• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revolvers vs. Semi Autos ?

papabear

imported post

I notice from the conversations on this board . That everyone carries exspensive firearms. And I never hear anyone talking about OCing a revolver.

Does anyone on here OC a revolver besides myself.

I carry a Taurus 357.And somtimes- not often,but somtimes.I feel like I should get me 1 of those exspensive semi autos. The Taurus that I carry is 1 of my favorite and certainly 1 of my most reliable firearms ,that I own. Being that it is about 25 years old I still love the way it shoots.

What is the best bang for your buck .

My son is a big fan of 45s,Input would be appreciated. Thanx.

Not a big fan of paying 10 bucks for a magazine about guns to read up on whats out there.

WheelGun

imported post

.38 snubby in a Blackhawk nylon holster on the right hip about 4 o'clock.

Belt is a 5.11 brand nylon military belt, reinforced for handgun carry.

Left side is a Mini-maglite in a nylon holder.

If I need anything more than the above, I'm going for the 870with #4 buck.

riverrat10k

imported post

I carry a little S&W 38 OC often enough. It is also my concealed carry gun, but sometimes I find it more convenient than the .40 pistol. I haven't worked out a good system for concealing the .40 yet, so .38 is in my pocket and I always have a holster in the car if I want to OC it.

67390FE

imported post

I carry an SP101 in .357 mag. I am also a fan of a .45 and carry a 1911. There are times when I carry both. I believe in equal opportunity :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My wife carries a wheelgun (.38) in her truck... but OC's my Mak. The problem she has is with the slide... and even flippin' the safety. On the down side... wheel guns have limited capacity and take time to reload compared to semi-auto's. Most wheel guns will fire faster that semi-auto's. But... with the little J-frame's... ya got 5 shots 'n done. DA wheelguns have no safety's to mess with... 'Just point 'n click.

There's still folks here who'll carry an SAA... which is an antique if facing a semi-auto. You better be really good with the first shot. Personally, I would not carry a wheelgun for self defense 'cept maybe a large bore for huntin' or defense against bears. (Like a .454 or .50)

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Papabear, if you are most comfortable with and most confident in your Taurus 357 then that's the firearm you should carry.

By all means, shoot some semi-autos to find one you might like.

If you go to the range day MSC.45ACP (sorry if I butchered that) is holding next weekend you may be able to shoot semi-autos of many makes, models and calibers.

Cheers! :cool:

jeeper1

imported post

I notice from the conversations on this board . That everyone carries expensive firearms.

Not everyone carries an expensive handgun. I do now but started out with less expensive handguns.
I started out carrying a $140 Taurus 85 concealed or semi open, same IWB holster just not concealed.
I then acquired a $260 Kel Tec P3AT for a backup but soon stopped carrying it because of lack of penetration. I wanted to stop a problem not just piss off the bad guy.
I then acquired a Kel Tec P11 9mm. Again not an expensive weapon that I carried either concealed or semi concealed. It is a perfectly fine weapon just not powerful enough for me. They don't make the P40 any more and the conversion kits cost more than the P11 making it an expensive weapon. I also couldn't find a Owb holster I liked.
At that point I started doing research on holsters to find what I liked and what hand guns they fit. After narrowing it down to several pistols I then started checking out which hand gun fit me the best and pointed naturally for me.
I settled on the Springfield XD40 ($532 OTD) and the Blackhawk Serpa.
After carrying that way for awhile I got another Serpa holster for my Beretta 92 and a Serpa holster for a S&W "J" frame revolver thinking it would work for my Taurus 85 (that I still wanted to OC), unfortunately the underlug is bigger on the Taurus than the S&W so does not fit in the holster. Now I am looking for a S&W to fit the holster. I am also looking for a .357 revolver.

nova

imported post

I still carry a S&W .38 or Ruger 357 sometimes.

Dreamer

imported post

There seems to be a sudden interest in revolvers right now, for some reason. I have been looking for a hammerless .357 snubbie lately (specifically a Taurus model 650 in stainless), and today when I was out running errands, I stopped in a local gun shop to see if they had any in stock. The owner said he didn't have have any hammerless revolvers, but he was going to be getting some in in a week or two. He said he never had much call for them, but in the last 2 weeks, he's had about a dozen people ask about them...

