Thread: "I have GUNS!" Door Notice

Post imported post

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home after a long day at work and was looking forward to cleaning my father's gun collection. He has been out of town for a while and he asked me to make sure they were not dusty, rusted, etc. He has some really nice long guns and pistols, which makes it a real pleasure admiring the craftsman's ship.

My favorite is the 1911 Polished Stainless Steel 9mm. There is something about the 1911 that makes it such an amazing pistol. From the balance to the feel of the slide ramming another round into the chamber, its unique.

While cleaning the 1911 at the kitchen table the doorbell rang. I was cleaning the slide, and proceeded to answer the door with most of my attention focused on it. Upon looking up and seeing a young women maybe in her mid twenties, I knew it was going to be about a neighborhood action or what not. After my quick, but noticeable, sigh she proceeded to introduce herself and start talking about god knows what. I really wasn't paying attention due to the sheer fact that the 1911 had most of my attention when the key words hit my brain, "Gun Control".

I quickly invited her in no matter what her position was, I knew it was going to get interesting. Now, you have to keep in mind I live in probably the most liberal part of Maryland, Montgomery County. So, due to my current residence in this quite neighborhood, I had a good feeling it was going to be about taking away my second. I am not Republican or Democratic but more of an Independent.

She was quite hesitant on coming in for a drink of ice tea, probably because she noticed the stripped pistol behind me on the kitchen table. I ended up coaxing her in anyways. She went to sit at the kitchen table with a stare on the 1911 while I poured a glass of tea. After promptly handing her her drink I asked her to start over. This is where it gets interesting.

She proceeded to tell me she wanted to present a requirement to the Homeowners Association about Gun Control. I am all for getting illegal weapons off the streets but when she went towards my rights, I was astonished. I had never heard such blatant lies in my life, well I have but that was in court, but this was about my rights. She proclaimed that almost all violent crimes involving firearms were purchased at firearm stores. I chuckled a bit and she continued. Stating next that if firearms were made illegal than we wouldn't have a much lower murder percentage. I chuckled a bit and picked up the 1911's frame.

She was a bit disturbed at my chuckling and asked me what was funny. With a quick response I replied that most firearms used in robberies are stolen and proceeded on explaining to her that weapons dont kill people, people kill people. I am pretty sure she knew this and was just trying to get my signature. I asked her to proceed and didnt correct for more nonsense she spewed.

Onto the good part, she quickly went into neighborhood gun ownership and then went onto public notification. At this point I was pretty much going to point her to the door, but I was still listening. She wanted to make it a requirement to put a flier on your front door saying "I own firearms". I almost lost it in laughter. I was practically in tears, when I tried to explain to her that was insane.

I asked her if she had any kids, she nodded. I then asked if she would sign a piece of paper stating on your front door that says "I have X amount of children in the house.". She then proceeded to explain how kids aren't dangerous. I then said they can be if you are not a responsible parent, and firearms can be too if you are not responsible with them. I then explain to her that having this on a front door would either make me or you a target for a home invasion depending on what a criminal wants. If they want to ransom your kids, then they rob you. If they want to steel some firearms to rob some banks, they will target me. Though in my case if I ever have someone break into my house, I will make sure it is their last.

After much deliberation neither of us were changing our positions on this matter. I pointed her to the door when I noticed only a couple of signatures on the list. It is good to see that at least some people have some sense.

What is this world coming to?

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    <snip>
    She proceeded to tell me she wanted to present a requirement to the Homeowners Association about Gun Control.
    <snip>
    What is this world coming to?
    It sounds like she thinks the HOA should get into the business of registering firearms. An HOA is not the local government like a township or a city, but some of their members think they are. Even if they were, Maryland has state-level firearm law preemption to cover that case.

Give your HOA documents a read, just in case your HOA tries to take this further. I doubt there's anything in their charter (or in the laws of Maryland) that would give them any power to regulate homeowners with regards to the keeping or bearing of firearms or, for that matter, from storing any legal property of any kind in your house or from transporting that property with you when you leave your house; and you should never have to register your property with the HOA.

The lady's not only misinformed on the right to keep and bear arms, she's also misinformed as to what an HOA really is.

Article 3 from my HOA's Articles of Incorporation reads:

PURPOSE
    The Association does not contemplate pecuniary gain or profit to its members. The purposes for which the Association is organized are to:
    1. provide for the Upkeep of the Common Area and, to the extent provided in the Association Documents, of the Lots;
    2. establish and administer the architectural standards governing the Property
    3. exercise all powers and perform all duties and obligations of the Association as set forth in the Association Documents with respect to all or any portion of the Property; and
    4. exercise the powers now or hereafter conferred by law on Virginia nonstock corporations necessary or desirable to accomplish the above purposes.

And there's nothing in the "Association Documents" regarding firearms. The documents refer to nothing more than proper upkeep of homes and grounds, architectural and landscaping standards, and vehicles/trailers/objects that may not be stored in public spaces.

For example, the HOA could keep me from parking a three pounder cannon in my driveway or front yard; but they couldn't keep me from parking it in my garage; nor could they require me to register it with the HOA.

Just hope she is never voted to the HOA board.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I wonder if this a school project, or a hare-brained idea of your local Brady Bunch.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I read somewhere that someone put up their target from after a day at the range, with a VERY nice pattern.

It served 2 functions:
    Yes, I got guns.
    Yes I know how to shoot them too!

I think the thought of a center of mass target (or a Zombie target..those things are KEWL!) with a number of well-placed holes may get the point across rather nicely.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Post imported post

vt800c wrote:
    I read somewhere that someone put up their target from after a day at the range, with a VERY nice pattern.
    I have a large man-sized target on my office wall with a horrible grouping on it. The target has 4 bullet holes in it. One grazing thesilhouette with the otherthree in a group you couldn't cover with a turkey platter.

I've had several people ask me why I had such a bad example of marksmanship on my wall. I explain to them that thoseholes represent 4 out of 5 shotsfrom 7/8 mile distance (about 1700 yards)with a black powder cartridge riflewithout a scope.

What I don't tell them is that I shot5 moretimes that day (we got 3 sighting/ranging rounds and then5 on a clean target each round)and failed to hit the target again.