• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laramie area

the rifleman

imported post

I'm moving to the Laramie area next Spring. I know that open carry is very common and accepted in the surrounding ranchland, but does anyone have any experience with open carry in the town itself? Thanks.

Huck

imported post

I dont live in Laramie but I've been through there several times andI aint had any problem with OCing there. I've only once seen someone else OCing in Laramie, a guy at the Arby's last year but folks took no more notice of him than they did of me or anyone else.

Laramie's a University town with lots of out of staters who're probably uncomfortable about people packing so you may be the subject of MWG calls. Just a heads up.

the rifleman

imported post

Thanks, I appreciate the heads-up. I kinda figured as much with all the college students running around. I may try to get a feel from local LE before I try OCing too close to downtown or the university.

the rifleman

imported post

I was aware of the ban on campus, but thank you VERY much for the warning. I know of at least a few students who are pretty serious about campaigning to have that changed.

WyoRenegade

imported post

Rifleman,

Great questions, only it looks like I'm a few days (weeks...months...) late in getting back to you. You mentioned that you would be moving to Laramie early in the Spring (2010, I'm guessing) and were interested in having information about OC in Laramie. I thought I'd share some of my experiences there with you.

I do not live in Laramie, but I travel there with some regularity for work, often multi-day trips. The citizens of Laramie, and I'm meaning here the people that live there full time, are pretty much like most of the other folks in Wyoming; they're gun owners and very friendly, so it's not uncommon for someone to approach you to talk about OC.

As was mentioned before, Laramie's migrant population, aka "College Students," tend to fit people who fit inat least one (if not more) of the following groups: a) they didn't grow up around guns and don't understand them, and thus think they're bad; b) they come from places where even the most responsible firearms owners are labeled as "kooks" or "criminals," and that therefore, guns are bad; or c) they've bought into the delusion that guns kill people and are therefore (you guessed it!) bad. Then there are two smaller subsets: folks that know guns and like them OR folks that assume that you're a LEO simply because you're carrying your sidearm.

Most places in Wyoming are very OC friendly, however, and I have had only one marginally-negative experience with OC in Laramie which was, thankfully, quickly clarified by an off-duty LEO that more or less told the individual giving me a run around that I was well within my legal right (no matter that I told this person this over and over again). Due to the rather public nature of my employment, however, I DO possess a CFP and always conceal while on company business; but my piece quickly finds its way into the sunshine once the work is done!

Welcome to Wyoming, and I hope I'll bump into you (and your proudly open-carried sidearm) during one of my trips to Laramie!

the rifleman

imported post

WyoRenegade,

Thanks for the info, very informative, and pretty much what I expected. I'll be moving to Wyoming permanently toward the end of May. I was fortunate enough to spend some time there back in March, and experienced nothing but the best from the folks who live there.

I'm planning on getting a Wyoming concealed permit once I get there as well, but mostly just so that I don't have to worry about whether I'm "concealed" or "open" when I put on or take off my coat.

Thanks again, and all the best.