• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained for OC and GATTTOP

suntzu

imported post

partemisio wrote:
There is nobody that can memorize every law, period. Like I have mentioned, he did what he should have done, called to verify. If there is something that might be illegal going on you can be detained until proven otherwise(notice I said detained and not arrested). So, since it was a legal stop and detainment, it was a legal search. He proved that it was not in fact illegal to open carry by making a phone call, and then he let them go. And all that is needed for a stop and frisk is "reasonable suspicion." That means you don't need to know for a fact that something is wrong.
I'm sorry--where was the legality for the stop again? OC is legal--therefore possession of a handgun is not a justification to conduct a stop or seizure. What justified the stop?

The stop was illegal, the detainment was illegal, the search was illegal, and their claiming ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

suntzu

imported post

partemisio wrote:
suntzu wrote:
file a complaint against the officers. They are supposed to know the laws and if they don't, then they don't need to be police officers.

O 1 said he actually supports what you are doing? Then why did he treat you like an enemy of the state?

He no more supports what you are doing than a tree does--if he did he would know it is legal to OC and he would not have treated you or those with you the way he did. My advice is to file a complaint with the department against both officers.

And it would not matter to me if he worked 10yrs as a police officer or 1--if he has taken the job of a police officer--he should be aware that OC is legal, and he should be aware of the laws--he just wanted to try and prove a point about who was in control.

O 1 told you he was "in Iraq supporting your right to carry" in order to try and make you feel sorry for him and hoping you won't file a complaint against him, because he realized he was in the wrong for the way he treated, or should I say mistreated you--otherwise he would not have brought "spending a year in Iraq supporting your rights" up...So he spent a year in Iraq "defending your rights" only to return to the US and step on them? O1 knows he is in the wrong and is trying to make you feel sorry for him. My advice is to file a complaint and waste no time in doing it--and your witnesses can help with that.
File a complaint because he didn't know a law? That is stupid. The complaint won't do anything for one reason. How are you going to remember every law on the books for NC? You're not, period. He did the right thing by calling his Sgt. to check before arresting. If he had not than you might be able to get somewhere with a complaint.

Maybe because he can't get back to his normal way of life. Do you know how some people that go to war react when they get back to this country? I have many friends and family in the military. One (brother in-law) has changed since he got back from his deployment in the way that he is used to how things work over there. Many people that fight for us are like this when they get back and it is hard, even requires medical attention sometimes, to get back to the way things are over here.

As I said, filing a complaint won't do anything and will be a waste of time. You need to realize just how many laws there are. I know you think that he should know this law, and there are other people that feel the same way about different laws. Who says what ones he should really try to memorize, he can't please everybody?
Stupid? Stupid to expect those who work as police to KNOW the laws instead of making them up as they see fit?

The complaint will serve a necessary purpose--it will get the incident on paper and hopefully into their jacket of the officers involved and maybe even lead to their termination from LE, which is what needs to happen.

It makes no difference to me if he served in Iraq or Podunk--if he is unfit for police work because of Iraq--he needs to get out of police work then.

There is no such thing as a waste of time when it comes to filing a complaint against the police--it is necessary to make the point that we just don't have to stand by and accept mistreatment just because they say we do.

The complaint will move because (1) the stop was illegal (2) they admitted the stop was illegal (3) intentionally targeting a perfectly legal activity with the intent to deprive you of Constitutionally protected rights under the color of law is a crime--and it should hold up not because of the violation of the 2nd Amendment, but because of the violation of the 4th Amendment--which is well recognized as being incorporated to the states through the due process clause of the 14th Amendment.

No legitimate complaint is a waste of time--and I would even go so far as to file one with the FBI for the illegal detainment and violation of the 4th Amendment.

ijusam

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
He asked that we call (a number that he gave me) before we have our meetings, so that the officers assigned to the patrol of the area know and can respond accordingly, if needed.

Please call that number and let them know before you vote, attend (or not attend) religious meetings, any speech or discussion, ect. perhaps they will see how ridiculous that is:D

ijusam

imported post

20 calls a day from various people saying
" umm, I'm at dunkin dounuts and I'm walking to the piggly wigglie on 14th street, bye..."