We talked about it for a while, and neither of us could figure out why the sudden interest in ANY revolver, let alone the hammerless variety. I want one because a hammerless model is a LOT easier to draw from CC. We both agreed that must be it--there are a lot of new CHP holders in NC right now, and perhaps they are going for the snag-free wheel guns as entry-level handguns.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm curious now, why the sudden interest in hammerless wheelguns? Was there a magazine article I missed somewhere?

smash29

imported post

Ha, I'm one of the "suddenly interested" Dreamer mentions!

I happened by a gun shop while out running errands last Tuesday and they had a Ruger LCP as well as a P3AT in the cabinet. Always looking to rationalize a new gun I figured a small .380 would be useful in a jersey pocket while out riding my bike but the shortage/scarcity of .380 ammo gave me pause. Enter the guy working at my range, the one who had had some really bad luck with a Kahr CW9 and as a result went back to carrying a S&W Airweight. After discussing the matter for a bit he suggested I check out a .38 snubbie instead of the .380 and offered the Ruger LCR they just put out for range use. Long story short, I shot it pretty well, better than I remember shooting a snubbie, and I'm now on the path to revolver ownership...

Zero to revolver obsession in less than a week...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dammit. Now y'all got me thinking again about getting a Ruger GP100 or a 3" SP101. Or, maybe an old Smith 4".

I had just about gotten over my cravings.'Til this thread came along.

:):p

.45acp

imported post

Hola Papabear,

Yea, I sometimes OC and CC a wheelgun, an N frame S&W when not packing an expensive 1911. Not all 1911's cost a bunch, but 1911 fans tend to get a little nutty when it comes to price....ask my wife, I’ve had to explain a couple of them.

Wheel guns...nothin wrong with them...5 or 6 rounds are more than enough for 99% of the gunfights we as civilians will find ourselves in. I personally have never felt under gunned or a lack of ammo with a wheel gun. If you are concerned with living with 5 or 6 rounds, have the cylinder chamfered for easier speed loading, get 3 or 4 speedloaders and practice loading. Jerry Miculek as an example is amazing and blazing fast firing 12 rounds with a revolver under 3 seconds.

That said, if you want to spend some bucks on a 1911 look up Kimber on the low end of expensive and move upscale to Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk and Ed Brown. These guys can help you lighten your bank account by several thousands bucks.

Steve

curtiswr

imported post

I traded my S&W 642 Airweight for a Ruger SP-101, 3" barrel since 1) I like Ruger's a lot more than S&W and 2) I always regretted selling my 4" GP-100.

I've got another Ruger that I'll be getting this week (7.5" Redhawk) effectively putting my revolver count over my semi-auto count.

The SP-101 is a good size for OC and CC, even the 3 inch barrel configuration without the bobbed hammer (although I have thought about shaving it down). I just need to get me a holster to OC it in. But man I love it. The guy I traded it with put some Pachmayer Compac grips on it and man this thing is sweeeeeet.

I can't wait to get a holster for it. Planning a move here at the end of the month so money has to be budgeted tightly for a while.... maybe a Christmas present.

:celebrate

IMG_1732.jpg

Alexcabbie

imported post

Revolvers are great. No safeties or levers or anything. Jamming is not one of their problems, at least not nearly as much as with semiautos (and we've had the argument, so save it). Sure, they only hold 5-8 shots depending on the model. But with a little practice speedloaders can compensate for that.

Also, revolvers fire from a locked breech and the barrel moves not at all (except for recoil). This makes for better accuracy, and when you find yourself in a c%$p-your pants scary situation IMO you need all of that you can get to compensate for the effects of fear (which only a fool would not feel and in fact is an element of a righteous shooting) and adrenaline.

As to semiautomatics, well, all my other weapons are being held at the moment as security for a loan. Including my two wheelguns. The weapon I retain is my Walther P.38; which with its open top ejection port is as jam-proof as a semiauto gets. Eight in the magazine plus one up the spout means nine shots of nine mm in a weapon designed as a battle implement, with another eight in the next magazine. That ougtta see me through.

papabear

imported post

I definately am more accurate with my revolver than with my semiautos.But then again my autos are cheaper brand of firearms.I have shot the more exspensive brands. And they feel great in my hand and the way they shoot. But the cost is what floors me.I will look into some of the ones that yall have suggested.Thanx for the feedback.

I have a friend that has high end firearms, and hell hes paid as mush for a gun as ive paid for cars.When I see a nice firearm I look at it then I say dam I could put new tires on my truck and pay that bill that i need to pay.

Who has the best layawy plans and who is the easiest dealer to deal with.Some of these guys at some of these stores, sound like they dont know krap about the gun they are trying to sell me.

Thanx again.