• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How should I get my local PD to accept the law?

gmreplay

imported post

I called the Dearborn police department a year or so ago to ask them if they were aware that open carry is legal. They told me that they knew of no such law, and would arrest me on the spot for open carrying. I wish to begin exercising my right to this end, and I want to warn them of the law before I do so to avoid a possible confrontation. How should I go about this. Should I send a form letter, and if so, what should it say?

Thanks a lot!

Deanimator

imported post

I wasn't aware that obeying the law was optional.

Any other laws they think they don't need to obey? Robbery, rape, murder?

When some cop falsely arrests somebody and loses house, they won't be able to find anybody to commit crimes.

jhow1nm2

imported post

Do it in writing, certified return receipt mail to the chief. Or hand deliver to the chief with a signature acceptance page that you keep a copy and so do they. Either way its documented and you have the proof that it is. Make sure you quote whomever said and what they said. When carrying from then on, carry a digital recorder and hope for the best (compliance with the law).

codename_47

imported post

Get arrested for open carry, sue their asses off with a federal civil rights lawsuit, and they'll suddenly become aware of the law.

Damn right. They'll figure it out.

Alexcabbie

imported post

On another thread this guy said he wanted to OC - if in fact he did - in the least "obnoxious" manner possible. I called him out on it and his response was very troll-like. I would like to know what weapons he has and how long he has een experienced with them. Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but if this person were truly one of us then "unobtrusively" would be a good adjective. "Obnoxious"???? My "troll detecctor" is reading 89.7 right now. Maybe he can clarify but right now I smell troll.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
On another thread this guy said he wanted to OC - if in fact he did - in the least "obnoxious" manner possible.... Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but if this person were truly one of us then "unobtrusively" would be a good adjective. "Obnoxious"???? My "troll detecctor" is reading 89.7 right now. Maybe he can clarify but right now I smell troll.
Calling a manor of carryobnoxious is less offensive than accusing someone of being a mall-ninja wannabe based only on thechoice to wear a drop leg holster with a heavy jacket in the winter. That poster was a high post count much more "senior" member....:cool:

canadian

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Get arrested for open carry, sue their asses off with a federal civil rights lawsuit, and they'll suddenly become aware of the law.
Assuming of course the individual can afford the legal fees for a court case that could take years to resolve, and is willing to endure extra "attention" from the local PD in the meantime...

gmreplay

imported post

canadian wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
Assuming of course the individual can afford the legal fees for a court case that could take years to resolve

Which I most certainly cannot.

I like the idea of taking the documents to the police chief and having him sign off on it. But boy is that going to take some balls... I've always been taught to fear police, knowing full well the "discretion" that they have to ruin your day. Should I take the document linked to by Interceptor_Knight and hand it to the chief, or should I print up a simple sheet that says "I, police chief of Dearborn, do hereby affirm that open carry is legal in Michigan" with a signature area? I'm really in the dark as to how to go about all of this.

I appreciate the defense from Alex's unfounded and insulting criticism. I know that trolls can be a problem on firearms forums, but to accuse a new member of being a troll simply for posting a few times in a day and stating that I don't want to attract attention if I choose to open carry is a bit much. I was considering just dropping the forum and the hope of open carrying altogether after his cold welcome, but I think I'll hang around a bit longer now.

And again, all of your help is greatly appreciated. I know that a right unused ceases to be a right, and I want to open carry if only to preserve this freedom.

codename_47

imported post

Assuming of course the individual can afford the legal fees for a court case that could take years to resolve, and is willing to endure extra "attention" from the local PD in the meantime...

Why do people say stupid stuff like this? This isn't a personal attack, but seriously this is moronic, self-defeatist drivel that is simply not true and only seeks to discourage people from asserting their civil rights.

Federal court costs $350 to file, about a medium priced handgun. After that, your primary cost is postage.

There are example lawsuits on OCDO right now, such as the dickson city lawsuit and a pro-se manual in the California thread...

But boy is that going to take some balls...

Not a problem for me.

I've always been taught to fear police, knowing full well the "discretion" that they have to ruin your day.

Only if you are weak. If you walk around all day in fear, I pity you.

You should sue them, but that takes balls too.

If you aren't willing to stand up for your rights then you should enjoy the abuse you suffer and just develop a higher tolerance for pain.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

gmreplay wrote:
You sound like a real tough guy, codename. Perhaps you could go speak to the Dearborn Chief of Police for me?

Why even talk to the police, it makes it seem like you are asking their permission or begging for approval to exercise a guaranteed right.
PLAIN & SIMPLE, THERE AS NO LAW PROHIBITING OPEN-CARRY OF A FIREARM IN MICHIGAN. (except for a few places that are off-limits)

if you are afraid, meet up with some of the MOC member during oe of their many events. the MI forum always has something going on nearly every friggin weekend.

GM, I am not bitching at you directly, it just bothers me that some people are afraid to stand up for what is right. What would you do if the cop lied to you and said it is illegal to O-C, would that be the end of it for you?