"umm... I'm at the PW and I'm walking to ____ bank on 29th street"

maybe they would get the message ;)

fully_armed_biker

imported post

partemisio wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
partemisio wrote:
suntzu wrote:
file a complaint against the officers. They are supposed to know the laws and if they don't, then they don't need to be police officers.

O 1 said he actually supports what you are doing? Then why did he treat you like an enemy of the state?

He no more supports what you are doing than a tree does--if he did he would know it is legal to OC and he would not have treated you or those with you the way he did. My advice is to file a complaint with the department against both officers.

And it would not matter to me if he worked 10yrs as a police officer or 1--if he has taken the job of a police officer--he should be aware that OC is legal, and he should be aware of the laws--he just wanted to try and prove a point about who was in control.

O 1 told you he was "in Iraq supporting your right to carry" in order to try and make you feel sorry for him and hoping you won't file a complaint against him, because he realized he was in the wrong for the way he treated, or should I say mistreated you--otherwise he would not have brought "spending a year in Iraq supporting your rights" up...So he spent a year in Iraq "defending your rights" only to return to the US and step on them? O1 knows he is in the wrong and is trying to make you feel sorry for him. My advice is to file a complaint and waste no time in doing it--and your witnesses can help with that.
File a complaint because he didn't know a law? That is stupid. The complaint won't do anything for one reason. How are you going to remember every law on the books for NC? You're not, period. He did the right thing by calling his Sgt. to check before arresting. If he had not than you might be able to get somewhere with a complaint.

Maybe because he can't get back to his normal way of life. Do you know how some people that go to war react when they get back to this country? I have many friends and family in the military. One (brother in-law) has changed since he got back from his deployment in the way that he is used to how things work over there. Many people that fight for us are like this when they get back and it is hard, even requires medical attention sometimes, to get back to the way things are over here.

As I said, filing a complaint won't do anything and will be a waste of time. You need to realize just how many laws there are. I know you think that he should know this law, and there are other people that feel the same way about different laws. Who says what ones he should really try to memorize, he can't please everybody?

Sorry; but, HE IS SUPPOSED TO KNOW THE LAW, IT IS HIS JOB TO KNOW THE LAW!

Harlow vs Fitzgerald,457 U.S. 800. A government employee is required to know the law governing his/her conduct.

---"if the law is clearly established at the time the action occurred, a public employee is not entitled to assert the defense of qualified immunity based on good faith since a reasonably competent public official should know the law governing his or her conduct."

In other words...he can't say "I didn't know the law."

It was an illegal stop, an illegal search, and illegal detainment...plain and simple...and the cop should have known better.
There is nobody that can memorize every law, period. Like I have mentioned, he did what he should have done, called to verify. If there is something that might be illegal going on you can be detained until proven otherwise(notice I said detained and not arrested). So, since it was a legal stop and detainment, it was a legal search. He proved that it was not in fact illegal to open carry by making a phone call, and then he let them go. And all that is needed for a stop and frisk is "reasonable suspicion." That means you don't need to know for a fact that something is wrong.
Your definition of "reasonable" is MUCH different than mine...and the SCOTUS for that matter! The legal definition of probable cause is "A reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime...by that definition and that definition alone...the police better damn well know the law! ...the belief was not reasonable when 01 admits...

"O1: repeats this to his sergeant. Tells the Sg that he wants to verify what laws are being broken. Asks for Sg to text him any statute numbers. He asks me again what my title is. Talks to his Sg more, and says that I'm not bothering anyone, and he just wants to make sure I'm legal. O1 says he will get my info and they can charge me with something later if needed. This is where I stopped paying attention, and dealt with O2 again."

O1 being the officer that innitiated the stop. So, by your definition, and his...he can just randomly stop ANYONE and search them to make sure they aren't breaking any laws.

Dreamer

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
O1 being the officer that innitiated the stop. So, by your definition, and his...he can just randomly stop ANYONE and search them to make sure they aren't breaking any laws.
A stop for a firearms-related issue is not dependent on "Probable Cause", it may be initiated on "Reasonable Suspicion". The burden or proof for reasonable suspicion is MUCH lower than probably cause.

