Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I get my local PD to accept the law?

Post imported post

I called the Dearborn police department a year or so ago to ask them if they were aware that open carry is legal. They told me that they knew of no such law, and would arrest me on the spot for open carrying. I wish to begin exercising my right to this end, and I want to warn them of the law before I do so to avoid a possible confrontation. How should I go about this. Should I send a form letter, and if so, what should it say?

Thanks a lot!

Post imported post

You should fill in the location on your profile so members may assist you better.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

So should I email that, or print it out and drop it off? Who would I drop it off to?

Post imported post

I wasn't aware that obeying the law was optional.

Any other laws they think they don't need to obey? Robbery, rape, murder?

When some cop falsely arrests somebody and loses house, they won't be able to find anybody to commit crimes.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Ignorance of the law is no excuse... unless you're a police officer.

Post imported post

Do it in writing, certified return receipt mail to the chief. Or hand deliver to the chief with a signature acceptance page that you keep a copy and so do they. Either way its documented and you have the proof that it is. Make sure you quote whomever said and what they said. When carrying from then on, carry a digital recorder and hope for the best (compliance with the law).

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Get arrested for open carry, sue their asses off with a federal civil rights lawsuit, and they'll suddenly become aware of the law.

Post imported post

Get arrested for open carry, sue their asses off with a federal civil rights lawsuit, and they'll suddenly become aware of the law.

Damn right. They'll figure it out.

Post imported post

On another thread this guy said he wanted to OC - if in fact he did - in the least "obnoxious" manner possible. I called him out on it and his response was very troll-like. I would like to know what weapons he has and how long he has een experienced with them. Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but if this person were truly one of us then "unobtrusively" would be a good adjective. "Obnoxious"???? My "troll detecctor" is reading 89.7 right now. Maybe he can clarify but right now I smell troll.

Post imported post

having to pay out large sums of money seem to do the trick.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    On another thread this guy said he wanted to OC - if in fact he did - in the least "obnoxious" manner possible.... Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but if this person were truly one of us then "unobtrusively" would be a good adjective. "Obnoxious"???? My "troll detecctor" is reading 89.7 right now. Maybe he can clarify but right now I smell troll.
    Calling a manor of carryobnoxious is less offensive than accusing someone of being a mall-ninja wannabe based only on thechoice to wear a drop leg holster with a heavy jacket in the winter. That poster was a high post count much more "senior" member....

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Interrupters that live in glass manors shouldn't throw accusations.

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    Assuming of course the individual can afford the legal fees for a court case that could take years to resolve, and is willing to endure extra "attention" from the local PD in the meantime...

Post imported post

canadian wrote:
    Statkowski wrote:
    Assuming of course the individual can afford the legal fees for a court case that could take years to resolve
    Which I most certainly cannot.

I like the idea of taking the documents to the police chief and having him sign off on it. But boy is that going to take some balls... I've always been taught to fear police, knowing full well the "discretion" that they have to ruin your day. Should I take the document linked to by Interceptor_Knight and hand it to the chief, or should I print up a simple sheet that says "I, police chief of Dearborn, do hereby affirm that open carry is legal in Michigan" with a signature area? I'm really in the dark as to how to go about all of this.

I appreciate the defense from Alex's unfounded and insulting criticism. I know that trolls can be a problem on firearms forums, but to accuse a new member of being a troll simply for posting a few times in a day and stating that I don't want to attract attention if I choose to open carry is a bit much. I was considering just dropping the forum and the hope of open carrying altogether after his cold welcome, but I think I'll hang around a bit longer now.

And again, all of your help is greatly appreciated. I know that a right unused ceases to be a right, and I want to open carry if only to preserve this freedom.

Post imported post

Assuming of course the individual can afford the legal fees for a court case that could take years to resolve, and is willing to endure extra "attention" from the local PD in the meantime...

Why do people say stupid stuff like this? This isn't a personal attack, but seriously this is moronic, self-defeatist drivel that is simply not true and only seeks to discourage people from asserting their civil rights.

Federal court costs $350 to file, about a medium priced handgun. After that, your primary cost is postage.

There are example lawsuits on OCDO right now, such as the dickson city lawsuit and a pro-se manual in the California thread...

But boy is that going to take some balls...

Not a problem for me.

I've always been taught to fear police, knowing full well the "discretion" that they have to ruin your day.

Only if you are weak. If you walk around all day in fear, I pity you.

You should sue them, but that takes balls too.

If you aren't willing to stand up for your rights then you should enjoy the abuse you suffer and just develop a higher tolerance for pain.

Post imported post

You sound like a real tough guy, codename. Perhaps you could go speak to the Dearborn Chief of Police for me?

Post imported post

I'm tougher than a coffin nail. I do my talking in court. You should too.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

gmreplay wrote:
    You sound like a real tough guy, codename. Perhaps you could go speak to the Dearborn Chief of Police for me?
    Why even talk to the police, it makes it seem like you are asking their permission or begging for approval to exercise a guaranteed right.
    PLAIN & SIMPLE, THERE AS NO LAW PROHIBITING OPEN-CARRY OF A FIREARM IN MICHIGAN. (except for a few places that are off-limits)

if you are afraid, meet up with some of the MOC member during oe of their many events. the MI forum always has something going on nearly every friggin weekend.

GM, I am not bitching at you directly, it just bothers me that some people are afraid to stand up for what is right. What would you do if the cop lied to you and said it is illegal to O-C, would that be the end of it for you?

Post imported post

Sounds like we need a Dearborn OC meeting.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    gmreplay wrote:
    Why even talk to the police, it makes it seem like you are asking their permission or begging for approval to exercise a guaranteed right.
    PLAIN & SIMPLE, THERE AS NO LAW PROHIBITING OPEN-CARRY OF A FIREARM IN MICHIGAN. (except for a few places that are off-limits)

if you are afraid, meet up with some of the MOC member during oe of their many events. the MI forum always has something going on nearly every friggin weekend.

GM, I am not bitching at you directly, it just bothers me that some people are afraid to stand up for what is right. What would you do if the cop lied to you and said it is illegal to O-C, would that be the end of it for you?
    Given my previous call to the Dearborn PD, they know nothing of this law. I don't want them taking me for a crazed gunman and shooting me on sight or arrest me, even if that would result in a sweet lawsuit. I don't want to take anything to court. I have neither the time nor the funds for any such exercise. As such, I want to inform the police of my intention to exercise my right before I do so.

I'm tougher than a coffin nail. I do my talking in court. You should too.
    Not true. It appears you also do quite a bit of talking here on the board.

Post imported post

There are three ways:

1. Persuasion and education
    2. Judicial edict
    3. Hit 'em in the pocketbook

The last two pretty much require some discomfort on your part, because you'll either need to get arrested and prove your case before a judge, or pro-actively sue them and get a judgement of mandamus.

Post imported post

gmreplay wrote:
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse... unless you're a police officer.
    sssSSSSShhhhhHHHHH your letting the cat out of the bag.

SaRcasm
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

I don't want to take anything to court. I have neither the time nor the funds for any such exercise.

Then stop complaining. If you aren't willing to force change, there is nothing you can do.

I talk because I have experience.

Post imported post

codename_47 wrote:
    I don't want to take anything to court. I have neither the time nor the funds for any such exercise.

Then stop complaining. If you aren't willing to force change, there is nothing you can do.

I talk because I have experience.
    Never be afraid to go to court, we have the law and constitution on our side. Most Lawyers who understand it will have no problem fighting and WINNING a case as cut and dry regarding our rights.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast