• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida DEP Open Carry Issue - The RESOLUTION

rebel-patriot

imported post

GIdeon_70 wrote:
You wrote: On another note, it is a testimony to the lack of leadership here in Florida that this particular issue could have gone so long unnoticed

I disagree!

I have been hitting everyone I could about this issue, including writing EVERY state legislator a few days ago. But that is not why I disagree with you.

It is NOT the responsibility of the "leadership," in florida to address these issues, but the gun owners in florida. It is our responsibility to call them out when they make illegal demands, or illegal restrictions. We are the ones that control our government, they are not the ones that control us.
Dear Gideon,

I believe possibly that you somewhat misunderstood what I intended. Perhaps I did not say it clearly enough.

What I meant was, it is a testimony to the lack of leadership of gun owners, sportsmen, and concerned citizens that this issue has gone so long unanswered and unnoticed.

In no way, am I trying to minimize your personal efforts. I applaud them.

However, in this specific matter, the legislature had already done its job. In 2006, they passed a measure specifically directing the DEP to come into line with all Florida firearms regulations. This meant also coming into line with 790.25(3)(h), which they had not done.

This matter was a state department operating outside their guidelines by imposing a regulation on the visitors to state parks that did not comply with current state law. The "worker bees" within the Department were doing what any good employee would do. They were following what they believed to be the direction of their management.

Their management thought this issue had been addressed and resolved years ago and was no longer an issue. Obviously a major disconnect.

Now the question becomes "Why did this issue sit for 3 years before being addressed by any of the groups previously mentioned? (i.e. concerned citizens, gun owners, sportsmen)?

Lack of interest? Lack of awareness? No time to deal with it? "Cant fight city hall" type of mentality? I have no idea. Quite possibly a combination of all those factors. But all of these boil down to leadership. No one to this time has rallied these groups into a single focused organization.

To this end I have started http://www.floridaopencarry.org .
I see this as a citizen driven activist organization. I am working on this site and you will soon see activities which I am planning. Things like setting up informational booths at gun shows, planning OC events around the state etc in addtion to identifying those laws that currently restrict our 2A rights, and I feel OC is right at the top of that list, and working with the legislature to get those laws changed.

Lets find a way for us to work together and bring OC to Florida.

Gulf Coast Gunman

GIdeon_70

imported post

Gulf Coast Gunman wrote:
GIdeon_70 wrote:
You wrote: On another note, it is a testimony to the lack of leadership here in Florida that this particular issue could have gone so long unnoticed

I disagree!

I have been hitting everyone I could about this issue, including writing EVERY state legislator a few days ago. But that is not why I disagree with you.

It is NOT the responsibility of the "leadership," in florida to address these issues, but the gun owners in florida. It is our responsibility to call them out when they make illegal demands, or illegal restrictions. We are the ones that control our government, they are not the ones that control us.
Dear Gideon,

I believe possibly that you somewhat misunderstood what I intended. Perhaps I did not say it clearly enough.

What I meant was, it is a testimony to the lack of leadership of gun owners, sportsmen, and concerned citizens that this issue has gone so long unanswered and unnoticed.

In no way, am I trying to minimize your personal efforts. I applaud them.

However, in this specific matter, the legislature had already done its job. In 2006, they passed a measure specifically directing the DEP to come into line with all Florida firearms regulations. This meant also coming into line with 790.25(3)(h), which they had not done.

This matter was a state department operating outside their guidelines by imposing a regulation on the visitors to state parks that did not comply with current state law. The "worker bees" within the Department were doing what any good employee would do. They were following what they believed to be the direction of their management.

Their management thought this issue had been addressed and resolved years ago and was no longer an issue. Obviously a major disconnect.

Now the question becomes "Why did this issue sit for 3 years before being addressed by any of the groups previously mentioned? (i.e. concerned citizens, gun owners, sportsmen)?

Lack of interest? Lack of awareness? No time to deal with it? "Cant fight city hall" type of mentality? I have no idea. Quite possibly a combination of all those factors. But all of these boil down to leadership. No one to this time has rallied these groups into a single focused organization.

To this end I have started http://www.floridaopencarry.org .
I see this as a citizen driven activist organization. I am working on this site and you will soon see activities which I am planning. Things like setting up informational booths at gun shows, planning OC events around the state etc in addtion to identifying those laws that currently restrict our 2A rights, and I feel OC is right at the top of that list, and working with the legislature to get those laws changed.

Lets find a way for us to work together and bring OC to Florida.

Gulf Coast Gunman

I have a private forum at www.daytonagunowners.comif you would like to use it to host the exclusive topic of open carry organizing. Let me know and I'll start the topic and get things underway.

I am also looking for folks to write articles about guns on the site, if you are interested or know anyone that is.