OC is still relatively rare. Most citizens don't even know it's legal in most states. LEO's should know if it's legal in their state, but just because something is legal doesn't mean it is always free of the appearance of being lawful.

Say for instance that I own an arcade. It's Saturday afternoon. Unbeknownst to me, the local college is hosting a computer programmers conference, and at 11:00 they let out for the day, and my arcade is suddenly beset upon by several dozen computer-gaming geeks with pockets full of singles. My change machine is runnign low, so I pull a few hundred out of the till and jog down to the bak on the corner, to get it changed into quarters. I then jog out of the bank with a big bank bag, just as a copis drivng by. Doe he hav "reasonable suspicion" that I may be up to no good? ou tell me. A guy runs out of a bank with a heavy bank bag and jogs down the street with a worried look on his face? What you you do, if you were driving the cruiser? Thsi would be a TOTALLY justifiable (although terribly annoying to the arcade owner) stop. It is legal? Yep. Were the arcade owners actions illegal? Not at all. Could his action in any way be perceived as somehow suspicious? Certainly, to an uninformed outside observer.

If someone calls in a MWAG, or a LEO sees you walking down the street OC, you can bet that 99.999% of the time there is GOING to be official interaction of some sort. It all depends on the officer's personal beliefs, your appearance and demeanor, the location (neighborhood) where he became aware of your firearm, and whether you alone or with other people as to how such interactions will proceed.

I would like to see a scientific study on how many criminals are actually apprehended through such stops. I would venture a guess that nation-wide, in total, it's somewhere in the low double digits annually. Here in NC, I would be surprised if such stops resulted in more than a half-dozen legal apprehensions of real criminals in a year...

Stopping OCers serves only one REAL function--to intimidate OC activists and attempt to re-establish "power-over" on the part of LE. It does not serve to actually catch criminals, nor does it serve to deter any sort of criminal behavior. In fact, such action ONLY serves to take valuable LE resources away from doing their REAL job, which is investigating REAL crimes and apprehending REAL BGs...

The issue of OCers being stopped, searched, detained, and treated rudely is something we need to work on as an integral part of our OC activism. In states where OC is legal, and there is statutory and case law support for it, we need to take every opportunity to educate our local LEO's AND our local citizens. Filing a formal complaints when we are harassed is a good place to start.

Memorizing specific statutes and case law rulings is a good idea too. If you can counter the threat of a bogus charge by citing statutes and case law off the top of your head, the offending LEO will know right away that you have done your research, and are, at least, knowledgeable, and at best, a VERY well-versed activist who may have "connections". He will know right away that you aren't someone he can push around and threaten with bogus charges and threats of prosecution. It's a game of authority and control. When they know that YOU know that they don't hold a position of legal authority or superior knowledge of the law over you, they will most likely back down.

Throwing out the names of other local LEOs who you know are sympathetic to the cause can also be helpful. I have spoken with our local Asst. Chief of Police, and he has informed me that OC and CC are both perfectly legal on city property in this town I have this recorded and on my iPhone. If I'm ever stopped, I intend to inform the officer that "Major Sxxxx Bxxxxxxx informed me that there are no city ordinances prohibiting the carrying of a firearm in Washington, and the State of North Carolina allows OC as well." If they persist or try and threaten me with a GATTTOTP charge, I have memorized the exact wording of the GATTTOTP statute, AND the final ruling from "State of NC vs. Huntly" which states that "it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no offense. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun." AND I have these texts both on my iPhone, and on pocket cards...

Information is power. And many of these LEO's making these stops are just trying to re-establish "power over" with a person they perceive as stepping outside of their preconceived Cop/Citizen/BG power structure. If we can demonstrate that we KNOW our rights, we KNOW the law, and we KNOW the limitations and contraints under which THEY should be acting, we will go a long way to changing this attitude among the LE community. They CAN and the WILL make things difficult for us, because we are challenging their "power over" position. LE believes that they have the right to a "monopoly of force", and a BIG part of the agenda of the OC movement should be to dispell that belief, and re-establish in the mind of th public--including our "public servants"--that ALL citizens have the BASIC HUMAN RIGHT to self-defense, and that carrying the tools of that activity pose no threat to LEO's, our communities, or other law-abiding people.

