• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Posting Etiquette

WARCHILD

imported post

How about we try to govern ourselves people. The Mod's can't do it all. I think if we all follow a few simple rules it may work out. Then again the way this forum is going, the Mod's can just delete this. JMHO:uhoh:

Posting Etiquette
1. Keep it civil (we are all supposed to be adults)
2. If you feel the need for a stronger response, use the
Private Message function

3. Cite to authority (or ask for help to do so)
4. Please use Spell Check, sometimes it makes it difficult to
understand your point with misspelled words.

5. Don’t feed the TROLLS, if there is a suspected troll;
just don’t respond, IGNORE THEM
]

autosurgeon

imported post

+1

I know why the owners of this site cut back on Moderators BUT I think it was a mistake. If you have a bad mod get rid of them... don't dump em all...

That said with two Mods for the entire site we the people must police ourselves... and that means NO FOUL LANGUAGE! NO BAITING! and ignoring the trolls as was said.

One other point I would ask that folks go and reread the posting rukles on the main page of this site and also that we all go back and remove all foul language that we might have left in our posts.

Mike (one of the founders and owners of this site) did ask that we do this as we want this to be a family friendly place.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This is from the OCDO rules section.

[align=center][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]******************[/font][/align]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]NOTE: This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry,firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focussed. If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks![/font]

[align=center]******************[/align]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Welcome to OpenCarry.org'sdiscussion forum, and intrgral part of our Internet Community dedicated to helping people understand the shifting landscape of open carry laws in the US, and providing a networking base for the open carry movement which has become a major force now in the gun rights revolution. All are welcome but we do have a few rules. [/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1) Caption your thread like a newspaper headline - make it descriptive so that others will know what it is a about.

2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty. OCDO is not a general discussion forum on polticis, religion, the current President, etc. Take that somewhere else!

3) Keep the profanity to a minimum - and then, after you find yourselves using it, go back after you have reflected and edit it out, especially those F-Bombs! Though this area of the web site is a bit of free speech area, the threads necessarily reflect upon the open carry movement as the press and general public do read our postings. Please go back and search your posts and edit out those F-bombs, thanks!
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]4) Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances!

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

6) We reserve the right to remove posting for any reason, at our sole discretion.
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbant upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when avaiable,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.[/font]

8) General: No shouting in All Capital Letters. Use "substantially proper" capitalization, punctuation, and grammer as best you can. Use of abbreviations and acronymns shold be minimized and always defined.

9) No stalking of other users. This includes creating accounts with similar names, avatars and personal information in an attempt to confuse others as to the views of the original poster.

10) YOU OWN YOUR WORDS ONCE THEY ARE POSTED! While I will attempt to help those who have a legitimate need to remove postings they have made in haste or error, my time and ability to do so is not unlimited and there is no guarantee that such a request will be granted. Therefore, post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
LEGAL DISCLAIMER

All advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an attorney, law enforcement official or expert in a given field, there is no way to verify that fact. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!
[/font]

mastiff69

imported post

All i will say on this note, if you put on hear, it dosen't just stay hear, EVERBODY can read it. And that means, if you haven't figured it out is this ( Everything that you say CAN and WILL be used against you in Private, in Public, or in A COURT OF LAW!!!!!)

CHOOSE YOUR WORDS WITH CARE AND INTEGRETY, AS YOU WILL BE JUDGED BY THOSE WORDS:cuss:, OR ACTIONS.........:what:

PS if you want to have a PEEING contest do it by PRIVATE MESSAGES

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Posting Etiquette
1. Keep it civil (we are all supposed to be adults)
2. If you feel the need for a stronger response, use the
Private Message function

3. Cite to authority (or ask for help to do so)
4. Please use Spell Check, sometimes it makes it difficult to
understand your point with misspelled words.

5. Don’t feed the TROLLS, if there is a suspected troll;
just don’t respond, IGNORE THEM
]

Good ideas on the surface, butI beg leave to gently disagree with several in thebig picture.

2. Stronger response: these are sometimes appropriate. I've had a few idiot-types just shut up and drop their nonsense when I hit them with a stronger message combined with facts or something that made sense. I'm sure others have, too.

