• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP question

Jenn

imported post

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and want to get my concealed permit. I was in the military briefly and know Ishould be able touse my DD214 as proof of training. I was unable to make it all the way through boot camp so I was wondering if I can still use the DD214?

NightOwl

imported post

I'd suggest you contact the local agency that processes the paperwork and ask them.

That being said, a neighbor of mine was recently talking with me about getting his CCW, and mentioned that hismilitary recordswere considered to be acceptable. I'd like to say it's the same form you're speaking of, but I'm not familiarenough with it to be certain. He's in his 50s.

darthmord

imported post

Jenn wrote:
I live in Virginia Beach, VA and want to get my concealed permit. I was in the military briefly and know Ishould be able touse my DD214 as proof of training. I was unable to make it all the way through boot camp so I was wondering if I can still use the DD214?

As long as you have a DD-214 and it indicates an honorable discharge, you should be okay.

If I am incorrect, someone will be along shortly to correct me. ;)

Alternatively, you will probably want to go through a CHP class. There are a lot of them held in the area. My wife & I went to the one at Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk. $39.99 at the time (not sure of price now). Classroom instruction as well as range time.

Though you will get a more accurate answer if you ask this in the VA forum. There are a few instructors that post there. ProShooter being one of them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Jenn wrote:
Just present your DD Form 214 showing honorable discharge - don't ask, don't tell.

And redact your SSN fromt eh 214 and refuse to disclose on the application - otherwise it will become a public record.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Jenn wrote:
Just present your DD Form 214 showing honorable discharge - don't ask, don't tell.

And redact your SSN fromt eh 214 and refuse to disclose on the application - otherwise it will become a public record.

Make a photocopy of your DD-214 and black out your SSN on the copy. Bring your original DD-214 so the Clerk can verify the copy - which you will deposit along with your CHP application - is correct. If the Clerk will not accept the photocopy you have brought, ask them to make a Testee Copy of the original DD-214 from which you can redact your SSN.

Another option is to go to your bank or other business that offers free notary services with your original DD-214 and get them to make you several True Copies. Use one of the True Copies, with the SSN redacted, to file with your CHP application. (A True Copy is like a Testeee Copy except that only a Court Clerk can do the Testee jurat [technical/legal term for saying it was notarized.])

As for the issue of your DD-214 being accepted because you did not finish boot camp - the Code of Virginia says a DD-214 is to be accepted. There is nothing about how many days you needed to have served. Remember this if your application is denied.

stay safe.

skidmark

PS - Please forgive my manners. Welcome to OCDO, and Thank You for your service - no matter how many days it was for.

Boot camp? Squid or Marine?

stay safe. Semper Fi.

skidmark

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Make a photocopy of your DD-214 and black out your SSN on the copy. Bring your original DD-214 so the Clerk can verify the copy - which you will deposit along with your CHP application - is correct. If the Clerk will not accept the photocopy you have brought, ask them to make a Testee Copy of the original DD-214 from which you can redact your SSN.

Another option is to go to your bank or other business that offers free notary services with your original DD-214 and get them to make you several True Copies. Use one of the True Copies, with the SSN redacted, to file with your CHP application. (A True Copy is like a Testeee Copy except that only a Court Clerk can do the Testee jurat [technical/legal term for saying it was notarized.])
I disagree with these procedures and if they are required by any locality or court, they should be challenged - the law is clear that any "copy" of proof of competence shall be accepted as evidence of such competence. no need to present originals ever.

--

Va. Code Section 18.2-308(G) provides that "The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire: . . . Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through . . . current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services; . . .

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

Jenn

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Mike wrote:
Jenn wrote:

As for the issue of your DD-214 being accepted because you did not finish boot camp - the Code of Virginia says a DD-214 is to be accepted. There is nothing about how many days you needed to have served. Remember this if your application is denied.

stay safe.

skidmark

PS - Please forgive my manners. Welcome to OCDO, and Thank You for your service - no matter how many days it was for.

Boot camp? Squid or Marine?

stay safe. Semper Fi.

skidmark
Thanks for the info. Yes, boot camp and neither Squid or Marine. ARMY!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike - Mea Culpa. I should have known better. Obviously a brain fart moment on my part.

Jenn - Please go with what Mike says. No need to "prove" your copy of the DD-214 is exactly that. And the Army does not have boot camp - it has basic training. I'm not going to start an inter-service flame by explaining why the Army only provides basic training.:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

Jenn

imported post

Thank you, Mike and Skidmark both of you answered my question. Boot camp and basic training what is the difference? Trust me, I am not trying to start anything I am just curious how you define them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jenn wrote:
Thank you, Mike and Skidmark both of you answered my question. Boot camp and basic training what is the difference? Trust me, I am not trying to start anything I am just curious how you define them.

Check your PMs.

stay safe.

skidmark