon in their own state. Would apply to an extended stay, for example at Great Lakes or Scott. Now NY? Anybody know?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
im selling srpingfield armory 1911 GI champion 4'' barrel,3 mags,dual mag holster,pistol holster and case, it has only 201 rounds of winchester fired, 520$

thank you
Is this you discussed on the other thread? The gunthatwas giving youtrouble?