3. Despite Mike and John's use of the phrase, one cannot "cite to authority". One cites authority. I shall cite authority for this--Antonin Scalia. At the 1:40

http://www.lawprose.org/interviews/supreme_court.php?vid=scalia_part_1&vidtitle=Associate_Justice_Antonin_Scalia_Part_1

4. Spellcheck. I've become a lot more tolerant of spelling errors and grammar over my time here. I came to realize that we are messaging, as compared to writing a book or letter. A few errors here and there are usually not going to cause a problem. I will go along with proper use of caps and periods, though. Below that point it does seem burdensome to decrypt a post.

5. Trolls. I love them. With only a very few exceptions, they give the newer guys a chance to hone their arguments and examine things from more angles than they might otherwise. Also, one can learn things reading the other posts responding to the trolls. I can't tell you how much I've learned in connection with trolls and certain other anti-freedom types.

The problem with trolls comes from our side getting too worked up over them. When a few of our guys get into name calling and so forth, then it loses something. The way to win on this I think is not to ignore trolls, but to remind any of our own hot heads to cool it and use good arguments.

taxwhat

imported post

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well- intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing

Venator

imported post

Interesting but I like to look at common sense this way as well.

On common sense: Randy Wayne White wrote in his novel Captiva [/i]“It is a character standard from folklore in which “good old common sense” is an essential bedrock ingredient. But too often “common sense” is a safe harbor of ignorance and an excuse for intellectual laziness. They don’t need the facts because they already know the truth—their common sense has spared them the effort of investigation or thought.

PT111

imported post

How about we try to govern ourselves people.

It is often quoted on here that "An armed society is a polite society", and if this were true there would be no need at all for moderators on this forum. For some reason this armed society does not seem to be following the polite society guidelines in general. However it does appear that the definition of polite runs the gamut of opinions as much as the defintions of 2A.

What is forbidden by some is necessary by others and is the reason that the number of moderators is now only two. The opinions of the various moderators conflicted too much with the opinions of the posters that the moderators would up being banned in select few cases. We need to all remember that we have no "right" to post here, only permission and we need to respect that.

mikestilly

imported post

Unfortunately this message board is on the decline. I've been ignored by the supposed "moderator". Important posts are pushed down while "Your Momma" "your wife" posts are pushed to the top. I'll be back when I see a change. I'm interested in adult family friendly discourse about open carry. If we're resorted to a teen chat board high school jokes, personal attacks, etc. I have better things to do with my time. I'm a very busy person and have better things to do then to be posting with this type of crap all over the board. I don't want to be associated with it.

Mike

autosurgeon

imported post

Hey Mike stay around... every board has growing pains and this one is no diff.. I do agree that something needs to be done!

One thing that could help would be if each state had a couple of Moderators that were only able to lock and report threads. Then Mike and J wouldn't have as much work looking for the offensive threads...

Or like on MGO a report function that any member can use to alert admin of possible trouble brewing.

cabman1

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Hey Mike stay around... every board has growing pains and this one is no diff.. I do agree that something needs to be done!

One thing that could help would be if each state had a couple of Moderators that were only able to lock and report threads. Then Mike and J wouldn't have as much work looking for the offensive threads...

Or like on MGO a report function that any member can use to alert admin of possible trouble brewing.

I think thats a great idea!!!

Venator

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:

This was done but the owners of the site remain total control over the site and choose not to have moderators. The problem with moderators is that they are all different and hence no consistency when moderating. When you have only two moderators the consistency is up, but so is the demand for your time.

So we have to live with what we have and ignore the posts you don't like and enjoy the posts you do. Don't dump the baby out with the bath water. 99% of the post here are helpful and informative. That ain't bad.

autosurgeon

imported post

Venator wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

This was done but the owners of the site remain total control over the site and choose not to have moderators. The problem with moderators is that they are all different and hence no consistency when moderating. When you have only two moderators the consistency is up, but so is the demand for your time.

So we have to live with what we have and ignore the posts you don't like and enjoy the posts you do. Don't dump the baby out with the bath water. 99% of the post here are helpful and informative. That ain't bad.
The best thing would be if everyone would just think before they post :what:

I understand their position and how mods can be a problem in and of themselves...