• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting on Fighting Illegal Gun Purchases

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Meeting on Fighting Illegal Gun Purchases

By Jay Olstad

MILWAUKEE - Getting illegal guns off the streets is the focus of a special meeting this morning with city officials.
This meeting, scheduled for Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. at City Hall, comes on the heels of a high profile shooting where a gun used to shoot a Milwaukee Police officer was traced back to Badger Gun, a shop on the 2300 block of South 43rd Street in Milwaukee.
The officer is recovering from the shooting which happened a few weeks ago.
Investigators found that someone bought a firearm at Badger Gun for a felon, a process known as a straw purchase.
That felon shot the police officer.
It's not the first time something like that has happened over at Badger Gun.
While its owner says he's done nothing illegal, officials with the City of Milwaukee say those types of practices have to go.
They say stronger laws need to be passed.
They're holding a special meeting Wednesday to discuss how to make legislation stronger and the impact of illegal guns on Milwaukee's streets.
Police Chief Edward Flynn will make a presentation, and local gun dealers are invited, along with the public.

Mr.arker

imported post

Well so far, they've discussed : repeal of state preemption so they can pass laws that are more restrictive in Milwaukee(or any other jurisdiction), doubling taxes on firearms and ammunition, id need to be shown and records kept on ammunition purchases,"rigid" ccw permitting process(even that will get knocked down, I'll bet.)
CCW charges will be felonies, felony if you don't report lost or stolen firearms,felony charges for straw purchases, police notified of transfers of firearms, no felons within 1000' of gun stores.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mr. parker wrote:
Well so far, they've discussed : repeal of state preemption so they can pass laws that are more restrictive in Milwaukee(or any other jurisdiction), doubling taxes on firearms and ammunition, id need to be shown and records kept on ammunition purchases,"rigid" ccw permitting process(even that will get knocked down, I'll bet.)
CCW charges will be felonies, felony if you don't report lost or stolen firearms,felony charges for straw purchases, police notified of transfers of firearms, no felons within 1000' of gun stores.

None of these will prevent illegal gun purchases. Why do they continue to think that criminals even give a sh!t about the law?

Milwaukee can try to do what they want. There are no gun stores in the city of Milwaukee. Badger is in West Milwaukee and Shooters is in West Allis.

The city clerks office informed both Badger and Shooters of this meeting and was rather surprised to find out that both stores were not even in their city.

Mr.arker

imported post

I agree with you, they won't help a bit. The most surprising thing to me was that Badger Guns owner agreed with everything Flynn had to say, except for the increased taxes. His own words!

The only good news is that DA Chisholm said that because of Wisconsin's unified court system, they'd be unlikely to repeal the state preemption law. That prevents Wisconsin from turning into New York with a hodge podge of laws that change every time you turn around to take a piss.

They didn't mention anything about open carry that I heard.

Russf

imported post

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

opusd2

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
And our CCW traitor-fan-boyz here will eagerly expand the power of the statists...

ETA afterthought; ...and their pocketbooks.

Well, I'm pro-Open and pro-CCW. Truth be told I'd much rather carry open, but if CCW is the only option then so be it. It worked for me out west, rather well. But then again Wyoming didn't seem to want to screw it's citizens like WI does. And without lube, of all the rude things to do...

But I believe a right is a right. And we have the right to carry open as citizens with the right to self defense, and we have the right to do so without monetary regulation which seems to be the only reason to regulate lately.

And I'm not a traitor. My friends and neighbors know clearly what I stand for no matter what the popular newspaper/media driven beliefs are. I don't take that statement personally, I am just stating my position. CCW does have it's place, and that's where a holster just clashes with what you're wearing, however I can't promote CCW wearing only a Speedo...

Hillmann

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I CCW'd for years and tens of thousands of miles on a bicycle wearing only a bit more than Speedos. In SC CCW is the only legal public carry.
Trying hard not to make joke about compensating for size and speedoo.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

opusd2 wrote:
however I can't promote CCW wearing only a Speedo...

Exactly, that is why I always wear red leather cowboy boots when I am wearing a speedo and a holster!!

I am totally against any CCW legislation as Flynn wants it. We should not need to pay money to exercise a protected right!
If they do try to outlaw open-carry, I see it conflicting with the hunting in this state.

