• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody want to do an OC get together?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ok, so I don't want this thread to die... I really want to get this together. Lets come up with a date? Hopefully sometime after the spring semester so that I can participate? :) (I'll need to run up to Northern Maine and grab my HKusp Compact in .357 sig and go back down to the OC event, but it'll be worth it! I'll bring my father as well!) So... any suggestions on dates? Lets get some jobs set up as well, such as who's responsibility it is to get costs on t-shirts, who's going to contact news organizations, how about who's going to contact the local leo's? LETS GET THIS BALL ROLLING!

mobius

imported post

Well, I probably won't travel down there to an event, but I wouldn't mind helping to organize one up here.

I was thinking about t-shirts myself. My wife has an embroidery business so she can get clothes at cost. Quantity is crucial though else the shipping negates the savings. Is there a logo or design already adopted? or a slogan?

She might be willing to pull together an embroidered version.

Fred
Blanchard

jay75009

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
ok, so I don't want this thread to die... I really want to get this together. Lets come up with a date? Hopefully sometime after the spring semester so that I can participate? :) (I'll need to run up to Northern Maine and grab my HKusp Compact in .357 sig and go back down to the OC event, but it'll be worth it! I'll bring my father as well!) So... any suggestions on dates? Lets get some jobs set up as well, such as who's responsibility it is to get costs on t-shirts, who's going to contact news organizations, how about who's going to contact the local leo's? LETS GET THIS BALL ROLLING!
well. im in pretty tight with saco PD.......we have some rec area's here. sure i could get them onboard. that way they wouldnt give us any issues. and would keep any liberal gun haters away ;-) but thats only if we do it here in saco haha

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hmm, saco huh? back bay cove sounded awful good... a lot of people, we could set up a nice staging area with booths and information... thoughts? opinions? we need to cover all our bases and have plenty of time to do it! Lets not let the anti's pick anything apart.

jay75009

imported post

well we can count out talking to the LEO's if were doin back bay haha best thing is to NOT let them know were gonna do it. if they have a hint. they will have riot cops and swat there before we get there lol

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

it'd be great if we could get the NRA in on this perhaps... or some big name 2nd amendment rights group. (funding, big name for support). it'd also be great if we could get some kids... kids seem to de-demonize everything - if thats even a word, but you know what i mean... haha... hell, i'm a kid but i don't think i'm quite young enough! :) And LOTS of cameras, lots of media, lots of attention. that will keep the police away if only to save face. if the news organizations are there and we call them ahead of time they will realize that obviously what we're doing is completely legal.

jay75009

imported post

definately. only question is how do you go about getting the NRA to show up at ur party.............kinda like gettin the really hot chick in HS to show up........hmmmmm ill e-mail em.....see what they say

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

keep us updated on what they say! can anybody else think of any other big name 2a organizations? I know obviously oc.com... hmm, maybe we should get a higher-up to help with planning of this? See if the board will back us?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Not to be rude or anything, but that is exactly the reason why we haven't done anything yet. We want to make sure that everything has been taken into consideration. We even have one person getting in contact with the NRA... If you would like to help, please do. I think that perhaps we should post a link to this in the NH and VT sections? I'm sure some people from there would come up and join us? The only thing I'm unsure of is if this is forum legal.

jay75009

imported post

definately another good idea. but i do not think that doorbell knows portland PD's reputation with OC.

to clearify for him...............if you OC in portland maine. 99.9% of the time you go to jail, get assaulted, or have your weapon illegaly confiscated. hence why we are tyring to keep this out of the sniffer of the PD untill its litteraly infront of it.

I for one am affraid that if they knew we were going to do it, they would start arresting innocent people before we even started.

however we are going to have Newscrews and other media there to safeguard us from the police department so that we can get the word about OC out safely and effectively :)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

i don't want to get banned from the board... anybody know if I can just post a link to this thread in the other forum sections???? I can't find n e thing about doing that anywhere on this site.

doorbell

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
definately another good idea. but i do not think that doorbell knows portland PD's reputation with OC.

to clearify for him...............if you OC in portland maine. 99.9% of the time you go to jail, get assaulted, or have your weapon illegaly confiscated. hence why we are tyring to keep this out of the sniffer of the PD untill its litteraly infront of it.

