• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Burlington ky resident, few questions?

21bravo

imported post

Hello everyone!! I am new to being a member but i have read alot of posts on here for a while. I just recently purchased my first handgun, it is a Kel Tech PF-9 with od green grip, an outstanding weapon but more on the terms of concealment. My questions are as follows:

1. How is OC viewed in the area of florence and burlington? By police?
2. Can you oc at the wal mart in florence?
3.As being a veteran and current member of the Army Reserves, to get my ccw do I still have to take the class or can I go directly to the Sheriffs office and pay the app fee and get my ccw?
4. What forms will I need? dd214? ID?
and last but not least, any other OCers in the area?

Thank you all for your time and patience!!

sawhitt

imported post

21bravo wrote:
Hello everyone!! I am new to being a member but i have read alot of posts on here for a while. I just recently purchased my first handgun, it is a Kel Tech PF-9 with od green grip, an outstanding weapon but more on the terms of concealment. My questions are as follows:

1. How is OC viewed in the area of florence and burlington? By police?
2. Can you oc at the wal mart in florence?
3.As being a veteran and current member of the Army Reserves, to get my ccw do I still have to take the class or can I go directly to the Sheriffs office and pay the app fee and get my ccw?
4. What forms will I need? dd214? ID?
and last but not least, any other OCers in the area?

Thank you all for your time and patience!!

1. Some cops will not mind, some will. Human nature. Carry your drivers license for I.D. in case a cop asks you for it and carry on. Go here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/15867.html Print it and carry it if it'll make you feel better informed about your rights in KY.

Localities cannot regulate anything to do with firearms according to both the KY Constitution and KRS. That right is specifically reserved by the Commonwealth.

2. Unless otherwise posted, you may legally OC almost anywhere. Bars, schools and school grounds, daycare facilities, and many government offices and buildings are off limits to OC.

3. You must take the class, apply, and wait for your CCDW.

4. (I assume that this is for your CCDW.) You'll need your I.D. Depending on your local sheriff's attitude, you may need to prove residency for the past 6 months. (I've heard of this happening, but have not observed it.)

I'm no authority, but I do keep my eyes and ears open, read a ton and do my best to absorb and digest the information I receive.

langzaiguy

imported post

I'd just like to quickly amend something alwynsw has told you.

1. You don't NEED to carry ID with you if you are ONLY going to be OCing and not CCing.

2. There are NO government buildings EXCEPT courtrooms that ban OC (they may ban CC).

21bravo

imported post

Thank you guys for the info, i called the sheriffs department and they told me unless My Military Occupational Specialty was an MP then i would still have to take the class. Also that link posted said URL not found??? Once again thank you guys for the info, and i did print off the popular open carry laws brochure and posted it where i work and at my Unit in Ft. Thomas. Alot of guys and gals dont know that Open carry is legal in kentucky in my unit and at work. thanks for listening guys

sawhitt

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I'd just like to quickly amend something alwynsw has told you.

1. You don't NEED to carry ID with you if you are ONLY going to be OCing and not CCing.

2. There are NO government buildings EXCEPT courtrooms that ban OC (they may ban CC).

1. True. You don't meed to carry ID, but it's a darned fine idea. Proving your identity to the satisfaction of a cop who may question or harass you about OC with a handy dandy government-issued ID beats the heck out of being detained while an overzealous LEO determines who you are.

2. Please check again. The Daviess County Judicial Center (for one) in Owensboro bans all firearms, pocket knives, clubs, etc. It houses Driver Licensing, Clerk's offices and several others in addition to court rooms.

langzaiguy

imported post

alwynsw: Please check your sign again. Our preemption law stipulates that the local fiscal court may regulate CC only in public owned buildings. Even then, there is no penalty for breaking the CC rule, they can only ask you to leave.

If the sign truly does ban all forms of carry, this is an illegal sign and it must be dealt with.

From what I understand, judges may ban firearms from their courtrooms. The entire building, however, can not exclude OC.

jaegan

imported post

Unfortunately this sort of thinking seems to be cropping up a lot lately in local governments. I've read of a few that apparently need reminding that they can only regulate _concealed_ carry, over the last couple months. :(