• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jamestown-Scotland Ferry?

raftgyde

imported post

Can anyone tell me the rules for OC or CC on the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry? I checked their website and the only restrictions they list are for vehicle sizes. http://virginiadot.org/travel/ferry-jamestown.asp

But, under Press Release on that page they list "Security Screening Coming to Jamestown-Scotland Ferry." When I took a look at the press release it states, "Beginning July 1, security guards at the ferry will conduct random screening of passengers and their vehicles in an effort to prevent dangerous substances and devices from boarding the ferry."

On the FAQ, the question is, "What are they looking for?" and they say, "Items that could result in significant loss of life, environmental damage, or a disruption to the transportation system"

ferry_securitysign.jpg

So what's a dangerous device? I'm so confused!

I bet MSC 45ACP will know.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

usnavy_233

imported post

As long as you are in accordance with VA law, you're good to go. This is straight from the horse's mouth at the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry. (757) 294-3354

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've also OC'd on the ferry. No problems. They're looking for BG's and that sign covers the legal side of what we already know DHS can do anyway. I've taken the ferry to the farm a few times. I think it takes longer to get there becuase sometimes you have to wait for a boat.

Semper Paratus!

:)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was a little concerned about it too ..but I've always OC;ed. The last time I was on it, was approached by two of the guards and I got ready for a fight. Turned out they were interested in Zeus. The gun never got mentioned and we had an enjoyable conversation about the history of the ferry's and which one to take for the most entertaining trip.

papabear

imported post

I have had my vehile checked at that ferry .They told me they were doing what there boss told them to do, by looking at every 3rd or 4th vehicle. Asked what they looked for ,there main concern was flammables.Such as propane tanks etc.

They did not conduct a very thorough search. You know pop the trunk,Are you carrying anything illeagle.Looked inside the car ,was no big deal.They seemed to be pretty nice fellas.

OCd on this ferry on my bike a couple of times , absolutely no issues.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I was a little concerned about it too ..but I've always OC;ed. The last time I was on it, was approached by two of the guards and I got ready for a fight. Turned out they were interested in Zeus. The gun never got mentioned and we had an enjoyable conversation about the history of the ferry's and which one to take for the most entertaining trip.
Do tell... Which vessel provides thebest entertainment?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Do tell... Which vessel provides thebest entertainment?
The Pocahontas. It is supposed to be much nicer and have better viewing areas.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

:D

Of course! Pocahontas had a nicer stern, and her bow probably didn't look bad, either.
Being the newest, she should be more attractive than Surry, Williamsburg and Virginia.

usnavy_233

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
:D

Of course! Pocahontas had a nicer stern, and her bow probably didn't look bad, either.
Being the newest, she should be more attractive than Surry, Williamsburg and Virginia.

I'll never look at the ferry system the same way now. Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some of you folks need to come out for late-night/early morning rides on the ferry. The river can be spectacular, and you can meet some of the most interesting people. It's not Jeff Davis at 3:30 AM on Sunday morning (ask me about my hobby) but it is educational.

Helps if you know where the nearest places are to get coffee at those hours.

Oh! Do not stop and light up the deer herds in the fields with your 980-lumen flashlight while you are carrying -- if there is a Game Warden/Deputy around. :cool:

stay safe.

skidmark

Tomahawk

imported post

Jamestown to Scotland? Wow, must be a loooooong boat ride! :p

Seriously, though: I thought OC on Virgina waterways was a no-no due to DGIF rules, no? Here in NOVA, for example, Burke Lake Park is fine for OC, as long as you stay off the lake itself and remain "feet dry".

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Seriously, though: I thought OC on Virgina waterways was a no-no due to DGIF rules, no? Here in NOVA, for example, Burke Lake Park is fine for OC, as long as you stay off the lake itself and remain "feet dry".

Perhaps someone that doesn't live around here shouldn't make inane comments about our geography or ignorant comments about carrying on waterways. The only waterway I'm aware of that Virginians can't carry on is the Potomac, because Maryland owns it up to the low tide line on the VA side, except for rivers and bays on the VA side and in that case, its from headland to headland across the "mouth" of such waterway.

You can carry on the Chesapeake Bay south of Smith Point and anywhere else NOT in Maryland waters.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

I really hate it when someone says this Hawk...but Cite??????

Tomahawk

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Perhaps someone that doesn't live around here shouldn't make inane comments about our geography or ignorant comments about carrying on waterways.
Perhaps you should get a sense of humor. You're as bad as HankT. Sorry to hurt your feelings, big guy.

As for a cite, I don't have one. I'm just making a joke and asking a question. Sorry to ruffle your waterfowl feathers. But I'll try to find the DGIF regs about carrying on Virginia waterways.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

PLEASE don't compare me to HANKY... Sorry I didn't have a sense of humor. I'm still trying to recover from 22 years of working for Uncle Sam's Confused Group (CG).