I am fortunate enough to live in a state that has a "right to keep and bear arms" clause in it's State Constitution. So when it comes to 2A issues, I've technically got a double protection and guaranty of this right. Case law and statutory law is also relatively clear, with the exception of the GATTTOTP statute (which is an old law based in racist and classist rulings derived from 17th century English Common Law). And if you know the REAL wording, meaning, and application of this statute, it is a statute that is simply and absolutely NOT applicable in the case of walking peacefully down the street with a gun in a holster. It's a four-pint statute, and for a charge to stand, the prosecution must establish that you were guilty of all four points. Walking in public peaceably with a holstered firearm does not meet that burden of proof. And "State vs Huntly" further clarifies and strengthens this interpretation, and supports the right to legally OC in NC.

All that said, please be informed that IANAL. ;)

I suggest you seek professional legal advice if you wish to pursue this to the point of filing an action against your local LE department.

KBCraig

imported post

partemisio wrote:
File a complaint because he didn't know a law? That is stupid.

No: file a complaint because of what he "knew" (and tried to enforce) that wasn't so.

If an officer takes positive action against something without knowing the statute, he's essentially making up his own laws. That is unacceptable.

NCjones

imported post

I wouldn't expect a cop to "know every law". But if he is going to stop you and accuse you of breaking a law, he should already know which law is being broken.
The excuse that "you are breaking the law, but I don't know which law your breaking" is not only totally stupid, but is illogical. One has to know the law before one can assume it's being broken.

This is why we have a constitution and rights. It was decided a few hundred years ago that the govt ( a cop) couldn't just stop you and go on a fishing expedition trying to find out (or decide) if there was some law you might have broken. If this was the case I could just stop everyone in the projects and pat them all down until I found one that was selling dope, then arrest him.

As for the "you have a gun , therefore you must be guilty of something" attitude is BS also. "Reasonable suspicion" involves more than just thinking this way. The officer has to have a reasonable belief that you have committed a crime. If you were running out of the business with gun in hand that might be reasonable suspicion. Simply OC'ing isn't reasonably suspicious according to State V. Huntly.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
...just as two RPD were about to enter the establishment two doors down. I gave them a nod with a smile, as is customary for me when someone looks at me. One of them saw my(Me) firearm and approached me (O1), with "keep your hands up and where I can see them", and the other officer (O2)quickly followed.

O1: Keep your hands up. Keep them where I can see them. Do you have a badge to go with that gun?

Me: No

O1: federal credentials?

Me: NO

O1: Turn and place your hands on the wall.

O1: What do you think you are doing carrying a gun on H' street?

Excellent account, Jdriver1.8t. And you handled it quite well.

The coppers made a bad mistake and I tihnk they understood that after it was all over.

File complaint or no, there is some heartening positive effect due to this incident. But, of course, more negative effect since OP's rights were violated.

I'm in the file a complaint camp on this one...

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Does this sum up the areas of violation, and reference cases well enough?

Harlow vs Fitzgerald,457 U.S. 800. A government employee is required to know the law governing his/her conduct.
---"if the law is clearly established at the time the action occurred, a public employee is not entitled to assert the defense of qualified immunity based on good faith since a reasonably competent public official should know the law governing his or her conduct."

State v Huntley the court clearly states that the mere possesion of a holstered weapon does not constitute GATTTOTP.
"it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no (p.423)offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun." -- State V. Huntley

Similar, but not directly the same: McColley vs Alamogordo Police Dept. Man removed from a theatre for possession of a firearm(legal in New Mexico)briely detained outside then released. Large settlement against the dept. and the officers were not given immunity and he is in the process of suing them individually.

