• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

being able to OC

MICKEYMALT77

imported post

Ihavn't heard anything in a while so I just wanted to check and see, if we are any closer to being able to OC in this great state?

Godscreation

imported post

Holy cow! It's 12:39 just 20 minutes after posted this and I logged into this SC forum to ask the same thing!

What of the petition? What of the bills? If ya'll are willing to fire on fort sumpter, trump the National ID Act, why can't you get OC back in SC? :)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
why can't you get OC back in SC? :)
Follow the money. Who profits from South Carolina's CCW law?

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
[ ... ]
5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
[ ... ]
(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association..
Do you expect the NRA and its certified pistol instructors to give up this sinecure?

griv

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Godscreation wrote:
why can't you get OC back in SC? :)
Follow the money. Who profits from South Carolina's CCW law?

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
[ ...]
5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
[ ...]
(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association..
Do you expect the NRA and its certified pistol instructors to give up this sinecure?
I don't see that as the issue as most people want to carry concealed so we don't get hassled. I have been in NC for 15 years and rarely ever see someone OC unless they are LE or security.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

griv wrote:
I don't see that as the issue as most people want to carry concealed so we don't get hassled. I have been in NC for 15 years and rarely ever see someone OC unless they are LE or security.
OC or CC but do not restrict my choice - that is the issue.

Give in to those that "hassle" you and you will lose your rights.

Yata hey

hp-hobo

imported post

griv wrote:
I was unaware that "most" people wanted to carry concealed. That sounds more like an opinion than a fact to me. Care to share any documentation to prove it?

aadvark

imported post

The South Carolina Legislature introduced Legislation that would allow Open Carry without any further need of Licensure, I believe that it was during the last Legislative session in fact. However, the bill did not pass. Open Carry of a Longgun is still Legal though. In stark contrast, Open Carry of a Pistol is still currently Illegal in South Carolina.

armyman29340

imported post

The Bill number is H.3003, and imperfect though it is, it's something we could work on. Problemis that the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee is appearently blocking further action on this bill. What we need is the people here (SC residents on the Forums), and those who sympathise with us to stirr up publicity. I've been pushing for OC here for a long time, and can't even get those who want it to MAKE A LOCAL CALL to their State Reps.

hp-hobo

imported post

armyman29340 wrote:
The Bill number is H.3003, and imperfect though it is, it's something we could work on. Problemis that the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee is appearently blocking further action on this bill. What we need is the people here (SC residents on the Forums), and those who sympathise with us to stirr up publicity. I've been pushing for OC here for a long time, and can't even get those who want it to MAKE A LOCAL CALL to their State Reps.
Apparently you're not familiar with this;

http://scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3003.html

Making those changes would make it closer to perfect... Or at least acceptable for now. Perfect would bea place thatthere are no laws of any kind that infringe upon a citizen's right to keep and bear arms asguaranteed in the Second Amendment. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon either on a state or national level.

What have you personally done to "push" for OC in South Carolina? Have you signed the online petition? Have you helped to distribute flyers at gunshows or help pay for those flyers? Are you a member of GrassRoots GunRights? Do you contribute to GunRights PAC? Any and all help is welcome. Feel free to join us.

armyman29340

imported post

I am quite familiar with the flaws in the H.3003 proposition, but we have only two ways to carry a weapon in SC right now...with a CWP and concealed, or illegally.

As for what I've done to promote OC in the State: I've written letter to the local papers, talked to customers in my Taxi urging them to call Representatives, called those Reps myself, repeatedly... Called local talk radio, and atleast a dozen other activities.

The question isn't what I've done, it's what I've seen as the results of all that I've done.

Answer?

Nothing.

People would rather lose their rights in this state, depend on the government to keep them up, protect them, and tell them what to do, and what they CAN do.

I have found not ONE person who is willing to call the State Representative (and it's local calls, not long distance).