I for one am affraid that if they knew we were going to do it, they would start arresting innocent people before we even started.

however we are going to have Newscrews and other media there to safeguard us from the police department so that we can get the word about OC out safely and effectively :)
Thats why you should contact the PD ahead of time. Unless you guys want to get harassed. I live in Portland and my cwp was issued by the Portland PD. The force has good people on it. If they know what you are up to, and people call you in, they will react more appropriately than if they randomly receive a call that there are a bunch of armed people on the streets.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
i don't want to get banned from the board... anybody know if I can just post a link to this thread in the other forum sections???? I can't find n e thing about doing that anywhere on this site.
Yes you can post to any forum section - it should be made relevant to that section though. If specific enough, the mods might move the original to the new section.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:

1) This is a public forum - LE, politicians and the media can and do read it - no secret is safe here, even if you delete it.

2) Claim on Portland PD - would suggest violation of 1A, 2A, 4A as well as other federal illegalities + state violations - outlandish. Violations as you suggest would have been all over everybody's radar. 99.9% of the time - really. You make it sound worse than California or NYC.

3) Suggest that you have your attorney handle the notification to Portland if you are so "afraid" of being arrested before you even get started. The same attorney I presume that researches ATF drinking rules for you and perhaps advised you on your federal court case. BTW - still waiting on reply to these.

4) In planning your first large OC event, it might be prudent to select a very friendly location, notify/talk with local LE and proceed to gain legitimate experience in what it takes to successfully accomplish this. We do not always talk to LE first - but that is your option if it makes you feel better.

5) Good luck with the NRA - they generally have no interest or reason too have. Have never found them to be pro OC.

Good luck with the media also unless your cousin, aunt or other close and personal friend is the general manager. Night Line did a major piece on VCDL and OC a couple of years back, but that was on their initiative. A poorly planned/controlled event or a major negative presentation could well get you undesirable media attention.

We do send out press notices, but seldom get takers on events. We do our own video recording and editing.

Have fun - let us know how it goes.

Yata hey

crookarrow

imported post

come on guys, we have to make up the date. once we have the date , we can go on making the preparation and plans toward the date. all the talking is hot air with no date.. know what i mean ? let's make a date. date, date, date. then we will have to decide exact location. remember, its winter and cold now. it's not easy to OC with all the winter garbs on us. so pick a date like on spring. then we can do the spring clean up (picking trash). okay ? :D

Deuce1911

imported post

How about sometime around Memorial day? the weather will be good enough by then.

Grapeshot you have to understand maine, guy! almost all other towns outside of portland have a totally different outlook on OC! for those of us that live in these areas to go into portland and be treated the way they do OCers is mind boggling to us. So you can see how we would sometimes "exaggerate" our descriptions, not the actuall incidents, of the town. especially in non-formal conversation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Deuce1911 wrote:
How about sometime around Memorial day? the weather will be good enough by then.

Grapeshot you have to understand maine, guy! almost all other towns outside of portland have a totally different outlook on OC! for those of us that live in these areas to go into portland and be treated the way they do OCers is mind boggling to us. So you can see how we would sometimes "exaggerate" our descriptions, not the actuall incidents, of the town. especially in non-formal conversation.
I'm not from Maine obviously and do defer to those with their feet on the ground there.

I understand the use of hyperbole, but too frequent casual or extreme use (commonplace/habitual) is not good - its not factual and misleading. There are ways to be truthful and objective even when just giving opinions.

Actual (alleged) incidents have been reported by some that were frankly very suspect and request for cite/response is ignored. I find this unfortunate and diminishes the value of the forum section. Maine has a proud heritage - it deserve better.

As to the plans/idea proposed - think it is great and wish you all much success - hope you have fun doing it and that you will do more.

Yata hey