Thread: Wisconsin OCing in the Winter

Post imported post

I will be spending some time in Wisconsin this winter. Unfortunately they are apparently one of the few completely non-CCW states and are strict on even partial coverage so I hear.

So how do you completely OC in winter garb?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Like a cowboy, with a gun belt.

Post imported post

Three words

Tactical Thigh Holster
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Banned

Post imported post

...like a mall-ninja wannabe.

One of our too many Wisconsin arrests for disorderly conduct was of a young man wearing a thigh drop rig.

Post imported post

Well it's easy you see! You simply dress light and make a beeline from the car to where ever you are going. Besides, it makes that first burst of warm air seem 10 times better.

Post imported post

lol One of the thought I thought about posting was if ninja holders were the only option. Maybe I should pick up some Dragon Skin armor just in case too. :quirky

Doug, I'm not a fan of the "hollywood" style holsters that hang down your thigh. But one of those WW2 style 1911 flap holsters may do the trick, though a midsize Glock may not fit.

Just wearing a good wool sweater sounds attractive, but if it's 20F and windy, that just won't cut it. I may just look for a waist length jacket.

Using a SERPA holster at the moment. Would picking up a leather holster hurt or help reactions over evil black plastic?

Banned

Post imported post

I-ANAL, it is likely that wannabes will be along with their contradictory opinions.

A full flap holster is arguably concealed. The details are in Wisconsin statute and case law.

I use a SERPA for my OC SA1911. I'm waiting for my 50" x 1-1/2" gun belt to be made and delivered.

Post imported post

Look at any of the police clothing catalogs. Quartermaster, Brigade Quartermaster, Galls, Police One are just a few.

They have decent jackets with side zippers that allow your holster to be outside the garment. If it's good enough for the cops it ought to be good enough for you.

Imagine showing up in court with the same jacket as the cop and asking the judge why his is OK and yours is not

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned

Post imported post

Well, the OP question is specific to Wisconsin where the citation will likely be for Disorderly Conduct rather than a well defined concealed weapon charge.

To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
    s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
    2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
    State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

Because the elements of 941.23 are explicit it is also easily refuted.

947.01 Disorderly conduct. Whoever, in a public or private
    place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous,
    unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances
    in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance
    is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

The obligatory weapons enhancement raises DC/weapons to a felony.

I apologize for the Wisconsin specific details.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Gunbelts with a large jacket are almost certainly going to get you a CCW charge unless the belt is outside of the jacket. I will pass on a belt wrapped around my jacket with the holster flapping in the wind. From the standpoint of a handgun hunter, it is less safe to be carrying in such a manor. Nothing wrong with a drop leg holster. Just as acceptable from a "legal" standpoint. Nothing "disorderly" about it. We don't open carry because we are trying to make a fashion statement. Y-ANAL Accusing someone of being a Mall-ninja wanna be is just being divisive which is one thing we do not need more of in WI.:?

Post imported post

Having grown up in MN, I can offer this advice. Put your jacket in the car incase the car breaks down. Wear a sweatshirt, sweater, flannel shirt in the car - suffer until the heater gets going. Run/brisk walk from said car to whatever store your going to, heated parking is nice . Walking a quarter mile or more in the winter without protection (weather wise) is sheer lunacy.

Banned

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    Y-ANAL Accusing someone of being a Mall-ninja wanna be is just being divisive which is one thing we do not need more of in WI.:?
    The guilty dog barks first. The guilty Anony Mouse squeaks.

Jawohl meine Messiah OBONGO! No dissent!

Darn, it's like whack-a-mole off. Beat 'em back on one front and Up jump de debbil elsewhere.

Post imported post

When the gun grabbers and gun rights grabbers describe Open Carriers and Concealed Carriers as "cowboys", I can assure you that it is not a term of endearment. Why would you deliberately sink to their level and throw derogatory labels at our brothers in arms just because you have a different fashion sense? It has nothing to do with dissent and more to do with simple minded pettiness. Your accusation is akin to pullingthe race card.

Doug Huffman wrote:
    The guilty Anony Mouse squeaks.
    The fact that you registered with your actual name gives you no moral high ground. Get over yourself and trypresenting your position without the insults and name calling.

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Darn, it's like whack-a-mole off. Beat 'em back on one front and Up jump de debbil elsewhere.
    Isn't it though? It is bad enough that we have the antis throwing around labels. We do not need those within the movement doing the same and causing divisiveness. How about respecting our diffences and the diversity within our movement?

Banned

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    The fact that you registered with your actual name gives you no moral high ground.
    Hey, good point. I hadn't thought of that! When I run for higher office they will be able to tie a can to my tail. High ground or low blow, Anony Mouse? I stand behind my words, including my disdain for the Benighted_Interrupter.

Post imported post

5.11 Tactical makes winter coats with zippers on the side that can go around a holster.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    High ground or low blow, Anony Mouse? I stand behind my words, including my disdain for the Benighted_Interrupter.
    Did one of your grandchildren get a hold of your keyboard? Seriously....:?

Such conduct should be far below the good judgement of someone who claims to be alearnedadult whohas over 6 decades of maturity under his belt. The fact that your only response is a continuation of the same old stale insults reads volumes to your character.Such simplistic nonsense.