• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie with Questions

chickinct

imported post

Hi guys! My husband and I live in Stratford and began our permit application process back in March (!!). After we took our firearm safety class in Monroe, we picked up our applications, filled them out... blah blah blah, we were then told we would have to wait until August for the first available fingerprinting appt. OOOOkay.
Well, sometime in May we get a call that the department got more funds (or something to that effect) and our appointments were moved up to June. I got fingerprinted the 18th and my husband went a week later. He received his temp. permit in August and immediately completed the process. After calling, leaving messages, and finally talking to a detective, I finally received a letter that my temp. permit is available last week. When I started this process, the fee to the dept. was $35 - now it's doubled. My question is would you raise a stink about this? I feel like I should since I have a feeling my application got buried under papers or something since there is NO reason why it should have been held up this long and why should I have to pay twice the fee. On the other hand... do I really want to annoy the local authorities?! What do you think?

ESCH

imported post

I assume you have you temp permit in hand at this point?

If so, go get your full permit asap. Bring with you copies of your paperwork along with copies of your checks or fees you already paid with the application. You did keep copies of all of this didn't you ;). When you get to the DPS or State police with proper proof that you applied when the fees were $35 I would guess they would accept that. If not, just be prepared and have an extra $35 with you.

It sucks for everyone, but I guess someone is going to be the last to pay $35 and someone is going to be the first to pay $70. :cuss:Not much that can be done to change it now.

You have every right to ask that the fee still be $35 for you in my opinion. Doesn't mean the person behind the counter is going to be able to do it for you without you paying $70. So just go SOON and be prepaired either way.

chickinct

imported post

Thank you for your reply!
No, I just got the letter yesterday so I need to pick up the temp. permit. I'm pretty sure Stratford is the one asking for the $70!
I definitely kept every piece of paper, including where it states the fee is $35. The rub is that I already had the bank checks made out for $35... this is SO annoying!

ESCH

imported post

Stratford is asking for $70? You already paid them back inMarch right?

ESCH

imported post

Actually, rereading your posts, You were fingerprinted in June? I assume that is when you submitted the complete application and fingerprints and fees, correct? I know they wouldn't take an application without the correct fee submitted with it.

If they have your temp permit already done they shouldn't be asking about money. You should have already paid.

chickinct

imported post

I'm pretty sure the letter said $70 to Stratford. I paid the $19 + change back in June when I got fingerprinted. I think my husband paid $19 + change, $35 to Stratford + $35 to DPS, but I could be wrong. I'll double check tonight when I get home.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

When you get home I am sure that you will find that you owe DPS the money. Stratford as with all towns get paid up front. When you get there they will hand you your temp permit. Have the extra money for DPS...you can fight if you want, but I hate to say that you probably wont win with them (over this issue).

Good luck...get your permit and welcome to the club!!!!!

chickinct

imported post

HI Guys,
Just wanted to give you the update:
I did indeed have to pay Stratford $70 as well as DPS $70! Needless to say, I was extremely annoyed as I got fingerprinted in June and Stratford took their sweet time until the week AFTER the rates went up for me to pick up my permit in October. The fee for fingerprinting also went up as well as the background check.
Sheesh!

ESCH

imported post

Sorry to hear. The good news is that you have your permit. The bad news is that you have first hand experience in how the system is not working correctly. It is great that you took it upon yourself to seek out answers. Hopefully you keep that up and maybe take it a step further with getting involved in some capacity with some grassroots organizations looking to make things better for all of us looking to protect our rights. It is true that keeping you right to keep and bear arms is more work than getting a permit to exercise your right. We need help.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

ESCH wrote:
Sorry to hear. The good news is that you have your permit. The bad news is that you have first hand experience in how the system is not working correctly. It is great that you took it upon yourself to seek out answers. Hopefully you keep that up and maybe take it a step further with getting involved in some capacity with some grassroots organizations looking to make things better for all of us looking to protect our rights. It is true that keeping you right to keep and bear arms is more work than getting a permit to exercise your right. We need help.
ESCH,

Great post explaining how grassroots will make things better for all of us.

I would just like to suggest to you when discussing any grassroots organization, that you point to that group, either by name or by posting the web address, or even both.

Kinda like this...LOL!!

Join the CCDL membership is FREE!!
www.ccdl.us