Would hunters actually be told they need to pay for mandatory training, and apply for the states permission slip to hunt with a firearm that they carry on a sling?
Would they expect handgun hunters to keep their firearms concealed while hunting (we wouldn't want to offend the furry forest creatures with the sight of our guns on our sidenow, would we?)

Since coyote shooting is open almost the entire year (except deer season north of Hwy 10) I would continue to open carry and if stopped I would just state that I am hunting! But that would still require paying to open-carry because I would need to have a valid small-game license.

Does anyoneknow any government contacts in Vermont or Alaska, I think we need to start pushing VT/AK carry harder & harder, press our legislators to get these gun laws straightened out and make them realize the entire state cannot be based on the criminal behavior in Milwaukee, Madison and its surrounding areas. The same scenario has plagued the people of Illinois that live outside of Chicago. I think Milwaukee & Chicago should become the 51st state. That way their influences can be kept separate from the millions outside of that area. (sorry for comparing MKE to CHI, but they both seem to make decisions for the rest of their respective states, and it is wrong)

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Would hunters actually be told they need to pay for mandatory training, and apply for the states permission slip to hunt with a firearm that they carry on a sling?
Already except for grandfathers, hunter training?
Most states require it, even Vermont and Alaska. With the WI fee only being $10, nobody is getting rich off of the program..... Although it was debated and supported to be included at the time, hunting never made it into the 2nd Amendment. That $10 training also qualifies for the training requirement in order to get a Florida non resident CCW permit.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
opusd2 wrote:
however I can't promote CCW wearing only a Speedo...

Exactly, that is why I always wear red leather cowboy boots when I am wearing a speedo and a holster!!

I am totally against any CCW legislation as Flynn wants it. We should not need to pay money to exercise a protected right!
If they do try to outlaw open-carry, I see it conflicting with the hunting in this state.

Would they expect handgun hunters to keep their firearms concealed while hunting (we wouldn't want to offend the furry forest creatures with the sight of our guns on our sidenow, would we?)

Since coyote shooting is open almost the entire year (except deer season north of Hwy 10) I would continue to open carry and if stopped I would just state that I am hunting! But that would still require paying to open-carry because I would need to have a valid small-game license.

Does anyoneknow any government contacts in Vermont or Alaska, I think we need to start pushing VT/AK carry harder & harder, press our legislators to get these gun laws straightened out and make them realize the entire state cannot be based on the criminal behavior in Milwaukee, Madison and its surrounding areas. The same scenario has plagued the people of Illinois that live outside of Chicago. I think Milwaukee & Chicago should become the 51st state. That way their influences can be kept separate from the millions outside of that area. (sorry for comparing MKE to CHI, but they both seem to make decisions for the rest of their respective states, and it is wrong)
AGREED, but I don't think we will ever get this, but it would be nice.

Hillmann

imported post

Glock34 wrote:

Why not? There are only three laws in our way and two of them would be able to be fought on constutional grounds if the second is incroperated to the states (Schoolzones & the NR code that dosen't allow uncased or loaded guns in cars). Then it is just the ban on conealed dangerous weapons.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

Why not? There are only three laws in our way and two of them would be able to be fought on constutional grounds if the second is incroperated to the states (Schoolzones & the NR code that dosen't allow uncased or loaded guns in cars). Then it is just the ban on conealed dangerous weapons.
this would be a long hard fought battle, first we have to get rid of the liberal democrats in the state that are against these, in the senate & the house, then we could talk.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Most states require it, even Vermont and Alaska. With the WI fee only being $10, nobody is getting rich off of the program.....
"Dad, everybody else is doing it and it only costs $10!" Being a cheap follower is not a principle.

Where have I heard this before? Yep, even Dr. Daughter, D.Pharm tried it but only a few times.

Hillmann

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
this would be a long hard fought battle, first we have to get rid of the liberal democrats in the state that are against these, in the senate & the house, then we could talk.
I think that will be happening soon.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Most states require it, even Vermont and Alaska. With the WI fee only being $10, nobody is getting rich off of the program.....
"Dad, everybody else is doing it and it only costs $10!" Being a cheap follower is not a principle.
For those of us who actually hunt and see the unsafe things many older hunters do, we support a mandatory Hunters' Safety program 100%. Nothing wrong with starting the kids out on the right foot with a standardized safety program. This stuff is obviously not intuitive or else people would not be doing such stupid things. Land owners neither need hunters safety nor even a license to hunt many game animals.