• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I OpenCarried today in front of 30+ cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I OpenCarried today in front of 30+ cops: Leesburg Police, Virginia State Police and Loudoun County

Everyone was kind and professional. I even got interviewed LIVE on channel 4 this mornng with re-runs thruout the day and not ONE mention of the firearm.

opencarrypalmtrees

open carry at all leesburg va events

yeah the leesburg PD doesn't normally care you open carry. I have gone to concerts 4th of july fairs and farmers market and even the parades. I didn't even know that you can have a drink and even open carry but not conceal carry. Now I wouldn't advise drinking while carrying but you can have a beer without getting in trouble as long as open carrying according to virginia law. As for me, I don't like to drink but I think its neat that we can excercise our rights here in the commonwealth. I like that someone can get a beer or a cup of wine without having any problems this is a great state. :)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
yeah the leesburg PD doesn't normally care you open carry. I have gone to concerts 4th of july fairs and farmers market and even the parades. I didn't even know that you can have a drink and even open carry but not conceal carry. Now I wouldn't advise drinking while carrying but you can have a beer without getting in trouble as long as open carrying according to virginia law. As for me, I don't like to drink but I think its neat that we can excercise our rights here in the commonwealth. I like that someone can get a beer or a cup of wine without having any problems this is a great state. :)
Why do you keep bringing up posts that are years old?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
BAH! Get rid of that shirt ed!

Don't want to be a debbie downer Ed, and I realize you're just trying to be patriotic.....BUT

US Code, Chapter 4

§ 8. Respect for Flag.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

One may argue that you have on a shirt, not a "flag." In case anyone does they can read section 3 of chapter 4.

US Code, Chapter 4

§ 3. Use of flag for advertising purposes; mutilation of flag

The words "flag, standard, colors, or ensign", as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.

This is indeed federal law guys, the flag is a great symbol of this country and the men and women who fought and died for it. I spent some time in Honor Guard at the Base level in the Air Force, I know a bit about the flag and the way it is to be treated. Everytime I see someone with a flag shirt, hat, or their favorite football teams flag in the position of honor over the American flag I cringe inside. (most of the time it is military personell I see violating the flag! they don't even know!)

Please don't think I'm hammering you, you probably didn't know. Consider yourself informed and armed with knowledge :)

Sesrun

Although I do not condone the actions in either of the cases cited below, according to Supreme Court the enforcement of the United States Flag Code would be in violation of the First Amendment if applied to private citizens or groups. Therefore, the United States Flag Code is only binding on government institutions displaying the flag.

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989); United States v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).

cyras21

As a Marine who believes in what this country was founded on I say do whatever you see fit with the American flag. It your right. While I respect and fly it proudly day and night (yes it's lit) you may display it as you see fit no matter how despicable I or you may think it is.

Last edited:

Sesrun

It is NOT a flag, it is a stars and stripes shirt.

While still noting the US Flag Code doesn't apply to private citizens or groups & your right to display said flag as you see fit with no judgement from myself...

Yes [flags on T-shirts, ties, etc., are really flags]. According to the Flag Code, a flag is anything "by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag."

The words "flag, standard, colors, or ensign", as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.

Source: Flag Code, Section 3

Therefore, a flag includes any representation of it of any substance, with stars and stripes of any number. This would include T-shirts and ties.

Other references in the Flag Code relevant to this question are:

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. (section 8d)
It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like (section 8i)
[It should not be] printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes (section 8i)
The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature. (section 8g)
No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. (section 8j)

The Flag Code states that the flag should never be worn. (Section 8d): "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."
reference: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

But personally I think the shirt is a neat design...

Last edited:

wylde007

As a Marine who believes in what this country was founded on I say do whatever you see fit with the American flag. It your right. While I respect and fly it proudly day and night (yes it's lit) you may display it as you see fit no matter how despicable I or you may think it is.
What this country was founded on died 150 years ago.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
It is NOT a flag, it is a stars and stripes shirt.

Yes, that is usually the argument put forth by people who are violating the flag. That is why I cited Section 3 of the US Flag Code. It is law, it is just not enforced. Like some said, it can be construed to be a violation of ones First Amendment rights.

I just thought you didn't know you were actually disrespecting the flag in an attempt to respect it. I'm not trying to be harsh, but how you treat the flag is prohibited in a section called "Respect for the Flag." Thus you were doing the opposite of respecting the flag, aka disrespecting.

So continue to wear your shirt, step on your flag floor mat, and wipe food from your mouth with your flag napkins. It is your right to disrespect the flag consciously or not knowing about it at all. I thought that being a fellow patriot you would consider the words from a serviceman who serves under the flag, salutes the flag, and has buried brothers in arms draped in that flag. But no, you will turn your head and say it's just a shirt, it's just a floor mat, it's just a napkin. Do whatever what the hell do I know right?

Sorry, as you can see I take the flag very seriously. Most people don't understand. After arguing with an elderly man at church (they had it displayed wrong and he was trying to tell me, the honor guard airman who was citing the US Flag Code that I was wrong) everyone got on my case with, "dude, it's just a flag, it's just a piece of cloth." Tell that to the people who held it up while for McHenry was getting wasted. They died one after the other just to keep that flag flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.