• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

springfield armory gi 45 acp 4" 1911 sucks big time

led for breakfast

imported post

does any one here have a SA gi 4" 45 acp

the a accuracy of the gun is about 20 inch below target, the shields go outstraight to you face when ejecting, sucks sucks:cuss:

i took it to a guns smith and we found out that the front sight is not aligned with the back sights and on top of that is not on the center of the slide

anyone with the same problems?

i already sent it back to Springfield armory !!:cuss:

should not buy a gun with fixed sights:banghead:

ODA 226

imported post

It sounds like you are "limp wristing" and "night shooting".

If you fire a semi-auto and allow your wrists to bend at the moment of firing (Limp Wristing), the casing has a tendency to fly straight back, hitting the shooter in the head. It will also cause an excessive number of failure to eject stoppages.

If you flinch at the moment of firing, you are "Night Shooting" or firing with your eyes closed. When you close your eyes and fire, your wrists will break downwards and the round will almost alwaysimpact extremely low, sometimes hitting the ground directly in front of the shooter.

If the sights were misaligned on the slide, I would expect rounds straying left or right, not up and down.

I've carried SA .45's for years and will attest to their accuracy and reliability. My best advice for you is to seek professional shooting instruction.

Dustin

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
If you fire a semi-auto and allow your wrists to bend at the moment of firing (Limp Wristing), the casing has a tendency to fly straight back, hitting the shooter in the head. It will also cause an excessive number of failure to eject stoppages.

Which is also pretty funny.

I bet my bottom dollar he won't admit to that :p

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hmmm, something doesn't sound right.He's talking about the commander with the bull barrel right? I didn't think those have a whole lot of hand made craftsmanship in the manufacturing process. Doesn't seem to me that Springfield's QA and machines would let that slip by.

I would have gotten a second opinion, butI guess it could happen. I agree with the other posters. It never hurts to get some proper shooting instruction.

led for breakfast

imported post

im talking about the SA gi champion 45 acp 4'' barrel with fixed low profile millitary sights

made in brazil

i will love to take shooting classes if this issues were happening with the other guns i own like s&w mp 9,para big hawg 45,kimber costum ii 45,

i can hit any thing with any of those3 pistols at 25 yards,

should not be any difference with the springfield!!

that is why my post ask if anyone else have the same gun with the same problems

thankyou all

45acpForMe

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
the a accuracy of the gun is about 20 inch below target, the shields go
When I first started shooting I couldn't figure out why I was shooting low. It turned out that I was anticipating the recoil and my hands were pushing the barrel down before the trigger.

Try dry-firing (no bullet) and see if you move the gun at all. It simply takes concentration and a little practiceto purposely not move your wrists.

I have the SA Governemnt 5-inch barrel and it shoots just fine.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
im talking about the SA gi champion 45 acp 4'' barrel with fixed low profile millitary sights

made in brazil

i will love to take shooting classes if this issues were happening with the other guns i own like s&w mp 9,para big hawg 45,kimber costum ii 45,

i can hit any thing with any of those3 pistols at 25 yards,

should not be any difference with the springfield!!

that is why my post ask if anyone else have the same gun with the same problems

thankyou all

I had a Springfield that came with a crooked front sight. I kept shooting 3 inches left (from a rest) at 15 yds. I got on the horn with Springfield and they paid the shipping both ways. They installed a new front and rear sight, and smoothed out the trigger while they had it. Springfield customer service is #1! Too bad you had to find out, but at least you can trust them.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Aren't there laser units that can be mounted to "fire" through the bore to show if you are doing any of this "flinchy" stuff??

Once I tried having a friend load his .44 mag with a combo of Specials and full-house mags. I found that although I flinched at the second Magnum shot, putting three Specials in the 10 ring was a breeze; and the next shot - a magnum - was on target, too; but then it was flinch, flinch and miss, miss. By having the order of Mag vs Spec rounds being changed, I eventually learned how to keep my sights aligned through detonation no matter what.

I understand this is NOT recommended; but it worked for me. Just .remember IF you do this to fire EVERY shot two-handed. I can now fire a mixed .44 Mag/ Spl cyinder one-handed with my strong hand, and once I get Maggie back I am going to work on the left hand. IF I can affford the ammo, that is.

ODA 226

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Aren't there laser units that can be mounted to "fire" through the bore to show if you are doing any of this "flinchy" stuff??

