• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reason Number 1 why OC is better than CC

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

juturna wrote:
I personally have evidence of perps getting ahold of a trained officers gun and using it against them (which is why I carry a back up) so is it possible for someone getting a gun from a untrained persons hip? Yes it is. Although it has not been posted on the Internet or news does not mean it hasn't happened. Would you want the shame of your dead father on the Internet because someone shot him with his own gun.

Your way of thinking reminds me of the way the city I used to
live in thought of a certain intersection near my old house. Since there was no light people got in wrecks all the time with horrible injjuries oh but that's fine because not enough people died yet.

Although there are clear signs of danger people don't seem to react until what is worth preventing happens.

LEO's have to deal with criminals everyday, we don't. Obviously, using LEO's as an example is a lame argument just on that note alone.

Your using a street intersection as an analogy, now? Why do people need a light to tell them how to negotiate an intersection safely without causing a wreck? In every instance that there was a wreck at that intersection, I can gaurantee you somebody wan't paying attention - no situational awareness.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
juturna wrote:
I personally have evidence of perps getting ahold of a trained officers gun and using it against them (which is why I carry a back up) so is it possible for someone getting a gun from a untrained persons hip? Yes it is. Although it has not been posted on the Internet or news does not mean it hasn't happened. Would you want the shame of your dead father on the Internet because someone shot him with his own gun.

Your way of thinking reminds me of the way the city I used to
live in thought of a certain intersection near my old house. Since there was no light people got in wrecks all the time with horrible injjuries oh but that's fine because not enough people died yet.

Although there are clear signs of danger people don't seem to react until what is worth preventing happens.

LEO's have to deal with criminals everyday, we don't. Obviously, using LEO's as an example is a lame argument just on that note alone.

Your using a street intersection as an analogy, now? Why do people need a light to tell them how to negotiate an intersection safely without causing a wreck? In every instance that there was a wreck at that intersection, I can gaurantee you somebody wan't paying attention - no situational awareness.
I'm not trying to be confrontation, tho my direct-ness sometimes comes off that way...

But I didn't reply to the most glaring part of this immediately.

"Although there are clear signs of danger people don't seem to react until what is worth preventing happens."

The argument against OC has fallen flat. The argument for any advantage to CC has also. Of all the crazy, harmful, and bizarre things I can find references to human beings doing to each other, I still can't find even one example of an OCer's weapon being taken, or an OCer being attacked due to his/her OC. The absence of this information is what is so 'amazing.' You would not beleive the outlandish and just freakishly strange ways people find to harm each other, yet this argument is nowhere to be found; except in the minds of CCers trying to assert that CC does more than it really can.

"Although there are clear signs of danger people don't seem to react until what is worth preventing happens."

By the LAWS of CC in almost every state, you CANNOT draw your weapon until this point occurs anyway! It is illegal to even draw your weapon until a deadly threat exists, not the body language or 'signal' that may or may not imply it. Even if you are situationaly aware, it is against the law. One is REQUIRED to wait until what is worth preventing has happened. But OC would prevent it.

"Head and Shoulders? But you don't have dandruff..."
"Exactly!"

However, I have never been forced to squirt anyone in the face with a shampoo bottle... ;-)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Is the possibility of being Statistic Number One so scary, that setting one's self up to be Statistic Number Much Larger Than One is somehow worth it?

Step over a dollar to pick up a penny, and call it an advantage?  I guess some people insist on learning the hard way...  I hope they never have to.
You, sir, have hit the nail square on the head.

Good job.

JohnnyO

imported post

ixtow wrote:
And just as a footnote... Ever seen those ridiculous CC badges? I've never seen one for OC... Which group has the ego problem enough to sell that product into the market? Gosh...
Now that the conversation has degraded to the point of talking about CC badges I no longer care to be involved. Especially given the context in which the badges are referenced is ridiculous. You might as well blame males for the Extenze adds on TV.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In the end, this argument boils down to a simple collection of facts.

In ever use of a CC weapon, defensively and legally, the attack is already begun, and the CCer manages to repel the aggressor. The attack was NOT prevented, it was repelled, or prevented from getting even worse than it already was. But it was not prevented, not even one time.

