• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Organizational Efforts

ecocks

imported post

Our organizational kick-off meeting was held last Thursday evening (10-08-2009) at Shari's in Meridian.

The meeting began at 7:05the following topics being addressed/presented:

John Carter and Roger Jorstad discussed a short history of getting to this point. Approximately two years ago it was envisioned that an open carry advocacy group should be formed to better represent the rights of gun carriers and provide a framework for the open carry community. Since that time, the idea expanded to include carry and ownership rights of all types - concealed, open, hunting, defense, safety, etc.

Ed Cocks provided a bit of perspective and laid the case for modeling on similar, successful groups around the US. Particularly of interest was the history and success of the Virginia Citizens' Defense League. Growing from their initial starting point asa Northern Virginia club, they have now reached membership numbering into the thousands and have an established entity to provide legislative advocacy, membership growth and revenue through sales of various products.

Ed also delivered a report on the upcoming gun show at the Boise Expo Fairgrounds. We will have a table and will need at least two persons scheduled for manning the table to explain the organization, hand out literature and accept applications. Ed will be coordinating the table effort and is seeking individuals for the staffing schedule and assiting with setup.

A general discussion followed covering several areas such as the need for an organization, building credibility, possible activities and establishing relationships with prospective members.

Informaldiscussion ensued with varied questions, even more varied answers, anecdotes and thoughts.

Attendance was 18 persons.Atotal of 13 individuals signed up for membership. Receipts will be prepar4ed and distributed at the next meeting.

John Dolan took responsibility for trying to locate a different venue which offers a meeting room for privacy and noise control as well as continuing the central valley location concept for convenience of our members.

A tentative slate of officers was prepared as follows:

President -John Carter

Vice-President - Ed Cocks

Treasurer -Elizabeth Carter

Secretary - Mike Ludlow

Meeting broke up at about 9:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted.

Ed Cocks

ecocks

imported post

Update:

The Virginia Citizens' Defense League has indicated they have no problem with our use of their name or other concepts. Of course, it is expressly understood that these are two separate organizations and in no way does either speak or represent the other.

The founding group met on Monday, October 12th, to begin review of the by-laws for editing and presentation to the group at the next planned meeting, November 5th.

Ed Cocks

ecocks

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
Update the meeting will be the 12th, the second Thursday of each month.

Oooops! My bad, thought it was FIRST Thursday of the month.

BAD ED! BAD! :?

ecocks

imported post

Hey everyone, search on Facebook for Idaho Citizens Defense League!

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=srp&sfxp=&q=Mike+Ludlow&o=2048&ne=Western+Idaho&=Western+Idaho&ed=&=School&wk=&=Workplace#/group.php?gid=149820363334&ref=nf

IDCDLShirts are ordered and due in about 3 weeks from now. If anyone wants any, please let me know so we can increase the order as soon as possible. The shirt is a short-sleeve polo and is the same one issued for BLM and Forestry Service employees, cost at show is $25 but advance orders will be at $20 as long as you promise to wear it to the show!

What show? The BOISE GUN SHOW! It's being held on November 14th and 15th at the Western Idaho Fairgrounds where we will have a recruiting table setup and shamelessly hawking our own GUNS SAVE LIVES decals, shirts and patches.

Come one, come all!

ecocks

imported post

OK, here we go with the information for the next meeting!

November 12th, 2009 - 7:00 PM

Sunrise Cafe

805 North Main Street

Meridian, ID 83642

RSVPappreciated but not necessary.

Ordering food and beverage is optional but also appreciated.

John Wolver

imported post

ISRAEL wrote:
HI, I AM DAVID, AND WANT TO BECOME A MEMBER, WILL YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE PLACE ARE YOU GOING TO MEET NEXT MONTH? CAN I BRING MY WIFE?

MY E- MAIL IS
ecocks wrote:
OK, here we go with the information for the next meeting!

November 12th, 2009 - 7:00 PM

Sunrise Cafe

805 North Main Street

Meridian, ID 83642

RSVPappreciated but not necessary.

Ordering food and beverage is optional but also appreciated.
here ya go, all the info. Family is always welcome.

Gizmoe142

imported post

I would love to make it over that way for the meeting and the gun show but I am not sure as i will be able to.
I am curious if any of you know of any similar groups or clubs in the Idaho Falls/ Pocatello/ Rexburg area? A little closer to home to home for me.
If not anyone interested in meeting and seein about setting something up?
Let me know kevincmc142@gmail.com

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

Gizmoe, I think I saw a thread in here for that area. Post a thread of your own and you should get some bites, if you haven't already. Good luck. If you can make it down this way great. Keep in touch with us down in Boise, we may be on a roll here. There can be a combined effort in the near future.