• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How should I get my local PD to accept the law?

gmreplay

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
gmreplay wrote:
You sound like a real tough guy, codename. Perhaps you could go speak to the Dearborn Chief of Police for me?

Why even talk to the police, it makes it seem like you are asking their permission or begging for approval to exercise a guaranteed right.
PLAIN & SIMPLE, THERE AS NO LAW PROHIBITING OPEN-CARRY OF A FIREARM IN MICHIGAN. (except for a few places that are off-limits)

if you are afraid, meet up with some of the MOC member during oe of their many events. the MI forum always has something going on nearly every friggin weekend.

GM, I am not bitching at you directly, it just bothers me that some people are afraid to stand up for what is right. What would you do if the cop lied to you and said it is illegal to O-C, would that be the end of it for you?

Given my previous call to the Dearborn PD, they know nothing of this law. I don't want them taking me for a crazed gunman and shooting me on sight or arrest me, even if that would result in a sweet lawsuit. I don't want to take anything to court. I have neither the time nor the funds for any such exercise. As such, I want to inform the police of my intention to exercise my right before I do so.

I'm tougher than a coffin nail. I do my talking in court. You should too.

Not true. It appears you also do quite a bit of talking here on the board.

KBCraig

imported post

There are three ways:

1. Persuasion and education
  2. Judicial edict
  3. Hit 'em in the pocketbook
The last two pretty much require some discomfort on your part, because you'll either need to get arrested and prove your case before a judge, or pro-actively sue them and get a judgement of mandamus.

zack991

imported post

gmreplay wrote:
Ignorance of the law is no excuse... unless you're a police officer.
sssSSSSShhhhhHHHHH your letting the cat out of the bag.:uhoh:

SaRcasm

codename_47

imported post

I don't want to take anything to court. I have neither the time nor the funds for any such exercise.

Then stop complaining. If you aren't willing to force change, there is nothing you can do.

I talk because I have experience.

zack991

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
I don't want to take anything to court. I have neither the time nor the funds for any such exercise.

Then stop complaining. If you aren't willing to force change, there is nothing you can do.

Never be afraid to go to court, we have the law and constitution on our side. Most Lawyers who understand it will have no problem fighting and WINNING a case as cut and dry regarding our rights.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

zack991 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Never be afraid to go to court, we have the law and constitution on our side. Most Lawyers who understand it will have no problem fighting and WINNING a case as cut and dry regarding out rights.

If anything...I'd send a letter to the chief of police and tell him in no uncertain terms...

A. Open Carry is legal in your state. (cite the law if you can)

B. You intend to exercise your rights.

C. You have an attorney on retainer ready to sue his a$$ off for civil rights violations if he (or any of his officers) even thinks about harrassing you while you exercise your rights.

Do not ask for permission, inform him of your intentions...you cross the bridge on "C" when/if you get there...Do not forget a digital voice recorder...one small enough to easily concealthat wouldpossibly be missed on a routine pat down. If you can get them recorded violating your rights...it'll be a slam dunk in court!

Statesman

imported post

Better yet, use PORC 411. A voice recorder can be taken, and erased. I wouldn't put such an action by bad apples past them. Put PORC 411 on your speed dial, and your encounter will be recorded and transmitted to everyone subscribed on the list.

The recording is not accessible by the would be tyrant that would destroy the evidence of the encounter.

http://mail.ioerror.us/mailman/listinfo/porcupine-411

--

Here's how it works:
  1. To notify people of something, call 1-603-413-0411 and leave a message after the beep. Porcupine 411 will then distribute an audio file containing your message to everyone who is subscribed to the list.
  2. To receive the audio notifications when someone leaves a message, subscribe to the mailing list using the form below.