• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

mouse guns

Alexcabbie

imported post

A .22 can be a dandy disabler. A hit in the knee or the pit of the shoulder or the clavicle will very likely disable an attacker at least enough to allow you to flee. Hits in the mouth will likely strike nerves in the dental pulp and if you have ever seen "Marathon Man"....

Hits above the eyes can blind with blood flow. Hits TO the eyes can blind with - well, permanent blindness (which would likely mae your assailant likely to wish you had killed him (and also to sue you).

Personally I have never had to bust a cap on anyone in anger except for a couple of "warning" shots and yeah, yeah I know. But as far as actually firing with full intent of application of lethal force, no. Additionally I have had a couple situations where mere display of the weapon ended the threat. But if all I had to carry was a .22, I would practice by setting up a paper plaate at 7 yards and concentrate on emptying the weapon as fast as possible and getting enough accuracy so that as many shots as possible landed within two inches of the center.

Since a .22 doesn't kick very much, emphasis should be put on trigger squeeze discipline so as not to jerk rounds wild.

In a tactical situation with a .22; the central point of aim should be at the tip of the nose. With practice this should mean that your shots will cause blindness and/or blinding, incapacitating pain. Or at least so it may be hoped.

IMO a .22 or a .25 is better thn nothing, but at a max they cannot be counted upon for anything other than, used right,MAYBE givingyou the chance to get the hell out of Dodge. And really I don't care if you are carrying a .22 or a .500 S&W Magnum, the best course of action is to avoid trouble if it is reasonably possible to do so. No matter the caliber or circumstance, there WILL be consequenses attendant to loosing hot lead against another human being. Those consequenses can be heavy, and only peril to innocent life can outweigh them.

Just my opinion, guys. Feel free to trash it. :cool:

sawhitt

imported post

Have you looked into Kel Tec. If you want a bunch of punch in a small package, Google them.

Lifetime warranty, too.

Lose the idea that anything starting it's caliber with a "2" is useful for self defense.
I personally prefer calibers that start with a "4" - .45 ACP to be exact. It's fat, slow, devastating, and reliable as can be. Fat and slow are a huge plus in urban settings or in an occupied building. They don't go through a ton of wallboard, but will give you a solid 12" of human body penetration.

Forget shooting to wound. That's Hollywood stuff. Shoot to kill or not at all.

Remember that the consequences of not shooting (or shooting only to wound) can be far worse for you than facing the possibility of a trial for actually shooting someone intent upon doing you or someone else harm or intent upon killing you or someone else.

I learned my stuff at a little ranch near Paulden, AZ in the '70's from the best handgun pro of all. Thanks, Coop.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Alexcabbie,

No trashing, just a comment...

That's another bane (and another topic) of the armed citizen: The Law. It seems to protect the criminal rather then the decent citizen. It SHOULD be Open Season on ANY criminal trying to do ANYthing to you...but it isn't. As America "fights" in foreign "wars" in a "humane" (PC) fashion -- which hampers our military big-time and makes us look like global jokes/Paper Tigers -- so too here at home decent citizens are put through the wringer, even after a good shoot. That's shameful. [And one reason I say liberals run this country...conservatives would "simplify" these things...I knowI would.]

Still, I wouldn't let the legal aftermath interfere with dealing with criminals in an immediate and permanent manner. After all, THEY don't care, and thoughts of "what happens afterwards" is of no concern to them as they fear not the American "justice" system. Better be on the same page in that event or you'll be at a disadvantage right from the start.

alwynsw,

Ooops...you're not using the appropriate liberal PC term there: It's "shoot to stop," not "shoot to kill." Now please apologize to the Brady Bunch for your bloodthirsty comments. :D

ButI get your meaning andI agree.

-- John D.

sawhitt

imported post

smash29 wrote:
alwynsw wrote:
Shoot to kill or not at all.
They teach that at Gunsite?

heh heh heh

It was a week in a tent back then. Your own tent.
sterb028.gif

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

gutshot,

Someone told me once, "AMT makes good guns, they just don't finish them."

IME, I found that to be very true.

My AMT Hardballer (.45ACP) -- after some polishinghere and there-- was a GREAT gun...afterI 'finished' it.

-- John D.

ODA 226

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
ODA 226,

I looked up the Beretta 950 (at GunsAmerica.com to see what used ones were available over there) and see that it comes in 25ACP also...but as for .22, isthe 950only to be had in .22 short -- not .22LR?

As for the 21A, I also prefer SA -- do not care for DAO autos at all -- but with the 21A I have a choice of DA or SA. And with the first shot being DA (if you do not choose to cock it first) it acts like a "revolver safety" with the long DA trigger pull...for a quick "just pull it out of your pocket and shoot" for immediate close-up use (these are in the "Pocket Pistols" category but of course, do NOT need to be pocket-carried). AndI like the tip-up barrel of the 21A (and Beretta's 3032 (inox) Tomcat 32ACP also).

Finally,since these "Pocket Pistols"are more accurate than most people think -- and yes, even though they are mainly for close-up use -- having SA makes more distant shots possible, if necessary, due to the smoother trigger in SA vs. DA.

-- John D.
John,

My 950 EL is in .25 ACP and I agree with you...it is a VERY accurate little weapon and when loaded with 9 Corbons it'll do the trick with good bullet placement.

Craig