Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Gov. Schwarzenegger signs AB 962

  1. #1
    Regular Member wewd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    664

    Post imported post

    To the Members of the California State Assembly: I am signing Assembly Bill 962.

    This measure would require vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

    Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder.

    Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

    Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine. Unfortunately, even the most successful local program is flawed; without a statewide law, felons can easily skirt the record keeping requirements of one city by visiting another. Assembly Bill 962 will fix this problem by mandating that all ammunition vendors in the state keep records on ammunition sales.

    As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors.

    Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill.
    Nothing to be said, except that I can say without a doubt that AB 962 will have no effect on me, since I will not be living in this state when the law goes into effect. Have fun, guys.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

    Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

    "Live Free or Die"

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    Kommiefornia does it again.....

    I feel sorry for those of you who have to live there, and I am glad that I live in a free state.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    Like microstamping, this law won't hold up in court.

    The worst part is that we'll have to spend money getting it overturned. That is money that otherwise would be used in the roster or ccw or other fights.

    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...p;postcount=35


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    dirtykoala wrote:
    Will 2a incorperation have any effect on this law?
    The law will likely be stricken for federal common carrier preemption before we even have 2A incorporation.


  7. #7
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    I encourage all members in the CA forum to get involved with and donate to the CalGuns Foundation to strike this down. It is their legal team that is working to get us 2A incorporation, Shall-Issue CCW and their premeditated retaliation on AB962. Sadly, CGF/CGN is the only organization that is devoting resources (legally and financially) to restore rights in the CA courts systems.

    Now... As for AB962. Until it's stricken or suspended, I'm going to invest in reloading. Anyone want to join me?
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    I encourage all members in the CA forum to get involved with and donate to the CalGuns Foundation to strike this down. It is their legal team that is working to get us 2A incorporation, Shall-Issue CCW and their premeditated retaliation on AB962. Sadly, CGF/CGN is the only organization that is devoting resources (legally and financially) to restore rights in the CA courts systems.

    Now... As for AB962. Until it's stricken or suspended, I'm going to invest in reloading. Anyone want to join me?
    I'll be investing in Nevada and Arizonas economys F*#@ the CA Government
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    wewd wrote:
    To the Members of the California State Assembly: I am signing Assembly Bill 962.

    This measure would require vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

    Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder.

    Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

    Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine. Unfortunately, even the most successful local program is flawed; without a statewide law, felons can easily skirt the record keeping requirements of one city by visiting another. Assembly Bill 962 will fix this problem by mandating that all ammunition vendors in the state keep records on ammunition sales.

    As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors.

    Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill.
    Nothing to be said, except that I can say without a doubt that AB 962 will have no effect on me, since I will not be living in this state when the law goes into effect. Have fun, guys.
    LUCKYYYYYYYY
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    ...Sadly, CGF/CGN is the only organization that is devoting resources (legally and financially) to restore rights in the CA courts systems...
    The Madison Society has been at it and continues fighting the good fight here in CA.

    FYI, they were the ones that brought us the Nordyke case (which I understand is now being rolled into the Chicago SCOTUS case somehow - I don't understand legaleze...). They alone backed the Nordykes for YEARS before the NRA decided the case was going anywhere and jumped on board.

    Madison Society is also very OC-friendly (though they have all their financial resources tied up in Nordyke, so they aren't able to back any OC cases at this time).

    If you want to help out this VERY worthy organization, please come out to the annual dinner this month in Modesto. (Details on their website.) They have raffles for guns, ammo, and all sorts of cool stuff, so bring a little cash for that.

    CalGuns is doing good work too, and I encourage supporting them as well... but if I had only one dollar to donate, Madison Society would get it first.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Thanks for reminding me about the dinner. I wouldn't have remembered otherwise.

    Which, by the way all, was an enjoyable event for me last year. Attendance is recommended, OC is better!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    The bill will take effect on February 1, 2011. By that time I couldhave 50,000 rounds on hand.