How many OCers have told that story?

Yes, either way you are playing odds. One is 50/50, the other is damn near 100%. I choose win.

Now, I just gotta get out of this dump so that I am 'allowed' to win...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JohnnyO wrote:
ixtow wrote:
And just as a footnote... Ever seen those ridiculous CC badges? I've never seen one for OC... Which group has the ego problem enough to sell that product into the market? Gosh...
Now that the conversation has degraded to the point of talking about CC badges I no longer care to be involved. Especially given the context in which the badges are referenced is ridiculous. You might as well blame males for the Extenze adds on TV.
Your assertion is even more ludicrous and out of context. All I stated was that there is no such product for OCers, because there is no market. OCers don't want a badge to play cop with. But, apparently, there is a portion of the CC community that does think that way, or the product wouldn't exist in a capitalist arena... Someone must be buying them... And considering what is written on them, I bet it's mostly CCers....

Don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha...

Francis Marion

imported post

juturna, you sound like a good candidate for my new Alien Abduction Insurance. I know, there is no evidence that it has ever happened but I've heard that it could have happened and, after all, you don't want to become statistic #1.

ixtow wrote:
Do I get a cookie?
Sure! You'll find it in your browsers temp files folder.

NCjones

imported post

Well, I don't know about OC v. CC so far as deterent whatever. I just know I don't like being stopped by ever cop I see and having to explain the whole "OC is not illegal in NC" spiel when I OC. then he has to check my ID, then call his supervisor to see if there really is no statute against OC in NC.

NCjones

imported post

"LEO's have to deal with criminals everyday, we don't. Obviously, using LEO's as an example is a lame argument just on that note alone."

Actually, any person can go thru the same weapon retention classes that a cop goes thru. Cops don't possess some top-secret knowledge. There are several self defense schools that offer these courses. The question is, are you too lazy to take the responsibility of being properly trained to use said weapon.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NCjones wrote:
"LEO's have to deal with criminals everyday, we don't. Obviously, using LEO's as an example is a lame argument just on that note alone."

Actually, any person can go thru the same weapon retention classes that a cop goes thru. Cops don't possess some top-secret knowledge. There are several self defense schools that offer these courses. The question is, are you too lazy to take the responsibility of being properly trained to use said weapon.
I hate that "It's the LEO's job" line. It happens to a citizen long before a cop shows up to talk about it, draw a chalk outline, 'investigate' what is already over and done, etc.... As the 'collective' group the LEO is sworn to protect, not the individual, the 'collective' citizen has to deal with WAY more violence than any LEO; it is the supposed reason that the LEOs even exist... Duh.

COPs is only a half an hour long show, with a ton of ads, and it is in re-runs... There just isn't that much exciting stuff to put on TV that goes on when you follow cops around with a camera.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NCjones wrote:
Well, I don't know about OC v. CC so far as deterent whatever. I just know I don't like being stopped by ever cop I see and having to explain the whole "OC is not illegal in NC" spiel when I OC. then he has to check my ID, then call his supervisor to see if there really is no statute against OC in NC.
Only because you tolerate it.

"Am I being detained?"

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I had this bizzare impression that the element of surprise, from a "tactical" perspective was limited to the offensive.

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Holy cow, what a thread. I first saw it and thought, "...hey, this might be good." HA, I can't believe I almost fell for it. It's the same old thing. A guy that thinks he's right and the world is wrong and he wants to make sure everyone knows it. Is there an app for that? :p

ixtow, reading your basis for OC, I saw one thing clearly from the beginning. You want to intimidate people around you by putting your gun in their face, figuratively speaking. You want to use your gun as your 1st line of defense. That's dangerous, both in practice and as a way of thinking. That kind of thinking is as much a threat, or more, that true anti-gun folks. It give anti's an example of they perceive to be the dangerous, "Hollywood" attitude of gun owners when in fact, it's likely the minority voice, although the loudest voice screaming in their ears.