A much cheaper way is to have someone else put a quarter on top of the slide of an empty weapon, preferably on top of the front sight post if possible, and then take aim and pull the trigger.

If the quarter stays on, you're good to go. If not, work on your trigger pull.

Dreamer

imported post

Another way is to take a new #2 pencil and use it to draw a point on a wall. Then, put the pencil in the barrel of an unloaded gun, which you have checked to be SURE it is clear. Stand JUST far enough away from the wall that you can still see the dot, but close enough that the firing pin will push the pencil out with enough force to make a mark on the wall. (about 3/4 the length of a new pencil is a good distance) Check your gun to be SURE it is not loaded. Cock your gun, aim it at the dot you made and pull the trigger.

If the pencil makes a mark on or REALLY near the dot, you're good to go. If it's way off, then chances are you are pulling it.

sawhitt

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
does any one here have a SA gi 4" 45 acp

the a accuracy of the gun is about 20 inch below target, the shields go outstraight to you face when ejecting, sucks sucks:cuss:

i took it to a guns smith and we found out that the front sight is not aligned with the back sights and on top of that is not on the center of the slide

anyone with the same problems?

i already sent it back to Springfield armory !!:cuss:

should not buy a gun with fixed sights:banghead:

UH. Where to begin.

Replace the sights with Millets or other quality sights. You're (were) shooting a WW II reproduction firearm. Those were designed for work within a few feet to a VERY few yards at best. The 1911 G.I. sidearms was designed and designated as a (mext to) last-ditch defender. The last effort weapon was the K-Bar bayonet.

Honestly, if you needed a gunsmith to tell you that the sights were not aligned, you need to learn more about firearms, particularly handguns before going any farther down that road.

Firm grip - like a manly handshake. If you limp-wrist it, you'll be eating brass from almost any semi-auto that has enough power to stop a human intent upon stopping you.

Visit www.m1911.org to learn all you need to know about 1911's and clones.

Unicorn

imported post

Just wait for it to come back from Springfield, try it out, then post how it's fixed. If they released a lemon, like all makers do occasionally, they will fix it.

I sort of have a hard time when someone is complaining about something and they are writing like a seven year old. :banghead:

EDIT
Dang, I didn't even notice the date of the last post until after I hit send. How stupid of me, sorry. :X

But since I already resurrected this dead thread, did SA fix the gun?

Damiansar-15

imported post

The only problem I have had with Springfields have been with extractors. I have two 4" Springfields, e.g. SS Champion, compact (officers). The Champion started have extraction problems after 1000 rounds. At the time, I wanted to get the pistol hard-chromed in a matte finish. So, I sent it to Tripp Research and Virgil replaced the extractor with an Ed Brown part, and added a full-length guide rod. Gun runs great now.

My alum-framed compact also started having extraction issues after 500 rounds. I rarely shoot this gun, since I have it setup for carry and don't want to ruin the Alum. frame with heavy shooting. This time I called Springfield, because I was a bit upset that this was my second extractor problem with their product. I explained the overall issues I was having with the pistol, e.g. sight wear, finish wear, extractor and explained how Tripp Research solved the problem on my Champion.

I thought Springfield would just fix the extractor, but it looks like my letter sparked some attention from their custom shop. They sent back my compact refinished in a more durable finish, added new sites, fixed the extractor and added the full-length guide rod. They went above and beyond and had the gun back to me within 2 weeks. They also paid for shipping. I was more impressed with the customer service of Springfield than I was with Wilson Combat in regards to a KZ-45 I used to own.

For the money, you really can't beat Springfield in regards to 1911 pistols. They are very durable and the customer service is amazing. I would rather have a $500-$1500 Springfield than a $3000-$4000 custom branded gun...

SlowDog

imported post

I totally concur with this. I have a Springfield 1911A1 G.I. MILSPEC and it will feed everything I have fed it and is very accurate. Enough so it makes me look better then I am.:uhoh::quirky

230therapy

imported post

Get on the 1911 Forum and look around ( http://www.1911forum.com/forums ).

AFAIK, Springfield uses some sort of laser doohicky to "align" their guns rather than shoot them. Sometimes it's a bit off...you're not the first person to complain about this.

Send it back to Springfield with all your complaints and they will fix them. Their service is quite good. Check out the story of the guy whose gun got run over on the highway:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=174946

SlowDog

imported post

I just read that whole thread and all I can say is HOLY S**T!!!:what::what::what:

I know now that if I need anything repaired on my Springer I won't have any worries when sending it in.