• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hollywood's anti-civilian gun ownership agenda

Daddyo

imported post

1941- The Maltese Falcon. Humphrey Bogart proudly declares that he doesn't like guns and doesn't have much use for one.

1944- The Thin Man Goes Home. In the climactic "unveiling of the murderer" scene, William Powell suggests that the police search everyone for weapons because "these things usually end up in a shootout". One of the women protests saying "These are nice people. Respected members of the community. Why would any of them have guns?" Of course, many of them do, including one dude with a flintlock.

Humans are primarily visual learners. Little comments and scenes like these over the years is, at least in part, where the idea that only "official" people should have guns comes from.

It doesn't surprise me today, but I was amazed at how far back the anti- sentiment went.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Daddyo wrote:
1941- The Maltese Falcon. Humphrey Bogart proudly declares that he doesn't like guns and doesn't have much use for one.

1944- The Thin Man Goes Home. In the climactic "unveiling of the murderer" scene, William Powell suggests that the police search everyone for weapons because "these things usually end up in a shootout". One of the women protests saying "These are nice people. Respected members of the community. Why would any of them have guns?" Of course, many of them do, including one dude with a flintlock.

Humans are primarily visual learners. Little comments and scenes like these over the years is, at least in part, where the idea that only "official" people should have guns comes from.

It doesn't surprise me today, but I was amazed at how far back the anti- sentiment went.

Ol' Nick Charles was handy with a gun when he needed to be; but thatwasn't often with that fearless dog, Asta, to protect him.

Same for Bogie. Just ask Major Stasser!

If you want to see hilarity with a gun, look up Bob Hope's My Favorite Brunette.

old dog

imported post

Most offensive to me are the British movies, wherein the supercilious Scotland Yard detective comes on-scene and says to the man who protected himself with a firearm:
"Better let ME take care of that" as though he were some sort of superior being.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The end of the hegemony of the lamestream media began, for me at least, when I realized that it was not so much about culture as defining it and guiding it. Even SLimbaugh has backed off his claims about such evolution. <<SLimbaugh being firebrand Rusty Limbaugh's toned-down and drugged-up alter ego super-salesman.>>

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Then there's the stock scenario... the hero/heroine defeats the evil whatever with a firearm/sword or whatever weapon... looks at it... then throws it down in disgust.There some not-so-subtle psycho stuff goin' on there.Hating the thing that justhelped saveyour bacon is warped.

Then again... there's flicks like 'Shoot-'Em-Up' where the hero delivers a baby with one hand while engaged inna gunfight with a dozen bad guys at once.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

My favorite was the McGyver show in which he always treats guns as if they're covered with something slimy, except the one time he disassembles a revolver to use it as a wrench.

Marco

imported post

Let us not forget:

Angel and Bad Man
&
The Shootist

Both Starring John Wayne.

squisher

imported post

I remember MacGyver like that, but was surprised when I went back to watch the pilot episode and he's not only armed with a semi-auto rifle, but shooting it.

Although I will be the first to promote non-violent resolutions where possible, sometimes it is the threat of overwhelming violence on the part of the defender that makes those non-violent resolutions possible.

Thankfully though, Richard Dean Anderson's later famous appearance in Stargate:SG1 has him a little more gun friendly :)

Otherwise, yeah, hollywood/mainstream entertainment certainly appears to lean left a bit, and has for a while.

Daddyo

imported post

WIth Richard Dean Anderson acting and Henry Winkler producing, you knew MacGuyver was going to be anti-gun.

As one of the big dogs of Handgun Control Inc, Anderson's stint on Stargate just goes to show how hypocritical he is. The guns are ok for military use, but a big deal is made over how O'Neill's son killed himself with O'Neill's sidearm so therefore guns are bad if they're off-base.

I did like how in the first episode, Daniel "doesn't much care for guns", then has a change of heart once he's on the receiving end. Funny how that works. Nothing like lead (or energy bolts) flying in your direction to change your outlook on life.

squisher

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
WIth Richard Dean Anderson acting and Henry Winkler producing, you knew MacGuyver was going to be anti-gun.

As one of the big dogs of Handgun Control Inc, Anderson's stint on Stargate just goes to show how hypocritical he is. The guns are ok for military use, but a big deal is made over how O'Neill's son killed himself with O'Neill's sidearm so therefore guns are bad if they're off-base.

I did like how in the first episode, Daniel "doesn't much care for guns", then has a change of heart once he's on the receiving end. Funny how that works. Nothing like lead (or energy bolts) flying in your direction to change your outlook on life.
Missed that particular episode somehow...and forgot Daniel's comment too.

And I was too young to notice the politics of MacG.

Grr. Get the politics out of my entertainment!