• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

macomb county gun board question

MrBfromD

imported post

Hey, i was wondering about the gun board meeetings, are they open or closed?

The reason I ask is because i finally filled my paperwork :celebrate and would like to sit in on one of the meetings before i have to go before them in December.

I would really like to know what I am walking into so if anyone can tell me about there experiences I would appreciate it.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I believe that the Michigan Open Meetings Act requires them to be announced and you should be able to go. I have a friend from work that just got his from Macomb County recently (he and I were talking about what he might get asked). I will ask for his experience and post here once received (maybe even get him to come post it here himself).

MrBfromD

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
I believe that the Michigan Open Meetings Act requires them to be announced and you should be able to go.  I have a friend from work that just got his from Macomb County recently (he and I were talking about what he might get asked).  I will ask for his experience and post here once received (maybe even get him to come post it here himself).

Thanks that would be great, if anyone else wants to chime in feel free.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Macomb board meetings are open.You have to call for time.It's at the courthouse in Mount Clemens. They hold it in a room with about 20 or so chairs.It was packed when I went in January.

Yooper

imported post

Can't you go to one earlier? When my brother applied, he went to the gun board meeting which happened to be the following week. They had not received his fingerprints back, but approved him providing that nothing they would want to question came back on his background.

MrBfromD

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Can't you go to one earlier?   When my brother applied, he went to the gun board meeting which happened to be the following week.  They had not received his fingerprints back, but approved him providing that nothing they would want to question came back on his background. 

Was this in macomb county? If so how did he get on the "roster" or whatever they call it? I know they got my prints back so that shouldn't be an issue. If I can go sooner that would be great too. Still wondering though what everone was asked when they went. Is it just a formality or more of an interogation?

Yooper

imported post

MrBfromD wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Can't you go to one earlier? When my brother applied, he went to the gun board meeting which happened to be the following week. They had not received his fingerprints back, but approved him providing that nothing they would want to question came back on his background.

Was this in macomb county? If so how did he get on the "roster" or whatever they call it? I know they got my prints back so that shouldn't be an issue. If I can go sooner that would be great too. Still wondering though what everone was asked when they went. Is it just a formality or more of an interogation?
Houghton County, their requirement is that you show up for 1 gun board meeting after you turn in your application. If there's a meeting the day after you turn your app in, you can go to that one, or to one 2 months later, just as long as you show up at 1

Haman J.T.

imported post

MrBfromD wrote:
Yooper wrote:

In Macomb county they ask why you want a CPL,everyone answers" for personal protection". If you have anything on your record they will ask you about it. Be prepared. Those who obviously have no record were given their license after they answered that question.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

I have gone through Macomb county. Finding a place to park was the hardest part.

Each person is called to the front of the room and asked the same questions. You will have ample opportunity to think about your answers to the questions you will be asked. (And hear everyone else's)

DanM

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Each person is called to the front of the room and asked the same questions. You will have ample opportunity to think about your answers to the questions you will be asked. (And hear everyone else's)
Unless you are the first one called, right? :)

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

You get a time assigned to be there. When I was there, it appeared they were having people in all day long so folks were constantly coming and going in the room. Unless you are literally the first one of the day, you should have ample time to think about your answers.

MrBfromD

imported post

Thanks everyone, I have nothing on my record so it should be fine, I have just heard too many horror stories about the board so I figured I would ask.

hopefully it goes well, thanks again.

Yooper

imported post

Wow, if your record is clean, they don't ask anything up here. They call your name, so they can see if your present, then the 3 look over the application real quick, and have a motion to approve. Then your done. It literally takes about a minute once they call your name.

Well, they couldn't find my background check info, as they mis-filed it, so when they asked me if there is a reason that it wasn't there, I told them "Maybe it's still printing off"....they all got a laugh out of it. Then the deputy found it, and I was on my way out.

dsmith4825

imported post

I just went through the process recently and all they really ask are,

Why you want the CPL; Personal Protection

Have you ever been arrested for a felony: No

Have you been in the Military: Yes

They look over your app to verify, you must also produce your drivers license.

They hand you your permit and out you go. There is a video on the Clerks website that will fill you in on the basic questions if you want to look at it.

MrBfromD

imported post

dsmith4825 wrote:
I just went through the process recently and all they really ask are,

Why you want the CPL; Personal Protection

Have you ever been arrested for a felony: No

Have you been in the Military: Yes

They look over your app to verify, you must also produce your drivers license.

They hand you your permit and out you go. There is a video on the Clerks website that will fill you in on the basic questions if you want to look at it.

Hey thanks, I saw the video, but since they made it I wasn't too sure how accurate it was. I've had people tell me they had problems because of speeding tickets. I guess it's just all hype. Thanks again