I'm 100% supportive of open carry and hope that the next session here in Texas it'll make more headway. But I'm not blind to the fact that OC or CC or firearms in general are NOT what protect people. They are a tool, 1 of many tools for defense when needed. A last resort at that.

In your scenario, you've left out the #1, simple 1st line if defense that will reduce you and your families chance of being a victim to almost 0. Awareness. Educating yourself, your kids, your whole family about what criminals don't like in their victims is key. Scanning crowds making passive eye contact is a major red flag to the bad guy with his sights set on you. It's something a 3 yr old kid can do.

Like it or not, OCing in most cases, like your mall example, will cause more problems than I want to deal with. I shouldn't feel that way but it's the cold hard truth; you can't control other peoples emotions or actions.

I don't wear my wallet on my sleeve, or my keys hanging off my belt and I don't need to hang my gun out in the open for no other reason that as a deterrent either. It's a tool that I need to be close and ready when and if I need it. If that means "deep cover" or open with a jacket hanging over or the rare case it could mean completly open, it doesn't matter, but I don't need to use it to intimidate people from labeling me as a victim. A split second of eye contact stops things you never knew were in the works just fine.

Also, if you have a hard time drawing a concealed weapon, you aren't practicing enough or you're not using the right gear. Sure, open and in tactical speed gear would a split second quicker, but that split second isn't going to make the difference you're trying to convince people it will. You won't convince me that 2.1 seconds vs. anything faster will make the difference in keeping your child from being snatched. And if it does, you didn't do your job in the seconds prior.

Hollywood cowboys with loud mouths will only hurt open carry efforts.

FYI, I have no intention of debating this here. But from most of the replies, there is no debating the subject, only arguing whos got the biggest...I mean, that one is right and the other is wrong. :D

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

ixtow wrote:
NCjones wrote:

"Am I being detained?"
Do you have a good lawyer? :celebrate

Section32

imported post

ixtow wrote:
NCjones wrote:
Well, I don't know about OC v. CC so far as deterent whatever.  I just know I don't like being stopped by ever cop I see and having to explain the whole "OC is not illegal in NC" spiel when I OC.  then he has to check my ID, then call his supervisor to see if there really is no statute against OC in NC.

"Am I being detained?"
Very interesting thread. Ixtow, thank you for taking the time and making the effort to defend your position against all comers. I am new to OC (that's why I'm here). I used to only CC until I got involved in my city's very first OC walk through the downtown streets. What a liberating experience! The poster above explains the real reason why most GOs CC instead of OC: fear. They (we) are afraid of being detained or what the neighbors think or ramifications at work or......fill in the blank. Your steadfast defense of all the reasons to OC helps many of us to gather the nerve to take the leap. I hope we can all say that we are stout defenders of our Constitution and the gun community in general. There is no doubt in my mind that the OC movement is the 'Tip of the Spear'.

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There's another example of being misguided.

What, if and how you carry should be based on your personal need; it should not not to prove a point. Proving points only gives the opposition something to attack and you a false foundation.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JKTex wrote:
There's another example of being misguided.

What, if and how you carry should be based on your personal need; it should not not to prove a point. Proving points only gives the opposition something to attack and you a false foundation.
'The point' is that "He has a gun and nothing bad happened."

It is a very valid point, and probably the most useful reason to carry that there could ever be:

1) The carrier did not go crazy for no apparent reason.
2) The carrier did not get attacked by anyone else.

Two birds, one stone. One does not invalidate the other, they reinforce each other.

CC cannot demonstrate either. Sure, a CCer won't go crazy with their gun. But it isn't DEMONSTRATED to others as such. CC also does not prevent an attack, it merely gives you a possibility of maybe (likely) thwarting and repelling an attack. But you're still rolling the dice with pretty reasonable odds that you won't win.

One can stack the deck in their favor in a number of ways, both CC and OC. But OC still has a much stronger record by the fact that there isn't even one single reort of being attacked while OCing. No falsely heroic "surprise" tales of how that guy must have crapped himself. Just a whole bunch of dead air because 'nothing happened.' Not to the carrier, and not to anyone else near the carrier.

I like 100% odds. They aren't odds.