• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in winter

sharpshooter79

imported post

Howdy Folks,
Since we have had our first snow and it is still cold here in Sheridan, I was wondering if it would be considered concealed carry without a permit if you wear your gun on your belt but since it's cold you would have to wear your coat over it? I have a feeling what the local cops here in Sheridan would say about it since they seem to think that we don't have a right to open carry. But would it be considered concealed according to state law? Thanks!

the rifleman

imported post

Short answer- yes, it would be considered "concealed." Solution- if you have your concealed license, you're fine. Solution #2- carry a rifle. Still, this just goes to show how assinine gun laws can be when they're made by people who have no idea what they're talking about (like most of our laws actually). When I carry concealed in Texas, I have to be extremely careful not to let it show, and when I carry open in Wyoming, I have to be careful not to conceal it.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

sharpshooter79 wrote:
Howdy Folks,
Since we have had our first snow and it is still cold here in Sheridan, I was wondering if it would be considered concealed carry without a permit if you wear your gun on your belt but since it's cold you would have to wear your coat over it? I have a feeling what the local cops here in Sheridan would say about it since they seem to think that we don't have a right to open carry. But would it be considered concealed according to state law? Thanks!
I tried on my De Santis leather holster with a sweater and jacket on and they both tuck comfortably behind my holster to keep it in plain view.