  13. #13
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian thanks for pointing them out! I'm such a tard I totally forgot about them. IMHO we need as many pro-rights organizations assaulting the bad legislature here... It could be more than a full-time job for most of them...
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  14. #14
    Regular Member wewd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    664

    Post imported post

    By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

    Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

    "Live Free or Die"

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    wewd wrote:
    By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.
    I hear you. This is the state of my birth, but I feel that one day I will simply have had enough.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    wewd wrote:
    By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.
    Im working on convincing the wife and then hopefully on day I can be free as well.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  17. #17
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    wewd wrote:
    By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.
    Very well said wewd. Just highlighted some of my favorite parts. In the workplace one rule prevails, it goes like this...

    When the pain outweighs the profit, its time to move on.

    In life, liberty and the pursuit a similar rule SHOULD prevail, somethinglike this...

    When tyranny outweighs liberty, its time to move on.

    Our system of government and states rights was set up this way so people COULD move and live with like minded people. Its a personal decision and anyone who thinks lesser of those making this decision is being completely selfish (as well asa higher tolerance for tyranny). Hate to see you go, but go in peace. And clear me a lane on the way out, I may not be too far behind.


    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    I forsee a sudden plethora of "Ammo Shack"s springing into existance about 10 feet east or north of California's borders with its neighbor states.



    And possibly a new product to smuggle in from Mexico...

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    PavePusher wrote:
    I forsee a sudden plethora of "Ammo Shack"s springing into existance about 10 feet east or north of California's borders with its neighbor states.



    And possibly a new product to smuggle in from Mexico...
    PavePushers gunna be a rich man and I'm gunna be his number one customer.:celebrate
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    wewd wrote:
    By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.
    My family moved here from Louisiana when I was just 9. That was 1967, and now, 47 years later I am forced to relocate to what remains of the "Land of the FREE".
    Kentucky looks good to me right now, or Tennessee. But anyplace where this old "Jar-Head" can still open carry and let my "freak flag fly" (the Stars & Bars)will do.
    As a Vet and tax-paying Citizen I can no longer support a State that refuses to respect and honor my rights. Gov. Schwartzenegger has only vindicated those who questioned the wisdom in electing a foreign-born individual as Governor of this once great State.
    I doubt very much that this State can be restored to it's Constitutional greatness short of a full-blown Citizen revolt. I am disabled now, and will leave such battles for others. Adios Kalifornia.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    58Classic wrote:
    I doubt very much that this State can be restored to it's Constitutional greatness short of a full-blown Citizen revolt. I am disabled now, and will leave such battles for others. Adios Kalifornia.
    You are incorrect. Post-2A-Incorporation we will win the fight.


  22. #22
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    MudCamper wrote:
    58Classic wrote:
    I doubt very much that this State can be restored to it's Constitutional greatness short of a full-blown Citizen revolt. I am disabled now, and will leave such battles for others. Adios Kalifornia.
    You are incorrect. Post-2A-Incorporation we will win the fight.
    AB962, even if contested and won in court, will still leave the fingerprintinginfringement in effect. CGF's fight against this bill is limited to the internet sales ban, not the larger privacy issue. And even if 2A is incorporated to the states this won't automatically remove fingerprinting legislation. In Feb 2011, you will be fingerprinted when you buy ammo - that's not going away. This isa personal assault on our liberties, it may also very well be a state's rights issue and may pass constitutional muster. Wewd is right, this state lacks a culture of liberty.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    I just read this:

    President Barack Obama called on Congress Wednesday to approve $250 payments to more than 50 million seniors to make up for no increase in Social Security next year.

    There's $250 I can spend on ammo...like I did with the stimulus check.

  24. #24
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    With the way the dollar has been devalued, guns and ammo are a good investment!
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    L.A. County, California, USA
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    yelohamr wrote:
    I just read this:

    President Barack Obama called on Congress Wednesday to approve $250 payments to more than 50 million seniors to make up for no increase in Social Security next year.

    There's $250 I can spend on ammo...like I did with the stimulus check.
    Don't spend it yet (well, always spend on ammo anyway) since Obama is notorious for "calling" for one thing and doing another. Can anyone say "Transparency"...?

    By the way, what is his definition of a "Senior"? (Hey! IHOP lets me order off the Senior menu, does that qualify - quick call Acorn for some advice!)

    In the meantime, AB 962 may cause me to become a "hoarder". (Sigh.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •