• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbe to site with a few questions

Ohbjuan

imported post

Ok, just came across this website, I have a few questions that I have been unable to get an answer to anywhere else. Please be patient with me. I have lived in California most of my adult life and have to admit to ignorance of California firearm laws.
  1. In California do you need any kind of a gun permit, and do weapons need to be registered? I have two revolvers and two rifles that I inherited from my dad that are not registered, and I have no permit. I do have one rifle that was purchased for me in California as a gift about 20 years ago, so I don’t know if there was any kind of registration/permit process. I have tried the internet to get answers to these questions but cannot seem to get a good answer.I live in the Coachella Valley which is near Palm Springs. The crime rate is rising here with a lot of gun crimes against innocent people. I like the idea of ‘Open Carry’ and wonder if there is a group of folks in this area who are part of the movement to carry. Anyone know?I was taught gun safety the old fashion way by my dad, but have never taken a firearm safety class. I am thinking of doing that, anyone know of a good program in the Coachella Valley area?Are there any good websites that can help educate me on the California gun laws?
I came across this site after reading a story on a local newspapers website about a shooting in Desert Hot Springs and someone mentioned ‘Open Carry’ as an option to help protect themselves. I did not know it was legal to carry an unloaded gun in public in California and I am very interested in this idea mentioned at http://www.californiaopencarry.org/faq.html. Anyone willing to get me up to speed on the whole process and how to go about doing it the correct way?

Thanks

jay75009

imported post

Ohbjuan wrote:
Ok, just came across this website, I have a few questions that I have been unable to get an answer to anywhere else. Please be patient with me. I have lived in California most of my adult life and have to admit to ignorance of California firearm laws.

1. In California do you need any kind of a gun permit, and do weapons need to be registered? I have two revolvers and two rifles that I inherited from my dad that are not registered, and I have no permit. I do have one rifle that was purchased for me in California as a gift about 20 years ago, so I don’t know if there was any kind of registration/permit process. I have tried the internet to get answers to these questions but cannot seem to get a good answer.I live in the Coachella Valley which is near Palm Springs. The crime rate is rising here with a lot of gun crimes against innocent people. I like the idea of ‘Open Carry’ and wonder if there is a group of folks in this area who are part of the movement to carry. Anyone know?I was taught gun safety the old fashion way by my dad, but have never taken a firearm safety class. I am thinking of doing that, anyone know of a good program in the Coachella Valley area?Are there any good websites that can help educate me on the California gun laws?
I came across this site after reading a story on a local newspapers website about a shooting in Desert Hot Springs and someone mentioned ‘Open Carry’ as an option to help protect themselves. I did not know it was legal to carry an unloaded gun in public in California and I am very interested in this idea mentioned at http://www.californiaopencarry.org/faq.html. Anyone willing to get me up to speed on the whole process and how to go about doing it the correct way?

Thanks
this link should answer most of your questions regarding carry and registration of firarms :)

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_ca.htm

rmansu2

imported post

Welcome to OCDO. Sorry for the lack of effort by our members to assist you.

70 views, 1 Reply

I haven't look at the site jay posted, but you may be better off posting on the California forum(scroll down a little further on the forum page). They may already have this answered. Also try a general search in the top right of your screen.

Again welcome.

NCjones

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO. Sorry for the lack of effort by our members to assist you.

70 views, 1 Reply
Not sure there is anything to apologize for. I know nothing about California except that I never want to be there. The questions he is asking would be better answered by an attorney.

I'd be glad to offer my "opinion" but that doesn't mean he won't get locked up the first time he goes OC'ing down Ventura Blvd.

jay75009

imported post

yeah that state is horribly strict on gun laws! its sad really, but the link i posted has other links and links on links concerning CA firearms laws, and simple answers to questions. but contacting a lawyer really is the best bet.

personaly i wouldnt OC near ANY big city.............especialy LA lol