Everyone sees the problem, the violence, etc. They are all afraid of it, long for it to end, but won't do anything that might actually end it.

Bitter?

Yes, I suppose I am.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

armyman29340 wrote:
I am quite familiar with the flaws in the H.3003 proposition,
The point was not the flaws in H 3003 but that it is dying and has been for nearly a year, since March 2009.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/web_bh10.exe?bill1=3003&session=118
Code:
class="bill"12/09/08  House  Prefiled
12/09/08  House  Referred to Committee on Judiciary
01/13/09  House  Introduced and read first time [url=http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/hj09/20090113.htm]HJ[/url]-16
01/13/09  House  Referred to Committee on Judiciary [url=http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/hj09/20090113.htm]HJ[/url]-17
01/28/09  House  Member(s) request name added as sponsor: E.H.Pitts
02/10/09  House  Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Skelton
02/17/09  House  Member(s) request name removed as sponsor: Skelton
03/05/09  House  Member(s) request name removed as sponsor: Toole

dadpharm

imported post

I emailed every one of SC state reps and senators. Most responses were of the- call me when we are in session type-. However everyone who responsed were in favor of OC and restraurant carry. So why cant we get some sort of bill thru?

AngelMaker

imported post

Made some calls and sent letters and some e-mails. Maybe it will get the ball rolling again.

CZ MAK DADDY

imported post

I currently live in SC aleast for the last 10 years. iam sure it hasent changed but we are allowed to OC only while hunting and/or fishing, no where near public areas. I my self think open carry is great. when i go to states that allow it, like NC i do it as often as possible in stead of CC. the only problem is that there are for lack of a better worldwussy's out there. that don't know a thing about guns and/or their own freaking gun laws. they are blinded with rays of sun shine and those lame "snuggie" things on tv. there is evil out there right around the corner and they don't care how nice and caring you are and of corse dont care about the law. thats the problem i feel uncomfortable when i carry open, and iam the one with the gun. i dont like to be hassled for no reason by morons that don't understand that i'am the good guy. the only way you will ever have a real dose of peace, harmony, and confidense while exercising our rights is when everyone else relizes we have rights.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

CZ MAK DADDY wrote:
I currently live in SC aleast for the last 10 years. iam sure it hasent changed but we are allowed to OC only while hunting and/or fishing, no where near public areas. I my self think open carry is great. when i go to states that allow it, like NC i do it as often as possible in stead of CC. the only problem is that there are for lack of a better worldwussy's out there. that don't know a thing about guns and/or their own freaking gun laws. they are blinded with rays of sun shine and those lame "snuggie" things on tv. there is evil out there right around the corner and they don't care how nice and caring you are and of corse dont care about the law. thats the problem i feel uncomfortable when i carry open, and iam the one with the gun. i dont like to be hassled for no reason by morons that don't understand that i'am the good guy. the only way you will ever have a real dose of peace, harmony, and confidense while exercising our rights is when everyone else relizes we have rights.
Thank goodness this is "the good guy." Imagine if he was a baaad guy. If he was a bad guy then our job of defeating our enemies would be so much easier.

hp-hobo

imported post

CZ MAK DADDY wrote:
I don't know where you get your information, but it is incorrect. In South Carolina you are allowed to open or conceal carry on your lawfully held property, which includes rented or leased property,or on any other private property with the owners permission. No CWP required. Of course there are some exceptions, a doctor's office for example.

Because of where I live, because I own and operate my own business and because I've ask for permission and recieved it (in writing) from lots of people, I'm able to open carry the most of the time. I've had my "go to work" .38 on my hip since 0430 today, only concealed by my jacket during the 15 minute drive to work. And I do this essentially every day. In South Carolina.

It takes some effort and coordination, but it can be done. If you feel I'm wrong, please site your supporting documentation.

Welcome to the forum and please add your location to your profile so we know where you're at. Are you a member of GrassRoots GunRights? If not, you should be.

http://www.scfirearms.org/