• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Should You Do?

yelohamr

imported post

If an intruder enters your home, what would you do?

I've gone over this with my wife a few times, but how it will work in an actual situation is anyones guess:

If someone breaks in, she is to call 911 and tell the 911 operator of the break-in and that I have the surviving suspect/s at gunpoint. She is then to gowait on the front porch for the deputies to arrive and tell them what I look like, i.e. "the old guy in his underwearwith the gun is my husband, NOT the intruder."

Decoligny

imported post

Too many variables involved to give one answer.

Best shot at one answer: Whateveris necessary to keep myself and my family alive.

I forget where I saw this quote, but here it is anyway: "Always have a plan to kill everyone in the place, if it becomes absolutely necessary."

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Too many variables involved to give one answer.

Best shot at one answer: Whateveris necessary to keep myself and my family alive.

I forget where I saw this quote, but here it is anyway: "Always have a plan to kill everyone in the place, if it becomes absolutely necessary."

My absolute number one rule between my wife and I (no kids) with NO exceptions is that she goes directly to and does not move fromher 'safe spot' until I give her the all clear.

If we have guests in the house she's responsible for getting them to the safe spot.

In that spot, she's guaranteed armed,has a cellphone, 2-way radioand a spare house-key attached to an unbroken glow-stick. If needed she can throwthe keyout the window to the cops...

May god look kindly upon my soul if there is ever a mistaken warrant served on my home...

Ohbjuan

imported post

"Re: May god look kindly upon my soul if there is ever a mistaken warrant served on my home... "

Yeah, I would probably be in prison if they broke into my house to serve a warrant without making sure I knew it was the police, especially since they would have no valid reason to come into my house.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Should or would? If I had a plate carrier, I'd probably wear that with a rope light threaded through the straps and plug it in after I had shot to eliminate all threats. Then when the cops come they won't see a dark silhouette to shoot in the back. They will have to do a double take; you never see criminals in lights.

:banghead:

Streetbikerr6

imported post

I have always been worried about this scenario but never thought a cop would actually shoot me like what happened the other day. I think after hearing that, I would hand cuff him to something or lock him in a room, make sure he had his gun taken away from himand tell him if he came out I would shoot him, I would then put down my gun, wait for the cops while looking at that door and tell the cops "the intruder is in that room, he may have a gun".. if the cops use bad judgement like they did on that man, atleast it will be on that man in the room and not me.

Captain_Awesome

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Should or would? If I had a plate carrier, I'd probably wear that with a rope light threaded through the straps and plug it in after I had shot to eliminate all threats. Then when the cops come they won't see a dark silhouette to shoot in the back. They will have to do a double take; you never see criminals in lights.

:banghead:
I laughed at first - just imagining a guy in a full tactical vest, pointing an M4 at a bad guy, -with colorful ropelights weaved through the MOLLE straps. But I thought about it, and it really might not be a bad idea to hang some green lightsticks on the front and back of the vest. That way, when the situation is under control, you can easily just break them.

maybe not such a bad idea? opinions?

How about a different version of Sons of Liberty's idea
"
Homeowner: "I have an intruder that I am holding at gun point. Do not enter my house or I will have to defend myself. Here are my terms: When you get to my house, I will send him out to you alive and in return, you promise not to shoot me. Anyone entering my house will be looked upon with hostile intent and I will defend myself. Do not enter my house! Do I make myself clear?"
"
Although it would probably be less safe for you, after making sure he is disarmed, you could hold him in front of you like a hostage, human shield style. I doubt any cop would attempt to make that shot. Then when the cops come, you'll agree to drop the gun, you'll both be cuffed, but eventually you can explain what happened. Maybe not ideal, but better than being shot on sight.

coolusername2007

imported post

I like this one...in some instances the lack of VERY CLEAR instructions can be hazardous to your health.

"I have an intruder that I am holding at gun point. Do not enter my house or I will have to defend myself. Here are my terms: When you get to my house, I will send him out to you alive and in return, you promise not to shoot me. Anyone entering my house will be looked upon with hostile intent and I will defend myself. Do not enter my house! Do I make myself clear?"

ETA: snipped out the previous posts to keep it short.

inbox485

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
If an intruder enters your home, what would you do?

I've gone over this with my wife a few times, but how it will work in an actual situation is anyones guess:

If someone breaks in, she is to call 911 and tell the 911 operator of the break-in and that I have the surviving suspect/s at gunpoint.  She is then to go wait on the front porch for the deputies to arrive and tell them what I look like, i.e. "the old guy in his underwear with the gun is my husband, NOT the intruder." 

There is another thread about a man being shot by the police while holding an intruder at gun point. His wife claims to have gone outside and led the officer in explaining that her husband had the intruder at gun point. The rookie cop put six rounds in the guy's back as he and the wife screamed that he was the home owner. The intruder was un-harmed. The rookie was cleared of wrong doing.

Not saying yours is a bad plan (IFAIK it is as good as it gets if you are holding a live one), but you are safer showing the police where the body is, or learning how to use zip ties and using them.

yelohamr

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
...but you are safer showing the police where the body is, or learning how to use zip ties and using them.
40 years ago this month, I was in the police academy and I still have my S&W handcuffs...that have been on a lot of wrists.

chewy352

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
...but you are safer showing the police where the body is, or learning how to use zip ties and using them.
40 years ago this month, I was in the police academy and I still have my S&W handcuffs...that have been on a lot of wrists.
Hey yelohamr I believe you said before that you were a CA LEO. Is there any law regarding civilian use of handcuffs?

yelohamr

imported post

I was a LEO in Missouri for 8 years, then I spent3 years at Camp Pendleton as an MP. Another 13 as an a civilian detective there.

I don't know about reglations for handcuffs, but I think the fur-lined ones are legal.:lol:

As long as you handcuff a bad guy and wait for the police, you're in effect making a legal arrest, so there shouldn't be any problem.

chewy352

imported post

I should get some hot pink fur lined ones just to humiliate the bg lol. I think ill get some of the zip tie cuffs that way if I do stop an intruder I can restrain them and holster.

inbox485

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
I was a LEO in Missouri for 8 years, then I spent3 years at Camp Pendleton as an MP. Another 13 as an a civilian detective there.

I don't know about reglations for handcuffs, but I think the fur-lined ones are legal.:lol:

As long as you handcuff a bad guy and wait for the police, you're in effect making a legal arrest, so there shouldn't be any problem.
Unlawful detainment could fetch you a kidnapping related charge, but it wouldn't matter if the detainment was at gun point or with cuffs/zips/rope/etc. There's nothing against handcuffs for civilians in CA, I only suggested zip ties because they are cheaper and less mall ninja.

inbox485

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
I should get some hot pink fur lined ones just to humiliate the bg lol. I think ill get some of the zip tie cuffs that way if I do stop an intruder I can restrain them and holster.
I've heard a story about just that. The officers (with the cuff's former owner's well wishes) took the perp to booking in them. Said they didn't want to risk re-cuffing the guy outside of a controlled area.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

gutshot wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Just last week Louisville (KY) Metro Police shot an unarmed home owner who had called in a burglary at his home. The perp was long gone.
Interesting..... Link???
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courier_journal/access/1887182761.html?FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&fmac=3377d74fcad3049323aa85d75986e6c2&date=Oct+26%2C+2009&author=Jessie+Halladay&pub=&desc=Officer+in+Portland+shooting+identified
Reminds me of a term I think was coined by some TV show. Viral behavior. People see one criminal get away with something, then they do the same thing, and it spreads, the more people hear about it, the more people do the same thing.