• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-mart is NOT gun friendly!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"Lady?"

RE: class and behavior, there are lots of "women" out there but not a whole lot of real "ladies."

But you know, that goes for "men" nowadays, too, maybe more so as many "men" even aren't sure they are male...so we can't even begin to determine if they are "gentlemen" or not.

The decline of America continues...

-- John D.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I have opened carried at my local walmart tons of times and talked to several employees that ask me questions about my gun. Most of the employees know that it's legal and a few that apparently don't have asked me about my gun and I have educated them.

TFred

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Why are there no open carriers on there?
These are the people considered by both the photo submitters and the owner of the web site to be the oddities, the lowest of the low among Walmart customers.

It is good and fitting that no OC'ers would meet that criteria.

TFred

since9

Campaign Veteran
thx997303 wrote: It almost seems like this board, and others, have taken up the crusade of other groups in protest of Wal-Mart. Why Wal-mart, why not McDonalds or Burger King. Very seldom do I ever see them mentioned one way or the other so is there something different?

I've never heard of anyone being asked to leave a McDonalds or Burger King because they were OCing.

I don't see that this forum or others are protesting Walmart. What I see is a retailer whose corporate heads have failed to make corporate policy clear to store managers and sales associates. The result is confusion and inappropriate action on the part of some of those managers and sales associates. Other retailers don't appear to have this problem.

So, yes - OC in Walmart can be thought of as a litmus test. Be advised, however, that asking customers who OC to leave is not commensurate with Walmart corporate policy!

There's a letter from a Walmart attorney floating around which appears to encourage store managers from allowing people to OC. It doesn't prohibit carrying altogether; it simply favors CC.

The problem with this letter, however, is that it's from an attorney at regional level. It is NOT Walmart corporate (management) policy.

The only official Walmart corporate-level policy on this matter is echoed in line 1 of their golden rules for managers and associates: "Obey the law at all times." Does Colorado State law allow a manager or associate to ask someone carrying a firearm to leave the store? Yes. Is that Walmart's local, regional, or corporate policy to preemptively refuse access to anyone carrying a firearm?

Absolutely not!

Since January, I've made a lot of calls to Walmart corporate on this issue, primarily because it appears Walmart's lack of more definative guidance to managers and associates is causing most of the problems.

Here's what came of those many conversations:

It is against Walmart corporate policy for managers or associates to ask anyone to leave the store provided the individual is behaving in a lawful manner.

That's it, folks, right in line with "obey the law at all times." Their reasoning is "how can we tell a customer to leave if they're adhering to the first of our golden rules?

There is a caveat, however: Managers or associates may ask someone to leave if they're:
1. Doing something illegal.
2. Being disruptive. This includes shouting obcenties or heatedly arguing with anyone in the store.
3. Are a danger to themselves or others. This includes things like skateboarding anywhere on Walmart property, climbing on the store shelves, or tossing one of the baseballs in the back.

I asked them if OC would, could, or should be considered as beloning to any of the exceptions, and the consensus was "no, provided it's properly holstered." Brandishing is illegal, of course, and managers would simply prefer OC remain within reasonable levels of decorum.

Publius

This is the complete text sent to me by Walmart after I asked them what their policy was on OC.

-----------------------------------
Dear Benjamin,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding Open Carry. There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

I have OC in Walmart and have had 0 problems, compare that to having had the police called on me twice while at Tea Party events.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Open Carry at Walmart without any !@#$

Never had any issue in California open carrying in walmart.....I'm usually purchasing ammunition :)

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is the complete text sent to me by Walmart after I asked them what their policy was on OC.

Dear Benjamin,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding Open Carry. There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun. As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

I think they're just covering their bases.

I have OC in Walmart and have had 0 problems, compare that to having had the police called on me twice while at Tea Party events.

I've never been to a Tea Party event, but one of the associates in my local Walmart with whom I was reasonably well-acquainted "strongly advised" me to simply CC. I discounted his concerns as merely being those from a former military LEO, but then he said something else, something rather disturbing: "If you don't, someone might call the cops and file a complaint against you on grounds of public menacing."

I thought, "WHAT?" I said, "public menacing?" He said, "yes, it's within their right." I said, "You're telling me it's within their right to accusing me of an illegality while I'm engaged in a lawful activity?" He said, "Yes."

He and I are no longer friends.

Shortly afterwards, I met with the local store's manager. At the time, his only input had been from my ex-friend, so he was leaning in that direction. We sat down on two short occasions, during which time I showed him a couple of excerpts from the Colorado Revised Statutes. He remained unconvinced until I suggested he simply call the local police department, which is located just across the street, and ask them of the legality of a MWAG here in Colorado Springs. He did, on speakerphone, and they asked the usual questions, including "Is he threatening anyone? Does he appear to be a menace?" to which he answered, "no, he's simply shopping." Their answer was "there's nothing illegal about that. We can't respond. Give us a call back if he does anything illegal or out of the ordinary."

He was convinced, and I haven't had a single issue there since, or any other Walmart here in town, for that matter. I think my talks with folks in corporate have helped. Don't know, though, as I have no indication they discussed the issue with local store owners. The only think I received from them was a simple e-mail and several "thank you for your concerns."

SavageOne

So, yes - OC in Walmart can be thought of as a litmus test. Be advised, however, that asking customers who OC to leave is not commensurate with Walmart corporate policy! .................

Since January, I've made a lot of calls to Walmart corporate on this issue, primarily because it appears Walmart's lack of more definative guidance to managers and associates is causing most of the problems.

Here's what came of those many conversations:

It is against Walmart corporate policy for managers or associates to ask anyone to leave the store provided the individual is behaving in a lawful manner.

That's it, folks, right in line with "obey the law at all times." Their reasoning is "how can we tell a customer to leave if they're adhering to the first of our golden rules?

There is a caveat, however: Managers or associates may ask someone to leave if they're:
1. Doing something illegal.
2. Being disruptive. This includes shouting obcenties or heatedly arguing with anyone in the store.
3. Are a danger to themselves or others. This includes things like skateboarding anywhere on Walmart property, climbing on the store shelves, or tossing one of the baseballs in the back.

I asked them if OC would, could, or should be considered as beloning to any of the exceptions, and the consensus was "no, provided it's properly holstered." Brandishing is illegal, of course, and managers would simply prefer OC remain within reasonable levels of decorum.

The answer they gave you does not seem to fit with the one they gave Publius. It would appear that the corporate policy does give the managers the right to ask you to leave for OC.

Dear Benjamin,

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care