• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General public cant carry condition 1?

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

Last night I went to Regal Cinemas in Manassas with my sister and girlfriend. I stopped over at borders to get a cup of iced tea and saw the ARMED cinema guard getting some coffee. I approached him and asked him if I was open or concealed carry if that would be in some hot water with regal being there are NO signs what so ever on any windows, doors, or ticket offices.

This was so interesting... He said that someone came in the other night OC and he mentioned it to the manager. The manager retorted with "I dunno why he would need that" and just walked away. So evidently Regal Cinemas, at least in Manassas is OC acceptable. I say that because I would imagine if we did some sort of gathering they would get a little nervous about that.

Now, later in the conversation he mentioned he carries a 9mm rather than his 45ACP at work. So I asked him, hes a Mason Police officer. And somehow the conversation moved to carrying condition 1. He said that the public is not allowed to carry condition 1. Claimed that only police can carry with a round chambered.

I was very confused by the situation because I saw nothing in the CHP training, nor anywhere on here where we cant carry ready to defend ourselves. I highly doubt a BG would be willing to wait for a moment while he is pointing a gun or other weapon at our bodies somewhere he is going to do serious bodily harm while we rack our slide.

Can anyone weigh in on this? My assumption would be this was an older code that has since been changed with the increased use of open and concealed carry. I typically dont carry with a round in the chamber because Im close to home and in no imminent danger that I wouldnt be able to counter or notice quickly. However when Im in Arlington I carry condition 1, with police seeing me and not saying a word.

Marco

imported post

Hog wash!!!
Next time ask the person to cite the code.

The theater is posted but it is hard to see, it isn't on the doors but the glass entrance area.

curtiswr

imported post

He is uninformed and has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. If it is legal for you to possess and carry a handgun then you can carry it in any condition you please. The law doesn't make any stipulations as to conditions of carry. That's just something the gun guys like to argue back and forth about which is better and why. :lol:

If you go back and happen to see him again you should attempt to educate him. If he is still persistent, ask for the code section that specifically says no condition 1 for Joe Public.

The only thing that I think could come close to causing him this confusion would be this:
§ 18.2-287.4.
Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Hog wash!!!

The theater is posted but it is hard to see, it isn't on the doors but the glass entrance area.
He said he couldnt cite the code from memory, but I think he noticed a little bit of apprehension on my face.

And I looked all over for the sign, I couldnt find one anywhere!

But he said with someone carrying he would have no reason to ask them to leave. His only qualm would have been its "dangerous" with so many people and kids who like to touch and "use the little fingers and could get their finger on the trigger."

In all honesty, I didnt really like his attitude towards OC, he just made it seem like we are very irresponsible. But we know the truth there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Hog wash!!!

Agent 19 is a lot more polite than I.

My comment would be Bullshit!

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only problem I see going here is that people continue to ask permission!!! This whole garbage idea of asking permission has got to stop.
It really reminds me of the lines 'Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies' and 'It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission'

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

Toad wrote:
The only problem I see going here is that people continue to ask permission!!! This whole garbage idea of asking permission has got to stop.
It really reminds me of the lines 'Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies' and 'It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission'
I only ask out of respect and not ruining a night with my girlfriend. I understand your thoughts on this and I completely respect, but it is something that has always been expected of me. And it is something I dont feel comfortable about doing.

ODA 226

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Last night I went to Regal Cinemas in Manassas with my sister and girlfriend. I stopped over at borders to get a cup of iced tea and saw the ARMED cinema guard getting some coffee. I approached him and asked him if I was open or concealed carry if that would be in some hot water with regal being there are NO signs what so ever on any windows, doors, or ticket offices.

PLEASE! Do not ask a business about not having "NO GUN" signs!

It's the fastest way to find a "NO GUN" sign the next time you visit that establishment!

nova

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

PLEASE! Do not ask a business about not having "NO GUN" signs!

It's the fastest way to find a "NO GUN" sign the next time you visit that establishment!
+1.

And did you get the name of the guy? If he claims to be a GMU officer, a letter to the GMU police chief might be in order if they are uneducated on VA law...

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
And did you get the name of the guy? If he claims to be a GMU officer, a letter to the GMU police chief might be in order if they are uneducated on VA law...
I don't really see why this is necessary.....seems to be rather incendiary for no reason.
I see it as necessary because GMU PD not only has jurisdiction on GMU's campus but also on all adjoining roads. They're commonly seen in the shopping center across the street, and all through the City of Fairfax, both places I regularly open carry. It is a bad thing when a sworn law enforcement officer preaches things as law when they are in fact not.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
I don't really see why this is necessary.....seems to be rather incendiary for no reason.
I see it as necessary because GMU PD not only has jurisdiction on GMU's campus but also on all adjoining roads. They're commonly seen in the shopping center across the street, and all through the City of Fairfax, both places I regularly open carry. It is a bad thing when a sworn law enforcement officer preaches things as law when they are in fact not.
I remember looking at his name, but I cant remember it fully from memory. E. Gebbxxx something I think. I thought he was way off too, but hey, GMU officers uneducated? That cant possibly be true! I mean anyone pulled over after dark near or on campus MUST be drunk?

I wasnt surprised when he said it, mostly because I think CHP training would suggest otherwise. It would defeat the purpose of having a gun if you had to rack it, giving the BG that much more of an advantage.

TexasNative

imported post

Not meaning to offend anyone, but it's pretty silly to carry a gun without a round chambered. "I'm almost ready to defend myself, let me just do this one little thing first, okay?"

This reminds me of the often-reported conversation when someone asked an open-carrier, "Isn't that dangerous?" The answer: "It damn well better be! I wouldn't be carrying it otherwise."

~ Boyd

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:

BUT......the officer in question was not serving in his capacity (apparently from the story) as a GMU police officer, but rather as a private security guard for the theater. Was he in a GMU uniform? Your suggestion that "they (GMU Police)are uneducated about Virginia law" is a bit over the top. Believe me when I say that I worked with ALOT of deputies that were not "gun people" and couldnt even tell you what Condition 1 was. Maybe the officer didnt really know and was embarassed by the question since he didnt know the answer, and he got it wrong....stuff happens.

The OP engaged the officer/guard in a conversation and the officer/guard made a mistake in his reply. He was misinformed. He didnt confront the OP nor did he take any official action which inhibited or restricted the rights of the OP in any way. Gosh, if I called someone's manager everytime a human being made a mistake, I'd be on the phone all damn day.

"What do you mean that the item is not in stock? I called yesterday and you had 2. I'm sending a letter to your boss to complain!"

"Waitress, I ordered my eggs scrambled, these are fried. I want to see your manager right now"....

I have no problem holding people accountable for serious mistakes, but I don't play tattle-tale if someone makes a simple mistake. Shouldn't we have a bit more compassion and understanding for another human being than that?

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:

BUT......the officer in question was not serving in his capacity (apparently from the story) as a GMU police officer, but rather as a private security guard for the theater. Was he in a GMU uniform? Your suggestion that "they (GMU Police)are uneducated about Virginia law" is a bit over the top. Believe me when I say that I worked with ALOT of deputies that were not "gun people" and couldnt even tell you what Condition 1 was. Maybe the officer didnt really know and was embarassed by the question since he didnt know the answer, and he got it wrong....stuff happens.

The OP engaged the officer/guard in a conversation and the officer/guard made a mistake in his reply. He was misinformed. He didnt confront the OP nor did he take any official action which inhibited or restricted the rights of the OP in any way. Gosh, if I called someone's manager everytime a human being made a mistake, I'd be on the phone all damn day.

"What do you mean that the item is not in stock? I called yesterday and you had 2. I'm sending a letter to your boss to complain!"

"Waitress, I ordered my eggs scrambled, these are fried. I want to see your manager right now"....

I have no problem holding people accountable for serious mistakes, but I don't play tattle-tale if someone makes a simple mistake. Shouldn't we have a bit more compassion and understanding for another human being than that?
I understand what you're saying but I don't see how it matters in this situation. He's the same person with the same knowledge of the law whether he's on duty as a police officer or working as a private security guard.

I never said GMU PD is uneducated on gun laws, in fact, I've frequently said the opposite in the OC in NoVA thread. I've OC'd past countless GMU PD officers off campus and none ever gave me a second glance when passing by. They are very professional in fact. But as we've seen countless times before, sure there are a few bad apples in the bunch that don't know or are ignorant of the law. GMU is a small police dept. so there are probably less "bad apples" as a matter of statistics.

I've been wanting to communicate with the chief just because I'm curious as to what memos or other training regarding people carrying they've received. I know they are aware that it is legal on campus for vehicles passing through as they have a pdf file on their site that recommends notifying the officer if you have a concealed handgun permit and if you have any weapons...notice it recommends, not requires.

nova

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
I remember looking at his name, but I cant remember it fully from memory. E. Gebbxxx something I think. I thought he was way off too, but hey, GMU officers uneducated? That cant possibly be true! I mean anyone pulled over after dark near or on campus MUST be drunk?

I wasnt surprised when he said it, mostly because I think CHP training would suggest otherwise. It would defeat the purpose of having a gun if you had to rack it, giving the BG that much more of an advantage.
Could his name have been Edward Gannon (listed as MPO at GMU PD)?

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

nova wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:

Could his name have been Edward Gannon (listed as MPO at GMU PD)?
Possibly. I wanna say there were "b"s in his name... But I cant remember