• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why the Nobel Peace Prize Should Go to Nuclear Weapons

dclabounty

imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091011/us_time/08599192955300

snip
A world with nuclear weapons in it is a scary, scary place to think about. The industrialized world without nuclear weapons was a scary, scary place for real. But there is no way to un-ring the nuclear bell. The science and technology of nuclear weapons is widespread, and if nukes are outlawed someday, only outlaws will have nukes.

And yet why can't they realize that this is what will happen if guns are outlawed?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

It doesn't fit their (Time's or the loonie-statists) agenda.

I have offered my services to an acquaintance in introducing him to the Nobel Prize ceremony. The same one whose essay 'The Mathematical Impossibility of Compromise' I have posted here when occasion is apropos. He also has the best challenge to a subtle aspect of GR.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

whiskaz_55 wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091011/us_time/08599192955300

snip
A world with nuclear weapons in it is a scary, scary place to think about. The industrialized world without nuclear weapons was a scary, scary place for real. But there is no way to un-ring the nuclear bell. The science and technology of nuclear weapons is widespread, and if nukes are outlawed someday, only outlaws will have nukes.

And yet why can't they realize that this is what will happen if guns are outlawed?
Where's the origin of that phrase? Wasn't it originally guns instead of nukes? So by saying that, it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to guns.