• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ashwaubenon, WI approves open carry of firearms in public

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Good news - now to challenge these illegal city park gun bans in court!

--

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/133246-concealed-carry-public-rooms.html

Ashwaubenon approves firearms in public
Village Board reverses prohibition on open gun carry
By Patti Zarling • pzarling@greenbaypressgazette.com • October 14, 2009

ASHWAUBENON — Village leaders agreed Tuesday people should be allowed to openly carry firearms in most parts of the community.

The Village Board reversed its ordinance forbidding the open carry of firearms to comply with state law. De Pere also changed its code after Wisconsin Attorney General J. B. Van Hollen issued an opinion saying state statutes did not indicate that openly carrying a firearm is illegal and that the state constitution gives people the right to keep and bear arms.

The rule means guns can be carried in public within municipal limits, as along as they meet a number of guidelines. They must be holstered and in plain view and cannot be taken into a school zone, public building or a place where alcohol is bought or consumed.

It remains illegal for most people to shoot or discharge a firearm in the village.

The village forbids people from bringing weapons into parks in a separate ordinance. The board agreed to reference that rule in the new firearms ordinance at Trustee Ken Bukowski's request.

He gave reluctant support to the open carry rule and said he was against the change in the Wisconsin constitution that supported the open carry of guns.

"We don't need more guns, we need fewer," Bukowski said. "It's a tragedy."

But Trustee Ken Seidel argued for gun owners' rights.

"It's in the Bill of Rights," he said. "We are endowed to own and … handle weapons," he said. "It's a right, not a privilege … I'm not advocating people run up and down the street with guns. But it's the law."

At a Public Works and Protection Committee meeting last week, Seidel warned the rule forbidding firearms in parks could be challenged at the national level by gun advocates.

The Green Bay City Council recently rejected a proposal to ban firearms from parks. It never had an ordinance making the open carry of firearms illegal. The Village Board approved the new ordinance unanimously.

opusd2

imported post

'He gave reluctant support to the open carry rule and said he was against the change in the Wisconsin constitution that supported the open carry of guns.'

Proof of ignorance in those that believe that they know better than us what we need and what we don't.

Now, to start openly exercising so we can make this commonplace and make our lives safer. Let's see how the LEOs handle it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
I live in Ashwaubenon & open every evening when i walk my dog.:)

Open what? The mail?

Sorry, I just can't let a straight line pass unbent...:lol:
open a can o beer, open the new issue of Hustler. HA ha ha (((( na, it's open carry for the win. ))):lol:

Capn Camo

imported post

They have neither authority to ban OC OR ALLOW IT.

US COnstitution, Second Amendment.

The game is to get everyone arguing about allow/disallow and try to then carefully and deliberately dialog it back to "cant" when its a topic they are not allowed to be on at all.

AaronS

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I live in Ashwaubenon & open every evening when i walk my dog.:)
My dog walks would not be the same without my side arm. For winter, I got to go with a Tactical leg holster, I hate it. Reggie (our lil Bullmastiff) needs his walks, as he tends to get fat without them.

aadvark

imported post

It is perfectly Legal in Wisconsin to carry a Firearm in a Park, and one may also carry a Firearm into any place that merely sells Alcohol for consumption on premisis so as long as the Firearm in question is not a Pistol. Longguns in Restaurants are fine under Wisconsin State Law, however; Pistols are not. On the opposite end of the spectrum both Longguns and Pistols are Legal in Parks without any further restriciton other than the age old, tired excuse, 1000 foot School Zone Law.

Sounds silly, but if you do not believe me read Wisconsin Statutes carefully.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

aadvark wrote:
It is perfectly Legal in Wisconsin to carry a Firearm in a Park, and one may also carry a Firearm into any place that merely sells Alcohol for consumption on premisis so as long as the Firearm in question is not a Pistol. Longguns in Restaurants are fine under Wisconsin State Law, however; Pistols are not. On the opposite end of the spectrum both Longguns and Pistols are Legal in Parks without any further restriciton other than the age old, tired excuse, 1000 foot School Zone Law.

Depends on if it's a county park, what county it's in. Some city parks yes some no, depends on the city.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

aadvark wrote:

WI State law prohibits carry in State Parks. The position of counties and cities throughout the State is that their Park ban is similar to and no more stringent than the State Park Ban, therefore it is not in violation of State Preemption. This has yet to be challenged in court.

If you carry a long gun in public, you are much more likely to be charged with "displaying a firearm in a threatening manor"...(brandishing). You can bet your paycheck that you will find youself being shown the door atany place of businessyou attempt toOpen Carry a long gun into.

hardballer

imported post

The good news; as I see it, is that they finally complied with state and federal law after years of non- compliance, before they got sued.

If the approval was worded as such by them it is simply Orwellian double speak to cast them in as positive a light as possible because the law already stood and their agreement was not actually needed.

Their coming into compliance should be lauded as a money saving move by the town council as lawsuits can be very expensive.

aadvark

imported post

Although I do not live in Wisconsin, nor have I ever been, I haveopen carried a Longgun in Public before. Hereagain, this occured in a different State, a Southern State, but I am simply not aware of the Political views as they may pertain to Firearms in Wisconsin.

Yes, unfortunately there are some businesses that will show you the door for carrying a Longgun into them, however; insome rural Southern towns thispractice, although uncommon, is somewhat tolerated. This, though, depends on the area that you live, the type of Longgun in question, how well you are known, etc..

As far as the State Parks ban, in lieu of,and not being more stringent than the City/County Parks ban, I can understand the merits of that argument. Needless to say, I beleive the intentions were to not allow Local Firearms Laws outside of: 1. Zoning for businesses, 2. Local Discharge, and 3. To levy a small tax wherefore; all of which are pertinant to State Preemption.