• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting on Fighting Illegal Gun Purchases

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Most states require it, even Vermont and Alaska. With the WI fee only being $10, nobody is getting rich off of the program.....
"Dad, everybody else is doing it and it only costs $10!" Being a cheap follower is not a principle.
For those of us who actually hunt and see the unsafe things many older hunters do, we support a mandatory Hunters' Safety program 100%. Nothing wrong with starting the kids out on the right foot with a standardized safety program. This stuff is obviously not intuitive or else people would not be doing such stupid things. Land owners neither need hunters safety nor even a license to hunt many game animals.
It is bad enough the Department of Never ending Regulation has taken over our state as it is. There should not be any mandatory training required to exercise your RKBA....EVER! No fees....EVER! No registration.....EVER! No permits.....EVER!
Anytime any of these are put in place as law, our RKBA then becomes a privilege that can be taken away. No Compromise...EVER!

VT and AK did it and so can we. Stand Strong!

Carry On!
Molon Labe!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Most states require it, even Vermont and Alaska. With the WI fee only being $10, nobody is getting rich off of the program.....
"Dad, everybody else is doing it and it only costs $10!" Being a cheap follower is not a principle.
For those of us who actually hunt and see the unsafe things many older hunters do, we support a mandatory Hunters' Safety program 100%. Nothing wrong with starting the kids out on the right foot with a standardized safety program. This stuff is obviously not intuitive or else people would not be doing such stupid things. Land owners neither need hunters safety nor even a license to hunt many game animals.

Where did you hear that? A cite would be nice to see if it is true.
I know there is a landowner preference for certain game permits, but purchasing licensing and tagging still apply. Or are you speaking of the BS in CWD zones?

I am not a grandfather, or near that age. (at least I don't think so) and I was not required to take a hunters safety course. Although I did enroll in one at age 17, but it was just to get a free small-game license for that year. And the place that hosted (private club) had an excellent outdoor archery range that we got to use before class.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Where did you hear that? A cite would be nice to see if it is true.
I know there is a landowner preference for certain game permits, but purchasing licensing and tagging still apply. Or are you speaking of the BS in CWD zones?

Not only is it in the code, but it is in the abridged version that the DNR hands out with the small game licenses. Sometimes RTFM applies here..... :D Those of us sphincter deep in this stuff should be familiarizing ourselves with such code/statutes. The "rule" book is not near sufficient.

Here is but a snippet...

[align=left]
The owner or occupant of any land and members of their[/align]

[align=left]family* may,
without a license and subject to all other restrictions except seasons,[/align]

[align=left]hunt or trap on their own property for beaver, fox, coyote, raccoon, woodchuck, rab
bit,[/align]
and squirrel year-round;

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/regs/SGHunt09.pdf

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Controlling destructive nuisance animals is what that is, it is not hunting IMO.

When was the last time a squirrel caused destruction on your property?When most people think of small game, they think of rabbit and squirrel....

Not all of us get every piece of meat we eat from the grocery store or McDonalds....:cool:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Most land owners are aware that under the Department of Never ending Regulations rules, they can hunt small game on their own property with out a small game license.

That does not include Pheasant hunting, Goose hunting and Deer hunting or any other hunting which requires a tag or stamp that must be purchased.

Usually means Squirrel, Rabbit, Fox, Coyote, Cats, dogs, wardens...just kidding about those last three.

Nutczak

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Controlling destructive nuisance animals is what that is, it is not hunting IMO.

When was the last time a squirrel caused destruction on your property?When most people think of small game, they think of rabbit and squirrel....

Not all of us get every piece of meat we eat from the grocery store or McDonalds....:cool:

Wow, seriously??
I have squirrels tearing stuff apart every friggin day! where do I start? chewing through the soffit & fascia, tearing apart the seals on the garage door, eating the fuel line and wiring on vehicles. Tearing up the lawn, digging out flower bulbs. Besides the little fluffy grey squirrels people think are so cute, we those little red bastards that are nothing but a nuisance, and there isn't enough meat on them to bother cleaning and cooking. And if you dokill enough for more than a paltry meal, they taste like pine sap.

Lets name off why the animals you listed are considered nuisance animals:
beaver, they flood property and destroy trees
fox, they kill small pets and livestock such as chickens same as the coyote, & raccoon,
also raccoons are well known for tearing apart houses to find homes for birthing their young raccoons, woodchucks will undermine foundations and retaining walls,rabbits spread fleas and ticks, plus they dig holes that can break an animals leg, and the eat the bark off of young trees

McDonalds and grocery stores? Wow! put down the bong, and back away from the table. Here is my grocery store and the only version of "Fast Food" I eat (known to most as "Speed Beef")
cid002f01c63d7c70c58630la9.jpg

Nutczak

imported post

That picture is not my yard, I have a few neighbors that put out corn for those parasites, and it drives me nuts. Sorry for the off-topic, but if the state coulddo anything to make me happy, it would be the outlawing of baiting and feeding of deer again with huge fines if caught, and a tip-line with rewards for turning in people that choose to bait & feed.

SAK

imported post

You've taken the "if only there were a law..." to the extreme here with "if only there were a law plus a snitch line to turn in your fellow citizen."

I know doing stupid things like attracting 1,000 deer is annoying. The only animals I feed are birds myself. But I don't see this as being a crime deserving of fines or tell-big-brother-on-you phone lines.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nuisance or not, grey squirrel and rabbit are both decent eats when you can get enough of them. We used to eat coon on occasion also. Redsquirrels,yotesand woodchucks were just for target practice.My uncle went after fox and coons for their pelts until they got some disease.

