• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun ban at Seattle parks facilities goes into effect

knight_308

imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010065107_webgunban14m.html

Gun ban at Seattle parks facilities goes into effect A ban on guns in certain Seattle park facilities, specifically to protect children, went into effect today, according to the mayor's office.
By Seattle Times staff
A ban on guns in certain Seattle park facilities, specifically to protect children, went into effect today, according to the mayor's office.
The move, which has drawn criticism including questions about its legality, affects hundreds of playgrounds, community centers, sports fields, swimming pools and water-play areas.
"When children and families visit a Seattle Parks and Recreation pool, playground, community center or other facility, they are entitled to a reasonable expectation of safety," Mayor Greg Nickels said in a news release. "It's common sense to prohibit guns in places where kids and young adults play and learn."
The gun ban, a new rule by Parks and Recreation, will be in effect only at facilities where signs have been posted, according to to the news release.
Community centers will get the first signs, followed by pools, popular play areas, and ballfields. The mayor's office said all facilities should have the signs by Dec. 1.
The first signs are expected to go up Friday at South Park Community Center, Garfield Community Center and Bitter Lake Community Center
If someone with a gun enters one of the designated facilities, he or she will be asked by parks employees or Seattle police officers to leave. If the person won't leave, he or she could be cited or arrested for criminal trespass, according to the mayor's office.
Nickels has argued that state law does not prohibit a property owner from imposing conditions on possessing firearms on his or her property.
The city's position, Nickels has said, is that a municipal property owner such as Seattle may impose limits on firearms as a condition of entry or use of particular facilities, particularly those where children and youths are likely to be.
State Attorney General Rob McKenna, however, has disagreed.
In a statement released in mid-September, he said he has a history of working to protect children's safety, but "as Mayor Nickels is aware, the Attorney General's Office issued an opinion in 2008, which found that state law pre-empts local authority to adopt firearms regulations, unless specifically authorized by law."
The opinion won't stop Nickels from invoking his ban, said Janelle Guthrie, with the AG's office. However, she said, the opinion holds the weight of law and could be used if the law is challenged, as gun advocates have vowed to do.
adv.gif

var zflag_nid="1061"; var zflag_cid="2"; var zflag_sid="1"; var zflag_width="300"; var zflag_height="250"; var zflag_sz="9"; rsi_pub = '4F62E1E1D2D648BFACEF51BEFB0B5246';rsi_site = 'A0AFB18244C29F37C480E028D4FA8654';rsi_width = '300';rsi_height = '250'; The facilities that will be covered under the rule include:
• 26 community centers
• Four environmental learning centers
• 10 pools
• 30 wading pools and water play areas
• Two small-craft centers
• Two specialized facilities (tennis center, performing arts center)
• 139 playgrounds and play areas
• 213 ballfields
• Six late-night recreation sites
• Three teen-life centers
• 82 outdoor tennis and basketball courts
• Two skate parks
• Five golf courses
• Nine swimming beaches
Information from The Seattle Times archives is included in this report.[/img]

Tawnos

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Time for a good ol' fashioned court battle.
Or an OC gathering in Seattle, hopefully followed by them trying to trespass/arrest us. Then you have the police violating the right to peaceable assembly, the right to free speech, and the right to keep and bear arms.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

lets not do it on a friday. I have better things to do then spend the weekend in jail.

but we should go during the week.

then sue the city. i guess that'd be one way of getting a income during these unemployment times

tannerwaterbury

imported post

I am assuming he thinks City property is private property? He must realize, city property is paid by taxpayers money, therefore IMO he has no right to trespass a taxpayer just because they are OCing. Can anyone correct me here if I am wrong?

redboneshadow

imported post

McGinn and Mallahan aprove of this gun ban so it wont be over for a while. Would be nice to find where nickels lives in West Seattle and do an open carry protest in front of his home.

deanf

imported post

Why would you risk arrest and/or incarceration when the SAF has already said it's got test cases lined up? Unless you are specifically seeking martyrdom.

I say let SAF work its plan . . . .

They will do all the work and take all the risk for you.

Tawnos

imported post

deanf wrote:
Why would you risk arrest and/or incarceration when the SAF has already said it's got test cases lined up? Unless you are specifically seeking martyrdom.

I say let SAF work its plan . . . .

They will do all the work and take all the risk for you.
I don't enjoy the feel of an elected official pissing all over my rights. Screw martyrdom, I want to see how many people in the chain of command are willing to subject themselves to personal liability for violating my civil rights. I want to believe in society again, that it's only a few wackos like Nickels and the Seattle City Council who will so willingly violate my civil rights. And if I find that they're willing to violate my constitutional rights and violate state law under color of an ordinance, I want to sue them under 42 USC 1983 for any time I lose from work and any hardship they cause. Anything monetary that comes from such a suit will be split between the SAF, my personal expenses, and probably a new firearm to carry in the city that chose to break the law.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

"When children and families visit a Seattle Parks and Recreation pool, playground, community center or other facility, they are entitled to a reasonable expectation of safety," Mayor Greg Nickels said in a news release. "It's common sense to prohibit guns in places where kids and young adults play and learn."

---------------------------------------------------

Excuse me? Isn't that counter productive? So if something bad happens, there won't be any good guys that are armed....good job... Because clearly someone who decides to go on a shooting rampage is going to see this sign and say to themselves "Oh @#$%, I guess I cant bring a gun in here....oh well"
...Jesus :cuss::cuss:... People are idiots.

tyguy808

imported post

A quote from the SAF press release 18 Oct 2009:

"SAF has also learned that the mayor’s strategy now is apparently to have such a ban enacted by order of the director of Parks and Recreation."

He didn't even have the stones to enact his "Executive Order" like he said he would. What a tool!

swatspyder

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
A quote from the SAF press release 18 Oct 2009:

"SAF has also learned that the mayor’s strategy now is apparently to have such a ban enacted by order of the director of Parks and Recreation."

He didn't even have the stones to enact his "Executive Order" like he said he would. What a tool!
18 Oct. 2009? Link?