• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greenfield to Review Gun Restrictions

ROOK_WI

imported post

Greenfield panel to review gun restrictions
By Tom Kertscher of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Oct. 12, 2009

Greenfield — The Common Council's Legislative Committee will review next Monday recent changes made to city ordinances that restrict the carrying of firearms.

The review came at the request last week of gun rights activists who fear that Greenfield might be compromising the constitutional rights of people who carry guns.

Greenfield has adopted state restrictions on carrying firearms, such as the ban on carrying guns within 1,000 feet of a school, and has enabled police to write tickets for those violations if no criminal charges are filed.

Greenfield has also banned the open carry of guns in parks.

Original link: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/64032572.html

***I am waiting to hear if the meeting is truly ON, or if things will be postponed until next meeting, there is no posted agenda yet for the Legislative Committee meeting.

AaronS

imported post

The part I still do not understand is "... and has enabled police to write tickets for those violations if no criminal charges are filed.".

So, if no charges are filed, how can I get any fine? With out any charge, how can I be guilty of any crime? With out any crime, why would I pay any fine?

I am sorry if I am missing this all, but I just do not understand it...

ROOK_WI

imported post

If the state decides not to press charges - lets say they drop a concealed carry charge due to a plea bargain you struck with all the dope you had -Greenfield will charge you with concealed carry to get the money that the state has decided it does not want.

ROOK_WI

imported post

The meeting for October 19th has been POSTPONED, verified by email & personal phone call.

The next scheduled meeting is November 16th.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS PLEASE.