• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPS Mass mailing re: Firearm Transfer Documents and Data

Edward Peruta

imported post

NEWS FLASH

I have been informed that DPS has sent letters to individuals across the state regarding the DPS-3-c forms for transferring handguns.

DPS seems to be threatening individuals across the state because THEY don't have information in their files.

More to follow on this topic after a planned Freedom of Information Request is made to DPS regarding the number of letters sent out and the number of missing forms.

I will scan and include the text of a recently obtained letter in the near future.

Here is the text of the letter, I removed the name of the individual and the authorization numberso asto protecthis identity.

NAME REDACTED

Subject: Late DPS-3-C (Sale of Transfer of All Firearms).

Recently you obtained an authorization number(s) for the following firearm(s) transaction(s). To date we have not received a DPS-3-C for the firearm(s). We are asking that you immediately send the Sale or Transfer form(s) to us as required by Connecticut General Statutes, 29-33(e) referencing handguns, 29-37(b) referencing long guns and 53-202(g), which references machine guns. Additional forms can be obtained through this unit or on-line at http://www.state.ct.us/dps.

Should we not receive the DPS-3-C('s) as required byConnecticut General Statutes, by the close of business on October 22, 2009, your right to obtain authorization numbers in this state will be suspended until all missing
DPS-3-C's have been received by this unit.

Should a sale be cancelled or not completed, you as the seller must notify this office by fax, (860) 685-8496, with that authorization/reference number, date and name of purchaser along with your name/business name.

Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Department of Public Safety
Division of State Police
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit

Enclosure:
Cf.

Authorization number(s):

buketdude

imported post

i got one on Saturday..i have this week off and am going there Tuesday and personally handing them the form....i love how they say "recently" for a transaction that took place in March and for which i already sent them the form...

minus

imported post

Rumor has it they lost over 600 transfer forms. Oh how much easier it would be if we just had to do 4473 forms.

minus

imported post

I also believe this has a lot to do with the fact that they got rid of the po box and that some places may be using outdated forms. I personally transferred a firearm and had to call DPS who advised me the po box was no longer around and it needed to be mailed to Middletown.

Farva911

imported post

I got one myself Saturday saying the same thing referencing an authorization number that was to a pistol I turned in to a dealer. I spoke with the dealer and he said they have had several customers call him about the letters as well he had 40+ requests about pistols he has sold. You can bet I will be at the department of public safety first thing Tuesday to turn in my copy in person so there is no losing it.

Edward Peruta

imported post

For the record:

Missing DPS-3-C info

I suggest that everyonewho has received these letters hold off on submitting any information until we know why they have NOT received submitted documents.

DPS needs to explain why they are creating emotional distress and confusion over this issue without a proper explanation to the recipients of the letters.

The main stream media will soon be notified regarding this incident.

Anyone who received a letter and is willing to share their true identity, please email me at edperuta@amcable.tv.

DPS has much to explain on this topic.

KenBGlock19

imported post

I got one, too...regarding FOUR forms from twp private sales.

I was told by Bridgeport PD that I DIDN'T need to send the form into the state after submitting it to BPD! I even told them that the website said to send it to the State Police, but she insisted that I was fine after giving them the form. Now I'm in "trouble" for following what the police told me to do.

Now, my name is smudged with the DPS. Outfreakingstanding. :cuss:

Edward Peruta

imported post

For the Record:

Anyone calling DPSafter receiving one of theseletters should consider asking these questions.

I intend on asking these questions on Tuesday morning at DPS Headquarters.

How many letters were sent out regarding missing DPS-3-C forms since October 1, 2009?

How many DPS-3-Cs were unaccounted for at the time DPS mailed the letters?

How many authorization numbers are involved with the letters sent?

What is the oldest authorization number where no DPS-3-C was submitted?

When did the situation regarding these missing DPS-3-C forms become known to DPS?

Must authorization numbers be obtained and DPS-3-C forms submitted for PRIVATE sales of Long Guns?

Must anauthorization number be obtained or a Connecticut DPS-3-C be submitted if the handgun is soldby private sale outside the State of Connecticut? Example (NY, PA, MASS, RI, NH,VT or Maine?)

30 cal slut

imported post

i got one on saturday as well.

for a handgun sale to a DEALER back in December '08!

GoldCoaster

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Does CT have a firearms registry?

Sounds like they are creating one.......
No they are creating a confiscation list and want to make sure they get everything during the initial visit so as not to cause any unnecessary hassles due to a second visit.

tmzphoto

imported post

I received one of these for a gun I sold to a gunshop on October 15, 2002. According to the supervisor I eventually spoke to (her name was Diane Morrell), I received it as a glitch, because according to CT Statute 29-33, Section E, as the seller you are only required to retain the DPS-3-C for five years, and my transaction was seven years ago. She assured me that I should not have any problems obtaining authorizations, and there was nothing that I was required to do. She did suggest that in the future, should I sell something, it would be advisable to be sure to retain a copy of the forms, or even file the paperwork myself to be sure, since the gun shop is under no obligation to do so when they buy something, only when they sell something.

I suggested to Ms. Morrell that it might not be a bad idea to update the DPS-3-C form to include an advisory that the form should be retained for five years, since I had no idea that it was required by statute, or that gun shops had no requirement to file the paperwork we complete on their counters. She said that sounded like a good idea and that she would bring it up with her supervisor.

Of course, I won't know for sure that this is resolved until the next time I try to obtain an authorization, but for now, there doesn't seem to be any action I am required to take.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Simple solution

Call DPS and cancel authorization numbers listed in the letters.

THE PROBLEM: The weapons which were transferred will still be in the database under your name.

DPS has been asked to answer questions on this topic and have adviised me that the letter sent was computer generated. The computer generated a letter ment to be sent to dealers and not individuals.

While at DPS an individual known to me came in with documentation that the DPS-3-Cs were faxed to the DPS on 9-12-08.

Any attempt to prevent individuals from obtaining authorization numbers will be problematic due to their inability to prove it wasn't sent by First Class Mail or electronically.

It's a mess and DPS knows it.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I'm thinking there are some folks at DPS that content themselves each day to find things to put roadblocks in the path of normal law abiding folks getting what they want. These salaries are a good place to do some trimming instead of doubling the price of permits, hunting licenses, and such.

I don't think we should have onerous requirements put in our path to exercise a federally and state guaranteed right.

KenBGlock19

imported post

Hi Ed,

Spoke with DPS today - woman named Lisa. She wouldn't allow me to cancel due to the fact that the authorization numbers provided on the letter were from Sept. 2008 and when asked "who told me that I could cancel", I said Sgt. Doug Hall spoke with Ed Peruta and had advised this. She then said "ummm..." and HUNG UP ON ME.

Where do I go from here?!?

Thanks,
Ken Baylor
CCDL Member.