• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbe to site with a few questions

Ohbjuan

imported post

I posted this in another section and thought it was the CA section. Let me try again.

Ok, just came across this website, I have a few questions that I have been unable to get an answer to anywhere else. Please be patient with me. I have lived in California most of my adult life and have to admit to ignorance of California firearm laws.
  1. In California do you need any kind of a gun permit, and do weapons need to be registered? I have two revolvers and two rifles that I inherited from my dad that are not registered, and I have no permit. I do have one rifle that was purchased for me in California as a gift about 20 years ago, so I don’t know if there was any kind of registration/permit process. I have tried the internet to get answers to these questions but cannot seem to get a good answer.I live in the Coachella Valley which is near Palm Springs. The crime rate is rising here with a lot of gun crimes against innocent people. I like the idea of ‘Open Carry’ and wonder if there is a group of folks in this area who are part of the movement to carry. Anyone know?I was taught gun safety the old fashion way by my dad, but have never taken a firearm safety class. I am thinking of doing that, anyone know of a good program in the Coachella Valley area?Are there any good websites that can help educate me on the California gun laws?
I came across this site after reading a story on a local newspapers website about a shooting in Desert Hot Springs and someone mentioned ‘Open Carry’ as an option to help protect themselves. I did not know it was legal to carry an unloaded gun in public in California and I am very interested in this idea mentioned at http://www.californiaopencarry.org/faq.html. Anyone willing to get me up to speed on the whole process and how to go about doing it the correct way?

Thanks

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ohbjuan wrote:
  1. In California do you need any kind of a gun permit, and do weapons need to be registered? I have two revolvers and two rifles that I inherited from my dad that are not registered, and I have no permit. I do have one rifle that was purchased for me in California as a gift about 20 years ago, so I don’t know if there was any kind of registration/permit process
You do not need a permit to own/use firearms in CA. To buy a new handgun, you have to get the Handgun Safety Certificate. See http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

There is also no registration requirement. However new handguns are automatically registered when you buy them. But you do not have to register the ones you got 20 years ago. I forget when the various transfer requirements started. You can figure that out here: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members But regardless, your transfers happened before there were any such requirements.

mjones

imported post

There are no permits required to own a firearm in CA. However, as Mudcamper pointed out, it is required to have a Handgun Safety Certificate to purchase a handgun.

I would recommend that any questions you have about Open Carry you look to this forum for information.

For 'general' questions about guns in CA I would recommend youlook atwww.calguns.net

The 'biggies' to be aware of:

No Unregistered 'Assault Weapons' - are either of your rifle AR/AK type rifles? If so be sure to carefully examine the AW flowchart at CalGuns.

Large Capacity Magzines (magzines which hold more then 10 rounds) - two gotchas with these. 1) it is possible for alarge capacity magazine to turn a non-AW rifle into an illegal AW. 2) importation of large cap mags into the state of CA is prohibited unless they were possesed by you prior to the cutoff date (1/1/01 ??? or was it 00?)

With regard to Open Carry, read everything at http://www.californiaopencarry.org/and understand it forwards and backwards...return here for any questions you may have.

Welcome aboard!

Ohbjuan

imported post

Thank you to both of you who answered my questions. It has been very helpful. The links provided also helped answer my basic California firearm laws questions. I will continue to read these forums for info on open carry.

Thanks again!!

Ohbjuan

imported post

My rifles are just a shotgun and a 22, so I have no issues there.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mjones wrote:
...No Unregistered 'Assault Weapons' - are either of your rifle AR/AK type rifles? If so be sure to carefully examine the AW flowchart at CalGuns...
To be clear, the above question should be taken rhetorically. Please don't post here saying, "why, yes they are illegal unregistered assualt weapons."

If you're not sure, just look up the flowchart. I don't have the link handy, but it will come up if you Google "CA AW ID flowchart". You could also go to Calguns.net and find the flowchart there.

Another note on "large capacity magazines" - aka "normal capacity" in 47-48 other states.

Importation is not the only restriction on these mags. They also cannot be sold, offered for sale, or be given (even lent) to another person. (Lending is OK as long as you are present for the duration of the lending - e.g. you let someone shoot your rifle with your high-cap mag while you stand a few feet away.)

The above posts are correct that you don't have to register your weapons. However, some statutes carry harsher punishment if you commit a "crime" with a weapon not registered to you.

Finally... Welcome to the forum! Always good to see new interest in our fight for our freedom.

wewd

imported post

Welcome to the forums! Hope to see you at some of the open carry meets.

Ohbjuan

imported post

Ah, point taken. I posted that because I knew my rifles were legal. If I had any doubt I wouldn't make a public post like that. However I do see the need to be careful. Thanks.