• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supposed new anti-gunshow billboard coming in VA

curtiswr

imported post

9932_1171478840316_1028359616_30443798_7768120_n.jpg

This was posted on GlockTalk with the post "If you had to ask, this is a photoshopped pic, but is going to be used as an anti "Gun show loophole" billboard in VA." Currently looks like the picture is hosted on a Facebook page, more than likely an anti-gun group... or I guess it could be someone's personal page.

I tried going to the web address in the image but it isn't live/registered yet. Anybody with web space and the spare change to register a domain name want to go ahead and nab it and turn it into a pro-2A/pro-gunshow website?:lol:

TFred

imported post

You gotta say, it's a monumentally dumb person to put out a graphic with a web site name if they haven't already secured it. Even if they don't want to use the site to promote their own cause, someone opposed to their cause can get it and promote against them.

TFred

nova

imported post

Any info on the source of the pic? Even if photoshopped somebody took the original pic at the gun show. If they swiped it from someone's webpage without their permission, or if some anti-gunner on the leased expo center property took the pic without the gun show's or expo center's permission, trouble might be had since they are defaming the Dullex Expo center's good name by making it seem "evil"...:?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pretty good graphic concept. Reminds me of the ones that Oleg Vok does on the pro side. If you like Oleg's stuff, you could like this one too.

curtiswr wrote:
9932_1171478840316_1028359616_30443798_7768120_n.jpg

This was posted on GlockTalk with the post "If you had to ask, this is a photoshopped pic, but is going to be used as an anti "Gun show loophole" billboard in VA." Currently looks like the picture is hosted on a Facebook page, more than likely an anti-gun group... or I guess it could be someone's personal page.

I tried going to the web address in the image but it isn't live/registered yet. Anybody with web space and the spare change to register a domain name want to go ahead and nab it and turn it into a pro-2A/pro-gunshow website?:lol:

Darroll

imported post

Now he can sue for royalties.

While the quality of the ad is good the content is ridiculous. Who would sell someone a gun at a show without knowing their name that wouldn't due it on the streets a block away if the antis get their mandatory background checks at shows? The logic fails me.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Darroll wrote:
Who can sue for royalties? Volk?

The style is not intellectual property. Oleg didn't start that style. Many people before him have used and will continue to use that style of mixing a photo with a pithy test insert.

Darroll wrote:
While the quality of the ad is good the content is ridiculous. Who would sell someone a gun at a show without knowing their name that wouldn't due it on the streets a block away if the antis get their mandatory background checks at shows?

My humble opinion is that thethe answer to this question is "LOTS."

The situational characteristics of the open market at gun shows, especially large ones, facilitate private gun sales extraordinarily more than a place "a block away."

C'mon. Everyone kinow that.

Think of it this way. Let's say you're driving up to the big hall somewhere in your state for the gun show. You are looking to maybe sell a nice pistol you don't shoot anymore and you want to buy an AR. Mebbe do a trade with some cash....

As you are nearing the hall, you see a half dozen guys hanging around the 7-11 "a block away" from the gun show.Some appear to have firearms and they're just milling about. Probabyprivate sellers. You could stop there. The venue charges $5 to park and $8 to get in. You could go there.

Which one do you choose?

Nah, there's no way out of the fact that gun shows facilitate, significantly, private gun sales.

And that, sir, means that the above photoshop job's contentcannot possibly be..."ridiculous."

Darroll wrote:
The logic fails me.
Well, it does make some sense. You're just biased against it....

curtiswr

imported post

ed wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Anybody with web space and the spare change to register a domain name want to go ahead and nab it
done :dude:

That's awesome, Ed. You truly are an amazing member of and asset to this community.

Edit: Awesome decision to redirect to the VCDL site!!! :D:D

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

TFred

imported post

HankT wrote:
Darroll wrote:
Who can sue for royalties? Volk?

The style is not intellectual property. Oleg didn't start that style. Many people before him have used and will continue to use that style of mixing a photo with a pithy test insert.
Hank, if you're going to troll, at least please try to keep up.

One of the individuals in the photo bears a recognizable resemblance to a member here. Any publisher, commercial printer, photo repository, worth their salt will not allow the use of a recognizable individual without a model's release.

That is what we're talking about. Now troll.

TFred

curtiswr