• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Must 18 thru 20-year-olds Be Defenseless?

swatspyder

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Vandal wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
I agree I don't see why there is an age limit to begin with, at some point we have to decide when someone is legally an adult and it sure as heck isn't when your 18.

Maturity. You live on a college campus, look around and tell me that those on WSU should be allowed to pack a gun on a daily basis. From what I have seen, most of them should be kept away from guns. Those with the levels of maturity essential to daily carry aren't those who will be in dangerous places or situations.
I do see your point but if I want to be free then I have to allow others to be free as well, I'm 21 and happen to be (in my own opinion) very responsible with firearms. Other 21 year olds are irresponsible in just about anything they do but if I want I should be free to own a gun to protect myself then so should they. If they are irresponsible with a gun they will be punished and if they use it properly then good for them but the same rules apply to me as well.
and................
/thread

kwiebe

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I don't think that the 18 to 20 year age group has any higher percentage in it of persons who are too immature to handle a firearm responsibly than the 21+ age group. In this era of ours, personal responsibility is on a severe decline across all ages. There are just as many persons 21+ who I, personally, do not think areresponsible enough to carry a firearm, but I am not going to advocate restricting their rights.

My vote is to treat 18 to 20 year old persons the same as 21+ for firearms. If the government can givethem a gun and send them to Iraq or Afghanistan, that same person should be able to have and carry their gun in civilian life as well.
+1

It's disheartening to see the posts making generalizations re: "maturity" of an age group, etc. This is just nanny state thinking, imo, and has no place in a Constitutional Republic. If they're adults, they're adults. Deal with it.

And I think the comparison with the voting issue/serving in the military is valid (while not a perfect analogy). Comparing things does not mean you're equating them, and I disagree with the premise that the voting issue was about "voting against the war." That may have been the practical impression of those involved, but the real issue from a societal perspective was the relative responsibility and trust associated with the concept of voting vs. the concept of serving your country.

My point was that, in the issue of adult carrying, it is reasonable to compare the level of societal trust and responsibility associated with carrying a firearm, peaceful society or no. By law, that decision should be left up to the adult, and once again, if the adult is of the age where he may serve his country, that should be indicative of the amount of societal trust and responsibility willing to be placed upon that individual.

compmanio365

imported post

I happen to know people in their 60s I wouldn't trust being around if they were armed......I know people under 18 I would have no problem covering my back in a firefight....age has very little to do with it.

I happen to know someone personally that's the same age as I that I wouldn't trust at this point with a rusty spoon, much less a firearm. Unfortunately this person hasn't done anything yet to get their carry rights revoked......until they do something, they have the same rights as any other person; my opinion is only that, my opinion.

Frankly, arbitrary laws about age have very little to do with reality, and just perpetuate the "feel good" society we live in. The world is not safer because little Johnny can't own his own rifle or pistol.

virgil47

imported post

Vandal wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
I agree I don't see why there is an age limit to begin with, at some point we have to decide when someone is legally an adult and it sure as heck isn't when your 18.

Maturity. You live on a college campus, look around and tell me that those on WSU should be allowed to pack a gun on a daily basis. From what I have seen, most of them should be kept away from guns. Those with the levels of maturity essential to daily carry aren't those who will be in dangerous places or situations.

B.S. If a person is old enough and mature enough to vote for the leader of the most powerful nation on earth and are also mature enough to carry and use a machine gun in the military then they are certainly old enough to buy and carry a handgun or buy a beer.

killchain

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Vandal wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

B.S. If a person is old enough and mature enough to vote for the leader of the most powerful nation on earth and are also mature enough to carry and use a machine gun in the military then they are certainly old enough to buy and carry a handgun or buy a beer.
Word Virgil, word. Very true, I agree with you 110%, especially in reference to the military. Anyone who can take the Oath and put their life on the line for their country should be afforded all the rights a "full-blooded adult" has, including the right to own/carry a handgun, buy alcohol, etc.

Just like open carrying, everyone has the right to own a gun/carry but maybe some people shouldn't do it. It is the right of a 35-year old man with anger problems who got a few suspensions in school for fighting, and screams at people on the road, but maybe he should think twice about carrying a pistol if he thinks he'll blow his top. (Not speaking of anyone in particular, just saying. :) )

Me personally, I have a very firm grasp of what I feel is right and what people's rights are. I support things like open carry because it is everyone's right. Sometimes I think some people shouldn't do it, but I'm not going to try to stop them or tell them. It's your right, your business, and as long as you don't hurt anyone around me everything is A-OK. This applies to a LOT of things, not just open carry. :)

But who are we to say who can and who can't? Why should an 18-year old be restricted whereas a 21-year old isn't? Other than the relative idea of "maturity" no one can really provide a concrete answer... and maturity is relative.