• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Schwarzenegger signs AB 962

wewd

imported post

To the Members of the California State Assembly: I am signing Assembly Bill 962.

This measure would require vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder.

Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine. Unfortunately, even the most successful local program is flawed; without a statewide law, felons can easily skirt the record keeping requirements of one city by visiting another. Assembly Bill 962 will fix this problem by mandating that all ammunition vendors in the state keep records on ammunition sales.

As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors.

Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill.

Nothing to be said, except that I can say without a doubt that AB 962 will have no effect on me, since I will not be living in this state when the law goes into effect. Have fun, guys.

suntzu

imported post

Kommiefornia does it again.....

I feel sorry for those of you who have to live there, and I am glad that I live in a free state.

demnogis

imported post

I encourage all members in the CA forum to get involved with and donate to the CalGuns Foundation to strike this down. It is their legal team that is working to get us 2A incorporation, Shall-Issue CCW and their premeditated retaliation on AB962. Sadly, CGF/CGN is the only organization that is devoting resources (legally and financially) to restore rights in the CA courts systems.

Now... As for AB962. Until it's stricken or suspended, I'm going to invest in reloading. Anyone want to join me?

chewy352

imported post

demnogis wrote:
I encourage all members in the CA forum to get involved with and donate to the CalGuns Foundation to strike this down. It is their legal team that is working to get us 2A incorporation, Shall-Issue CCW and their premeditated retaliation on AB962. Sadly, CGF/CGN is the only organization that is devoting resources (legally and financially) to restore rights in the CA courts systems.

Now... As for AB962. Until it's stricken or suspended, I'm going to invest in reloading. Anyone want to join me?
I'll be investing in Nevada and Arizonas economys F*#@ the CA Government

chewy352

imported post

wewd wrote:
To the Members of the California State Assembly: I am signing Assembly Bill 962.

This measure would require vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder.

Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine. Unfortunately, even the most successful local program is flawed; without a statewide law, felons can easily skirt the record keeping requirements of one city by visiting another. Assembly Bill 962 will fix this problem by mandating that all ammunition vendors in the state keep records on ammunition sales.

As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors.

Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill.

Nothing to be said, except that I can say without a doubt that AB 962 will have no effect on me, since I will not be living in this state when the law goes into effect. Have fun, guys.
LUCKYYYYYYYY

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

demnogis wrote:
...Sadly, CGF/CGN is the only organization that is devoting resources (legally and financially) to restore rights in the CA courts systems...
The Madison Society has been at it and continues fighting the good fight here in CA.

FYI, they were the ones that brought us the Nordyke case (which I understand is now being rolled into the Chicago SCOTUS case somehow - I don't understand legaleze...). They alone backed the Nordykes for YEARS before the NRA decided the case was going anywhere and jumped on board.

Madison Society is also very OC-friendly (though they have all their financial resources tied up in Nordyke, so they aren't able to back any OC cases at this time).

If you want to help out this VERY worthy organization, please come out to the annual dinner this month in Modesto. (Details on their website.) They have raffles for guns, ammo, and all sorts of cool stuff, so bring a little cash for that.

CalGuns is doing good work too, and I encourage supporting them as well... but if I had only one dollar to donate, Madison Society would get it first.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for reminding me about the dinner. I wouldn't have remembered otherwise.

Which, by the way all, was an enjoyable event for me last year. Attendance is recommended, OC is better!

demnogis

imported post

CA_Libertarian thanks for pointing them out! I'm such a tard I totally forgot about them. IMHO we need as many pro-rights organizations assaulting the bad legislature here... It could be more than a full-time job for most of them...

wewd

imported post

By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wewd wrote:
By the way... I'm not leaving CA because of this law or any other specific gun law. It goes beyond gun laws, and is really a long time coming. This state is simply not the state that I was born in. There is not a culture of liberty in California any longer, and I don't believe that it is possible to create one. I want and demand more liberty and freedom, and that is not to be found here. I want personal liberty and economic liberty. We can fight this law and that law and win lots of battles but we can't win the war. I want to keep more of my paycheck. I want to be able to dig a hole or put a toolshed in my backyard without having to ask permission or pay a tax. I want to be able to drive my car without having to wear a seatbelt, even though I probably never would, but it's not the state's business to make that decision for me. I just don't have any desire to be here any longer, so I'm going to exercise my right to move to another state that is more compatible with the way I want to live my life.
I hear you. This is the state of my birth, but I feel that one day I will simply have had enough.

chewy352

imported post

wewd wrote:
Im working on convincing the wife and then hopefully on day I can be free as well.

coolusername2007

imported post

wewd wrote:

Very well said wewd. Just highlighted some of my favorite parts. In the workplace one rule prevails, it goes like this...

When the pain outweighs the profit, its time to move on.

In life, liberty and the pursuit a similar rule SHOULD prevail, somethinglike this...

When tyranny outweighs liberty, its time to move on.

Our system of government and states rights was set up this way so people COULD move and live with like minded people. Its a personal decision and anyone who thinks lesser of those making this decision is being completely selfish (as well asa higher tolerance for tyranny). Hate to see you go, but go in peace. And clear me a lane on the way out, I may not be too far behind.

PavePusher

imported post

I forsee a sudden plethora of "Ammo Shack"s springing into existance about 10 feet east or north of California's borders with its neighbor states.

And possibly a new product to smuggle in from Mexico...

chewy352

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I forsee a sudden plethora of "Ammo Shack"s springing into existance about 10 feet east or north of California's borders with its neighbor states.

And possibly a new product to smuggle in from Mexico...
PavePushers gunna be a rich man and I'm gunna be his number one customer.:celebrate

58Classic

imported post

wewd wrote:

My family moved here from Louisiana when I was just 9. That was 1967, and now, 47 years later I am forced to relocate to what remains of the "Land of the FREE".
Kentucky looks good to me right now, or Tennessee. But anyplace where this old "Jar-Head" can still open carry and let my "freak flag fly" (the Stars & Bars)will do.
As a Vet and tax-paying Citizen I can no longer support a State that refuses to respect and honor my rights. Gov. Schwartzenegger has only vindicated those who questioned the wisdom in electing a foreign-born individual as Governor of this once great State.
I doubt very much that this State can be restored to it's Constitutional greatness short of a full-blown Citizen revolt. I am disabled now, and will leave such battles for others. Adios Kalifornia.:cry: