• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO Hassle in Greensboro I've had

Kivuli

imported post

I was picking up some chinese food from the Bridford Pkwy Golden Wok when I noticed an officer pull up at the same time I did. He looked like he wanted to park somewhere and was blocking me, so I put my turn signal on to let him know I wanted to park. He moved over a couple spaces and parked himself but didn't get out. I went in, got my food, came back out. As I got to my car, I heard the officer call to me from the entrance to Golden Wok.

HE asked me at first if I had a permit to carry "that" and I replied that you don't need one. He then started lecturing me on how you can't go out into public carrying a weapon like that, especially not the businesses. People might get into an uproar. He said that he wasn't trying to infringe upon my rights, but that in this city it was against the law to carry like that. I replied that I knew that NC state law had no such law and that Greensboro did not either. I thought about mentioning preemption but I got the impression he just wanted the incident over with and I didn't feel like hassling him back. After a bit more lecturing about common sense, I thanked him for the information and told him that I would cover my weapon for now, and asked him for a business card. He replied he had none, but that his name is F.J. Brewer and his badge number is 540. If I wished to contact his superiors I could call dispatch.

I haven't, because my food was getting cold, but I shall indeed send off a written notice to his superiors. I suspect this was an isolated incident given the incredible cooperation the GPD has given open carriers before.

RayBurton72

imported post

Kivuli wrote:
I was picking up some chinese food from the Bridford Pkwy Golden Wok when I noticed an officer pull up at the same time I did. He looked like he wanted to park somewhere and was blocking me, so I put my turn signal on to let him know I wanted to park. He moved over a couple spaces and parked himself but didn't get out. I went in, got my food, came back out. As I got to my car, I heard the officer call to me from the entrance to Golden Wok.

HE asked me at first if I had a permit to carry "that" and I replied that you don't need one. He then started lecturing me on how you can't go out into public carrying a weapon like that, especially not the businesses. People might get into an uproar. He said that he wasn't trying to infringe upon my rights, but that in this city it was against the law to carry like that. I replied that I knew that NC state law had no such law and that Greensboro did not either. I thought about mentioning preemption but I got the impression he just wanted the incident over with and I didn't feel like hassling him back. After a bit more lecturing about common sense, I thanked him for the information and told him that I would cover my weapon for now, and asked him for a business card. He replied he had none, but that his name is F.J. Brewer and his badge number is 540. If I wished to contact his superiors I could call dispatch.

I haven't, because my food was getting cold, but I shall indeed send off a written notice to his superiors. I suspect this was an isolated incident given the incredible cooperation the GPD has given open carriers before.
Sounds like F.J needs a little refresher in the law and slice of humble pie.

ocgso

imported post

Racer X wrote:
Love some Golden Wok. Sorry to hear you ran into an not so well informed LEO.

Never had an issue like that in GSO, sounds like you ran into someone who just doesn't know what he is talking about......

Problem with LEO is that every now and then you run across one that thinks his opinion is the law, sounds like you got one of those that day. Please do send a statement in writing (via certified mail) to his supervisor that requests a reply. If we let these things go, it only allows folks like this one to impose his opinion and infringe upon good people's rights.

My 2 cents...