My feelings weren't hurt. takes a lot more than that to get through this hide. I've never heard of any DGIF regs about carrying on waterways. I know when we went aboard a boat, we would ask the captain of a vessel if he had any weapons aboard. We would ask where they were and while the crew of the vessel and the Captain stayed in one area with the rest of the boarding team, someone else would find the weapon(s), clear them, and put the ammo in a different place from the weapon. we would do this for our safety during the boarding. When we left the boat, we would tell the Captain where we had put the weapons and ammo. Never had a problem except when we asked one guy where his weapon was, he was in a position to draw it from it's concealed place, but not before having a metal clipboard thrown at him and then two .45's pointed at him by two very nervous "kids" (myself and another Coastie). I was 18 at the time.

We didn't enforce state laws. We DID detain people that violated state fisheries laws until MNRP could get there and deal with it. We never enforced any weapons laws except for checking weapons to see if they were capable of fully automatic fire.

Semper Paratus;
msc

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Perhaps someone that doesn't live around here shouldn't make inane comments about our geography or ignorant comments about carrying on waterways.
Perhaps you should get a sense of humor. You're as bad as HankT. Sorry to hurt your feelings, big guy.

As for a cite, I don't have one. I'm just making a joke and asking a question. Sorry to ruffle your waterfowl feathers. But I'll try to find the
DGIF regs about carrying on Virginia waterways.

prev | next

4VAC15-270-40. Shooting or carrying rifle or pistol over public inland waters.

It shall be unlawful to shoot a rifle or pistol at wild birds or animals on or over the public inland waters of this Commonwealth; provided, however that licensed trappers may shoot a.22 caliber rimfire rifle or pistol on or over public inland waters for the purpose of dispatching a trapped animal. It shall be unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or pistol on a boat or other floating device on the public inland waters for the purpose of hunting wild birds and wild animals; provided, however, that unloaded rifles or pistols may be transported by boat from one point to another. Nothing in this regulation applies to department personnel conducting wildlife management activities on the public waters of the Commonwealth.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-103, 29.1-501, and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR325-02-25 § 4; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 6, eff. July 1, 2008.

[line]

prev | next | new search | table of contents | home

I don't OC a weapon on a boat for the purpose of hunting, so I'm good to go!

:cool:

2a4all

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
DGIF regs about carrying on Virginia waterways.

prev | next

4VAC15-270-40. Shooting or carrying rifle or pistol over public inland waters.

It shall be unlawful to shoot a rifle or pistol at wild birds or animals on or over the public inland waters of this Commonwealth; provided, however that licensed trappers may shoot a.22 caliber rimfire rifle or pistol on or over public inland waters for the purpose of dispatching a trapped animal. It shall be unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or pistol on a boat or other floating device on the public inland waters for the purpose of hunting wild birds and wild animals; provided, however, that unloaded rifles or pistols may be transported by boat from one point to another. Nothing in this regulation applies to department personnel conducting wildlife management activities on the public waters of the Commonwealth.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-103, 29.1-501, and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR325-02-25 § 4; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 6, eff. July 1, 2008.

[line]

prev | next | new search | table of contents | home

I don't OC a weapon on a boat for the purpose of hunting, so I'm good to go!

:cool:

The purpose for which youOC a weapon may be determined by your friendly Conservation Police Officer, i.e if it's deer season and you're near the shore with a gun, you're hunting. No license, no problem; non-hunters don't have guns!

MSC 45ACP mentioned in a previous post that he never enforced any state (VA?) laws, but

§ 29.1-205. Power to make arrests.

All conservation police officers are vested with the authority, upon displaying a badge or other credential of office, to issue a summons or to arrest any person found in the act of violating any of the provisions of the hunting, trapping, inland fish and boating laws.

Regular conservation police officers are vested with the same authority as sheriffs and other law-enforcement officers to enforce all of the criminal laws of the Commonwealth.

Any special conservation police officer shall have general police power while performing his duty on properties owned or controlled by the Board.

Any commissioned, warrant or petty officers of the United States Coast Guard and of the United States Coast Guard Reserve while engaged on active duty, in the conduct of their official duties in uniform, and any officers of the customs as defined by 19 U.S.C. § 1709(b), in the conduct of their official duties in uniform, shall have the same power to make arrests under Chapter 7 (§ 29.1-700 et seq.) of Title 29.1 as conservation police officers.

Tomahawk

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Looks like you're okay for OC, but as another poster says it's one of those stupid regs that leaves it open to the ranger's interpretation, which is never good for objective law. I don't think any judge would say you're hunting while carrying on a ferry boat, but if you wind up in a courtroom it's already gone too far, of course.

You're no Hank, I'm just hackin' on ya.