The extended doe slaughter has succeeded in trimming down the deer herd by us. Too much so. It looks like that picture was from January 2002. I am willing to bet that things have thinned out considerably since then. You should be thankful if herds of young ones like that are still the norm by you.It doesn't look like any of the deer in that picture goes much over 100 lbs. I haven't personally seen groups like that in over 20 years, not that I am out shining every night. Lakewood isn't that far from Spruce, but we have alot of people taking land and putting new houses up and less farmers with corn than years ago. When we were kids, we were hunting small game years before we could legally hunt deer. By the time we could hunt deer, shooting a deer sized animal wasn't much of a challenge. If hunting was only about harvesting game to me, I would have grown bored of it a long time ago. I don't feel bad about letting deer go in anticipation of a larger one coming through later in the day or another day. I feed year around. I enjoy watching them grow in the summer and enjoy sitting in my stand in November and taking a couple for the freezer.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
. It is bad enough the Department of Never ending Regulation has taken over our state as it is. There should not be any mandatory training required to exercise your RKBA....EVER! No fees....EVER! No registration.....EVER! No permits.....EVER!
Anytime any of these are put in place as law, our RKBA then becomes a privilege that can be taken away. No Compromise...EVER!

Carry On!
Molon Labe!
Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, hunting never made it into the 2nd Amendment. Hunting regulations have nothing to do with RKBA and there is no defense against them based on the CONUS. No compromise EVAR!!!! is easier said than done as a practical matter. There is a difference between a beneficial compromise and foolishly accepting infringements with no gain.

SAK

imported post

Hunting needn't be in the 2nd Amendment, and to say that something is NOT protected by one of the amendments is to forget about the most important 9th Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The common-sense fact of the matter is that capturing and killing wild animals for food is a human right. Anyone who argues against that argues against nature itself.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

SAK wrote:
Hunting needn't be in the 2nd Amendment, and to say that something is NOT protected by one of the amendments is to forget about the most important 9th Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The common-sense fact of the matter is that capturing and killing wild animals for food is a human right. Anyone who argues against that argues against nature itself.

Slow down there hard charger.....:dude:

The post replied to was defending RKBA.... Molon Lave and all that jazz......

You are forgetting about the 10th Amendment. Powers reserved by the States. The DNR is part of the State government. Since there is nothing in the Constitution prohibiting the States from regulating hunting, they can do so without infringement of State rights.

The common sense of the matter is that when left unregulated, Americans have hunted game species to extinction or near total eradication. The DNR is a necessary evil. Too bad it has digressed to be less than ideal. Nature says animals kill each other for pure pleasure. Animals forcefully have sex with other animals. Animals take food from other animals. Apha males eat infant animals. We are above "nature" when it refers to "natural" instincts. Since we are no longer nomadic, our primary food source does not come from hunting and gathering. Theresimply is no "natural" right to hunt. This is not to say that someone who is starving should be prosecuted for taking food to survive. Fortunately this is rarely the case in modern America.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
. It is bad enough the Department of Never ending Regulation has taken over our state as it is. There should not be any mandatory training required to exercise your RKBA....EVER! No fees....EVER! No registration.....EVER! No permits.....EVER!

Carry On!
Molon Labe!
Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, hunting never made it into the 2nd Amendment. Hunting regulations have nothing to do with RKBA and there is no defense against them based on the CONUS. No compromise EVAR!!!! is easier said than done as a practical matter. There is a difference between a beneficial compromise and foolishly accepting infringements with no gain.
Well if the DNR and Hunting have nothing to do with RKBA then why can't you carry a fire arm in the woods on the day before Deer Hunting? Think Again, it is all tied together. To think otherwise would be naive.

Like I said before go to VT and AK and tell them that there is no chance of a no compromise system. I bet they run you out of their state.

We have to start some where. Just because we do not have the answer on how to acquire this no compromise non permitted system doesn't mean it can't happen.

The truth is it can happen, it will just take a lot of effort from everyone and to be honest there are not that many here that are willing to give up their time for the effort. With that said we will have to gain the members of the other gun rights groups that are willing to put forth the effort to join in on the fight.

Until you can show me proof that this type of system is impossible in Wisconsin, I say we go ahead and fight for it with everything we have. We need to develop a plan and move forward as soon as possible and not just sit around talking about it.

We need to start a campaign against legislators and Anti's that will rock this state from all four corners and the middle. This movement needs to be like an 8.0 earthquake in order to get the attention we need.

That would mean people picketing all over the state. News paper ads that let the Legislators know that if the laws don't change the people in office will.

Get a solicitor's permit from your city government and go door to door and hand out OCDO pamphlets. (These pamphlets would have to be changed a bit to tell people to contact their legislators and state reps and demand these laws be repealed.) We need to all recruit new members here and make this organization grow state wide.

We have good people here that are very knowledgable in these laws and subjects (I.E., Doug, BrassMagnet, Lammie, Interceptor_Knight, Mike, JPierce and many others.) If we all work together and devise a plan of attack this could work.

We need to communicate with our brothers in VT and AK and find out what steps they took and go from there.

Let's do this and stop just talking about it.

Your either for this or your not.

Who is willing to fight for it?

Carry On!
Molon Labe!

Edit: I will post this in another thread as to not highjack this one.