• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Abuelo's, Roanoke, VA

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just got done taking a gander at the Friend or Foe site and noticed a new posting about Abuelo's Mexican in Roanoke having posted a "No Guns" sign. Who here provided the post and have you heard anything back from the company? I like the place and will write a note to them to let them know they've lost my business if you can spare some details.

Thanks!

occva

imported post

I have eaten there several times, although not in the last few months. I have never had a problem and I know my gun was seen.

I hope it is not posted, I like the food.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup I ate there a couple months ago with a buddy. I used to eat at Abuelos a fair bit when I lived in AZ, but not so much since getting to VA. Hopefully we can figure out who gave us the heads-up on the Friend or Foe site.

Thndr

imported post

They use to not have a sign up. But I noticed about a few weeks to a month ago that they now have a "No Weapons" sign on the left lower window of the entrance. Again I have not seen this before so I am guessing something triggered it and it is there now.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So that was you that made the post Thndr? There are a few folks down in Roanoke that I'm aware of, so I'm just trying to figure out who posted it.

Have you called the store or written to corporate? Their neighbor, Carrabba's, had a NO GUN sign up and some letter writing by our fellows here led to it being taken down.

Thndr

imported post

No that was not me. I just noticed the sign like I said a few weeks ago and have not taken enough time to pen a letter yet maybe this coming week I will send one off to them.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I found myself down in Roanoke this afternoon doing a bit of shopping at the local Gander Mountain. After leaving GM I figured I'd swing by Abuelo's to get a look at the "NO FIREARMS" sign for myself so I could actually say in a letter to them that it kept them from getting my business. Well I pulled in the parking lot turned on ye olde voice recorder and headed for the door. Got to the door and saw no sign. Got through the first set of doors and still no sign. Walked up to the hostess stand where several hostesses were standing along with a manager and still saw no sign, but they certainly saw my gun. I asked for a table for 1 and they seated me immediately. I ended up having a tasty meal and a friendly waitress and no hassle at all about the gun even though I was sitting at a table where the gun could be seen by many tables around me.

I don't know what happened to get the sign removed, but its gone now and I had no issues whatsoever dining armed in the Roanoke Abuelo's. :)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
I found myself down in Roanoke this afternoon doing a bit of shopping at the local Gander Mountain. After leaving GM I figured I'd swing by Abuelo's to get a look at the "NO FIREARMS" sign for myself so I could actually say in a letter to them that it kept them from getting my business. Well I pulled in the parking lot turned on ye olde voice recorder and headed for the door. Got to the door and saw no sign. Got through the first set of doors and still no sign. Walked up to the hostess stand where several hostesses were standing along with a manager and still saw no sign, but they certainly saw my gun. I asked for a table for 1 and they seated me immediately. I ended up having a tasty meal and a friendly waitress and no hassle at all about the gun even though I was sitting at a table where the gun could be seen by many tables around me.

I don't know what happened to get the sign removed, but its gone now and I had no issues whatsoever dining armed in the Roanoke Abuelo's. :)
+1000 and that friends is how you "ask" if a place is gun friendly or not.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup! :) This is business number 2 in that same mall area that has pulled down their "NO GUNS" sign.

BTW to whoever owns the friendorfoe site, I tried twice to update the restaurant listing with my good experience and it still doesn't show anything but the negative experience. :(

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the rating for Abuelo's, and have taken the opportunity to update the site so all submissions show instantly again.

Thanks for continuing to use the site, I'm glad you are finding it useful, and I suppose I should add some contact info on there to make changes like this easier in the future.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Yeh, I had to look your email up on your domain registration.

Do you plan to add an Update feature for when things change?

These guys were pro at one time, might have been an issue for those relying on your site and got in an uncomfortable spot when the restaurantwent the other way (before becoming pro again).

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not often than a business will change from one mindset to the other, but I can add a link to notify me of a policy change so that once validated, the slate can be wiped clean so to speak.

Thndr

imported post

Had a few friends in for the weekend and they wanted to go there Friday and I did not notice the sign either.

Use to be in the lower left pane on the very front entrance. Again it was there I can confirm personally since I have carried there before it was a little of a shock.

Since I meet there after work I was not carrying as it is against my companies policy and vehicle searches while rare do happen.

Was going to post and ask if anyone had gotten an answer from them yet.

Good to hear.

DocKen

imported post

Would it be beneficial to have a card with the address to this list?

Someone who has a good/bad experience could let them actually see that such is being noted. In addition to updates from OC types, the businesses that see themselves on this list would have a chance to submit an update should they change their mind?

Might also be a link to some FAQ's or something for those that want to see exactly what the requirements are, as well as some "educational info" that might encourage them to change their minds?

Glock27Bill

imported post

DocKen wrote:
Would it be beneficial to have a card with the address to this list?

Someone who has a good/bad experience could let them actually see that such is being noted. In addition to updates from OC types, the businesses that see themselves on this list would have a chance to submit an update should they change their mind?

Might also be a link to some FAQ's or something for those that want to see exactly what the requirements are, as well as some "educational info" that might encourage them to change their minds?

Maybe Ed can add the link to his next batch of cards.

Or if he wants to do it now and pitch the ones he has,I'm sure some of uscan help him pay for the replacements.

AbNo

imported post

ed wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

+1000 and that friends is how you "ask" if a place is gun friendly or not.
This, exactly this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
Could you please post a link to the friend or foe sight... can't seem to locate it...:banghead:
There's also a link for them in the Other News Section of Old Va.
http://news.oldva.org/national-international-and-economic-news/

I need to add a few links also but haven't gotten around to it. Friend or Foe is a great service. It used to drive me nuts trying to separate the good businesses on the site.