• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Week: OC & Otherwise

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This past Saturday my best friend and I got married after many years of courtship. Some of y'all have met my lovely bride so you know who I'm talking about. Anyway, overall the week was a good one not only because of the wedding, but for spreading a little OC love to southwest VA.

As I wrapped up preparations for the wedding I OC'ed all over town (Lynchburg) and did a fair bit of shopping at the local Kohl's, Wally-World, True Value, Lowe'sand other such places. Thursday night took me down to Roanoke to pick up my suit at Men's Wearhouse. I'd gone down there a week or so earlier to get an outfit for the wedding and not only did the gentleman who took care of me have no problem at all with my gun, he made sure the suit jacket would be tailored to fit around it (at my request) and pushed up the alterations return date so that I could have my suit in time for the wedding. Upon arrival back at Men's Wearhouse just before close on Thursday the two gentlemen in the store took good care of me and we had a good conversation about all being gun toters and the importance it is to our own safety.

After finishing up in Men's Wearhouse I stopped by the local Wally-World still OC'ing, but using my cell phone for my DVR. The Wally World stop was only so I could pick up a new DVR since I'd left all my others back in Lynchburg. I had no problems at WW, so I boogied on over to Carrabba's, where I'd had an issue with a new manager a year and a half back. The Carrabba's "NO GUNS" sign has long been removed (thanks in large part to letters sent by folks from this site), but I never felt like giving them my business again until Thursday. Knowing the history of the store I wanted to ensure I had a working DVR, but I had absolutely no problems. When seated I sat gun side out and despite various workers walking by, never had the first issue.

Friday had me running around like a chicken with its head cut off, but I made it through the day OC'ing everywhere. That evening my bride to be and I took my family out to dinner at the Neighbor's Place Restarant, both of us OC'ing like normal and enjoyed a wonderful dinner. As is habit I OC'ed all through the next day and up to the wedding in my back yard, when my jacket hid my belted sidearm. My lovely young bride, having discovered pockets in her wedding dress when she tried it on, decided she too would be carrying so with her dad included, half of the wedding party up front were carrying. :)

Post-ceremony the bride and I changed into our regular clothes for the cook out afterward (also at my place) and as is normal, I OC'ed and gladly looked at the opportunity to introduce the concept of OC to some in attendance who don't regularly carry. This was nothing abnormal for me since I OC probably 90% of the time I carry. Most everyone in attendance was already gun-friendly, so I only got one goofy remark from an aunt who just doesn't get it, but I told her it's part of my everyday outfit, so I'm not doing anything special.

Anyway last week was a good and memorable one and I just thought I'd share a bit of it with y'all. :) Our photographer thought it humorous that both of us were carrying so we moved over to a private area of the yard and we posed for the picture below. Not quite typical OC, but it was handled safely and just for memory's sake.

richarcm

imported post

Congratulations! Or as some people like to say....what the heck were you thinking?!?! :dude:

Harper1227

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
This past Saturday my best friend and I got married after many years of courtship. Some of y'all have met my lovely bride so you know who I'm talking about. Anyway, overall the week was a good one not only because of the wedding, but for spreading a little OC love to southwest VA.

<snip> Thursday night took me down to Roanoke to pick up my suit at Men's Wearhouse. I'd gone down there a week or so earlier to get an outfit for the wedding and not only did the gentleman who took care of me have no problem at all with my gun, he made sure the suit jacket would be tailored to fit around it (at my request) and pushed up the alterations return date so that I could have my suit in time for the wedding. Upon arrival back at Men's Wearhouse just before close on Thursday the two gentlemen in the store took good care of me and we had a good conversation about all being gun toters and the importance it is to our own safety.

<snip>
definite congrats on the wedding!! Bananas all around! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

also, Same experience at MW in woodbridge when hubby had to get his tux for a buddys wedding. they were great about fitting it around his holster.

whats that wifey has there? does she oc too? you know, when she's not in a wedding dress. man, i need a dress that has pockets for my gun!!

congrats again!!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Harper, wifey has a little Jennings .22 given to her ages ago by her father. She doesn't carry the thing since it can be unreliable except with one or two particular brands of ammo, but it fit in her dress pocket and filled the role for a small gun to carry in the wedding dress. As far as OC, she does OC out maybe once or twice a week, but generally CC's because she never remembers to wear a belt to hold it. She's getting comfortable with it, so I'm happy. :)

riverrat10k

imported post

Congratulations to you both!

Ya' know, in more formal times, everyone dressed for dinner. Sword and/or sidearm were considered part of the formal "uniform", especiallyfor past or present service members.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Congrats to you both, JM. You're a lucky man... A lovely wife that OC's! She is quite a catch! Don't let that one get away, Brother.

My spousal unit of 21 years tolerates my carrying, but went ballistic when I got my 18 year old daughter a Glock 21SFand a SERPA for her 18th birthday. She really had a meltdown when she started OCing.

She doesn't complain anymore, but she still ain't a happy camper... :?

zoom6zoom

imported post

Congrats!
I offered to loan a friend of mine one of my vintage S&W wheelguns to carry at her wedding. It would have covered her for "something borrowed, something blued, somthing old (and the ammo's new)."