Terry vs Ohio:
Our evaluation of the proper balance that has to be struck in this type of case leads us to conclude that there must be a narrowly drawn authority to permit a reasonable search for weapons for the protection of the police officer, where he has reason to believe that he is dealing with an armed and dangerous individual, regardless of whether he has probable cause to arrest the individual for a crime. The officer need not be absolutely certain that the individual is armed; the issue is whether a reasonably prudent man in the circumstances would be warranted in the belief that his safety or that of others was in danger. Cf. Beck v. Ohio, 379 U.S. 89, 91 (1964); Brinegar v. United States, 338 U.S. 160, 174 -176 (1949); Stacey v. Emery, 97 U.S. 642, 645 (1878). 23 And in determining whether the officer acted reasonably in such circumstances, due weight must be given, not to his inchoate and unparticularized suspicion or "hunch," but to the specific reasonable inferences which he is entitled to draw from the facts in light of his experience. Cf. Brinegar v. United States supra.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...ol=392&invol=1

Florida vs. JL:
Held : An anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not, without more, sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...&invol=98-1993

mekender

imported post

McColley vs Alamogordo Police Dept is irrelevant because the decision does not apply outside of NM

glock30

imported post

mekender wrote:
McColley vs Alamogordo Police Dept is irrelevant because the decision does not apply outside of NM
But doesn't it set a persuasive precedent?

USNRCorpsman

imported post

glock30 wrote:
mekender wrote:
But doesn't it set a persuasive precedent?
The only way that it would have any relevance at all is if the Supreme Court of the US had issued a ruling in the case.

codename_47

imported post

I'd sue the crap out of the cops for that. I think a court may find the NM case persuasive. This case is even worse, since you were open carrying AND there was no person that complained about it.

glock30

imported post

USNRCorpsman wrote:
The only way that it would have any relevance at all is if the Supreme Court of the US had issued a ruling in the case.

I don't follow

Persuasive precedent (also persuasive authority) is
precedent or other legal writing that is related to the case at hand but is not a binding precedent on the court under common law
legal systems such as English law. However, persuasive authority may guide the judge in making the decision in the instant case. Persuasive precedent may come from a number of sources such as lower courts, "horizontal" courts, foreign courts, statements made in dicta, treatises or law reviews. In Civil law and pluralist systems, as under Scots law, precedent is not binding but case law is taken into account by the courts.

CoonDog

imported post

I'm from out of state and don't know NC law, but I want to through out a few words to support the OP:

1) If an officer wishes to evoke ANY detention, he should know Terry, inside and out. If he does not, he has no business stopping anybody; actually, he has no business wearing a badge.

2) If an officer is going to stop you for any firearms law, he should know firearms law, especially GATTTOP, since this sounds like a common charge.

3) If an officer does NOT know firearms law, inside and out, then he should not HIMSELF be carrying a gun. I'll even go one further: another poster used the term "stupid"; rather, I would argue it's "stupid" for the department to authorize the officer to carry until he can demonstrate his mastery of firearms law.

4) A formal complaint is the only way to ensure this gets taken seriously. Even if it's an internal slap on the wrist, it's on the officer's record. If it doesn't give him pause and think twice before a similar detainment, then he'll quickly have develop pattern of these offenses which can be used to petition for his removal from the force.

5) Perhaps using military police actions as training for civilian law enforcement isn't such a good idea. The actions of our personnel in Iraq only vaguely resembles how we want our PD to conduct their business.

suntzu

imported post

To the OP. Could you elaborate as to the outcome of this event--did you decide to file a formal complaint because of the way you were treated and being unreasonably detained/searched, or did you just decide to let it go and accept the statement of the police supervisor that he would deal with his officers, and inform them about OC?

4sooth

imported post

What I find interesting about the New Mexico decision is that particular court found that a 30 year old decision relative to OC was sufficient forewarning to the officers of the legality of OC in New Mexico.

It is also of note that the New Mexico stop was not nearly so intrusive as this one!

JDriver1.8t

imported post

suntzu wrote:
To the OP. Could you elaborate as to the outcome of this event--did you decide to file a formal complaint because of the way you were treated and being unreasonably detained/searched, or did you just decide to let it go and accept the statement of the police supervisor that he would deal with his officers, and inform them about OC?

For the time being it has been let go by me, but the other involved will most likely be taking it farther, and I will be witness to his accounts. I may become a second complaintant if needed.