• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

documents for concealed permit

led for breakfast

imported post

hello all

i already have the class certificate for the basic pistol training and the concealed weapon application for the state of Virginia

what Else do i need ?

i live in falls church va

thank you

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
hello all

i already have the class certificate for the basic pistol training and the concealed weapon application for the state of Virginia

what Else do i need ?

thank you
ID, payment and 45 days to wait :)

architect

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:

what Else do i need ?

Do you live in Falls Church City (zip 22046) or Fairfax County (zips 22041 through 22044)? I think the City uses the Arlington Circuit courts, but most people with FC addresses actually live in Fairfax County.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm has links to a step-by-step guide for jumping through Fairfax County's hoops. Here's an excerpt:

First Time Application:
In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:
• Two additional copies of the original completed application. • A self-addressed stamped envelope. • Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5). • Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction.
(see p. 4 and p.7).

The references point to specific information, do yourself a favor. get http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf and go through it closely.

Note that this appears to my untrained eye to be more than required by the statute (e.g. more than a single copy of anything, a SASE, etc.) Fighting their extra-legal requirements might be the noble thing to do, but will undoubtedly require more effort.

Also, don't forget to write "not disclosed, if any" instead of your Social Security number, and use a proof of residence that omits this (e.g. don't use a voter registration card).

Finally, don't carry into the Courthouse when you submit your application.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The City of Falls Church is an independent jurisdiction, and is not in Fairfax County (true of all cities in Virginia - as opposed to towns, which are within counties). Falls Church is in the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit, which includes Arlington County. The Circuit Court is physically located in Arlington.

Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax are in the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit. The Circuit Court is located in that part of Fairfax County which is entirely enclosed within the City of Fairfax, the "hole in the doughnut" as it were.

The last line on your mailing address is not part of your address, it's the address of the post office through which your mail is delivered. That has nothing to do with where you live. There are people in Fairfax County who get their mail through Alexandria, and vice-versa. So if your mailing address says, "Falls Church", it doesn't mean you live in the City of Falls Church, it means your mail comes through the Falls Church post office.

You have to know where the corporate limits of your jurisdiction are in order to determine where to file.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

architect wrote:
...The references point to specific information, do yourself a favor. get  http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf and go through it closely.

Note that this appears to my untrained eye to be more than required by the statute (e.g. more than a single copy of anything, a SASE, etc.) Fighting their extra-legal requirements might be the noble thing to do, but will undoubtedly require more effort.

It would definitely require more effort. Specifically, it would require the filing of a complaint in the nature of a petition for a writ of mandamus against the clerk of court. That is, you'd be suing the clerk to make him take your application in the circuit court that clerk serves. You could file it in the Supreme Court, which has original jurisdiction over such suits. Either way, you're looking at a year's delay in getting your application filed, just for the pleasure of making them do it the way the law requires. I'd be happy to do it for you, of course, I could use the money.

TFred

imported post

I don't know about Arlington / Fairfax, but around here (Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Stafford) the zip codes do reflect fairly accurate jurisdictional boundaries.

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
I don't know about Arlington / Fairfax, but around here (Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Stafford) the zip codes do reflect fairly accurate jurisdictional boundaries.

TFred

That was lucky - the post office designations cause an awful lot of confusion. The thing that bugs me the most about it is that the yellow pages organize information geographically as if the post office address had something to do with the location of the business. Drives me nuts, particularly when I'm in W.Va. I'll be looking for something in Parkersburg, for example, and find what I'm looking for, then call the business and find out they're thirty-five miles on the other side of Parkersburg.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
hello all

what Else do i need ?

thank you
Your class/instructor didnt tell you what to do about the applicationwhen you completed the class?