• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive OC comment

cynicist

imported post

I just got back from the convenience store, and the guy complimented my gun and asked what I needed to do that. I told him I don't need anything to do it, but wasn't sure about him, since he only is a permanent resident. I know that law was changed recently about non-citizens possessing firearms due to that NRA-SAF lawsuit, and that permanent residents can now possess, but then I looked up the law just now and can't find anything about non-citizens possessing at all. Am I looking in the right place? What are the laws about alien residents possessing?
As for the guy needing a gun- he does. He works the 10pm-6am shift in the only 24hr store in the middle of gangland, he's been robbed at least twice this summer. That last one I asked him about after I read about it in the paper, and he showed me the camera pictures of the gangsters that tried to fight him for some beer- they ended up leaving without the beer and one of the homies.
On an interesting note, it's the same store that that car flipped over that girl and was all over cable news a couple weeks ago. this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZExDDoOMG0

j2l3

imported post

You are looking for this...

[align=right][/align]
[/b]
*** CHANGE IN 2009 *** (SEE 1052-S2.SL) ***

(1) It is a class C felony for any person who is not a citizen of the United States to carry or possess any firearm, without first having obtained an alien firearm license from the director of licensing. In order to be eligible for a license, an alien must provide proof that he or she is lawfully present in the United States, which the director of licensing shall verify through the appropriate authorities. Except as provided in subsection (2)(a) of this section, and subject to the additional requirements of subsection (2)(b) of this section, the director of licensing may issue an alien firearm license only upon receiving from the consul domiciled in this state representing the country of the alien, a certified copy of the alien's criminal history in the alien's country indicating the alien is not ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to own, possess, or control a firearm, and the consul's attestation that the alien is a responsible person.

(2)(a) Subject to the additional requirements of (b) of this subsection, the director of licensing may issue an alien firearm license without a certified copy of the alien's criminal history or the consul's attestation required by subsection (1) of this section, if the alien has been a resident of this state for at least two years and: (i) The alien is from a country without a consul domiciled within this state, or (ii) the consul has failed to provide, within ninety days after a request by the alien, the criminal history or attestation required by subsection (1) of this section.

(b) Before issuing an alien firearm license under subsection (1) of this section or this subsection (2), the director of licensing shall ask the local law enforcement agency of the jurisdiction in which the alien resides to complete a background and fingerprint check to determine the alien's eligibility under RCW 9.41.040 to own, possess, or control a firearm. The law enforcement agency shall complete a background check within thirty days after the request, unless the alien does not have a valid Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card. In the latter case, the law enforcement agency shall complete the background check within sixty days after the request.

A signed application for an alien firearm license shall constitute a waiver of confidentiality and written request that the department of social and health services, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities release information relevant to the applicant's eligibility for an alien firearm license to an inquiring law enforcement agency.

(3) The alien firearm license shall be valid for five years from the date of issue so long as the alien is lawfully present in the United States. The nonrefundable fee, paid upon application, for the five-year license shall be fifty-five dollars plus additional charges imposed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that are passed on to the applicant. The fee shall be distributed as follows:

(a) Fifteen dollars shall be paid to the department of licensing;

(b) Twenty-five dollars shall be paid to the Washington state patrol; and

(c) Fifteen dollars shall be paid to the local law enforcement agency conducting the background check.

(4) This section shall not apply to Canadian citizens resident in a province which has an enactment or public policy providing substantially similar privilege to residents of the state of Washington and who are carrying or possessing weapons for the purpose of using them in the hunting of game while such persons are in the act of hunting, or while on a hunting trip, or while such persons are competing in a bona fide trap or skeet shoot or any other organized contest where rifles, pistols, or shotguns are used. Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow aliens to hunt or fish in this state without first having obtained a regular hunting or fishing license.

[1996 c 295 § 11; 1994 c 190 § 1; 1979 c 158 § 3; 1969 ex.s. c 90 § 1; 1953 c 109 § 1. Prior: 1911 c 52 § 1; RRS § 2517-1.]

Tawnos

imported post

I'm still waiting for the AFL to get challenged in court, as it seems to violate equal protection and equal rights for people legally here. I should check what the status of the SAF's suit is for that.

NavyMike

imported post

Firstly, Hi - Long time lurker; first time poster.

If he is a permanent resident, he is good to go as of July 09 when the below change went into effect. He can also apply for a CPL without first getting the AFL. (Igot my CPLthe month after the law changed). I'm a permanent resident (Green Card holder).

*** CHANGE IN 2009 *** (SEE 1052-S2.SL) ***

[align=left]NEW SECTION.
Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW[/align]

[align=left]to read as follows:[/align]

[align=left]It is a class C felony for any person who is not a citizen of the[/align]

[align=left]United States to carry or possess any firearm, unless the person: (1)[/align]

[align=left]Is a lawful permanent resident; (2) has obtained a valid alien firearm[/align]

[align=left]license pursuant to section 3 of this act; or (3) meets the[/align]
requirements of section 4 of this act.

olypendrew

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
I'm still waiting for the AFL to get challenged in court, as it seems to violate equal protection and equal rights for people legally here. I should check what the status of the SAF's suit is for that.

It also violates the supremacy clause, because the federal government has authority over immigration and naturalization matters, and it has already addressed thematter ofnon-citizens and firearms.