Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro-Gun Movies

Post Pro-Gun Movies

I have been trying to find good pro gun movies, where the hero is a civilian/non-leo who uses a weapon to defend himself or others, or movies where gun rights are mentioned in a positive light.

So far:

Red Dawn
    No Country for Old Men (really awesome use of a water logged 1911)

Post imported post

Unforgiven - local tyrant puts up "no guns" signs, but uses his own armed thugs to enforce "teh lawr". Eastwood must take up arms after laying them down, in doing so violating prohibition against bearing, to bring justice and freedom back to town.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - anti-gun Jimmy Stewart's character learns that being peaceable is next to useless without the means to defend peace

Gran Torino - "Get off my lawn."

Edit: Shooter - you have to see the ending to believe it.

Further edit: Open Range - Kevin Costner is supposed to be anti-gun, but the film has a decidedly pro-2nd amendment flavor to it.

Post imported post

Lord of War - Also promotes free trade:celebrate

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    Lord of War - Also promotes free trade:celebrate
    I hope I'm not going out on a limb here but I always felt Lord of War was ant-gun.

Post imported post

Well, maybe it wasnt the best "pro-gun" movie. It was dealing with the black market side of weapons.

I guess i just liked it cause he worked the "gray" area of the law like nobody else.

Post imported post

The Holy Mad Max Trinity.

-Gruu

Post imported post

Shoot'em Up with Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci's amazing...uh...grips..heh...

Uber-Campy movie to the max, but with a kicka$$ soundtrack bottomless magazines, and lots and lots of gunplay, how can ya not like it?!?!?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Y'all forgot the one which has become a cult movie for the gun culture.

"Red Dawn"

And to some degree, "Shane".

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    Shoot'em Up with Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci's amazing...uh...grips..heh...

Uber-Campy movie to the max, but with a kicka$$ soundtrack bottomless magazines, and lots and lots of gunplay, how can ya not like it?!?!?
    Aside from it being the most smugly British anti-gun movie I've ever seen in my entire life?

How about a nonexistent plot, worse acting, and inane, seppuku-inducing jokes? How about a screenplay which is patronizing and condescending, all while maintaining utter puerility throughout?

Post imported post

Wasn't there another Eastwood movie where the town had outlawed gun ownership and was now overrun by thugs?

But I think to a certain extent you have to exclude Westerns because that is where folks get the idea that bearing arms is a relic of a bygone era.

Mad Max doesn't count because Max is/was a LEO.

There aren't many, because the "Gatekeepers" that determine what we see or read think that civilian ownership and use of guns is unbelievable.

Other than Red Dawn, I can't offhand think of any movie involving firearms where the hero isn't current or former LEO/Military/Spy.

Although there may be others, I only know if one novel that fills that bill

Post imported post

Daddyo wrote:
    Wasn't there another Eastwood movie where the town had outlawed gun ownership and was now overrun by thugs?
    "Unforgiven". Gene Hackman's sheriff character was so violent and corrupt, he should have had a checkerboad hatband on his Stetson.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

"Tremors". It's probably THE most pro-gun movie I've ever seen.

"Last Man Standing". The corrupt sheriff, played by Bruce Dern, advises hitman Bruce Willis to get a gun.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

There is always that movie about assassins "Wanted". That was pretty good.

Post imported post

Boondock Saints?I think pro- second ammendment though alot of people criticise it because it suppossedly"promotes" vigilanteism.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Quigley Down Under

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

Zombieland !

The opening scene explains, In zombie land you need to "Get a gun and learn how to use it!"

Also the protagonist has these "rules" and Rule#4: Doubletap
    He explains that when you've shot a zombie and you want to be sure he's dead, it's no time to be stingy with your ammo

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/zombieland/

Post imported post

Pro-gun movie? Well, just look at my avatar.

Magua say theYan-gee make very nice Brown Bess guns, but Long Rifle's Pennsylvania Rifle is better.

Post imported post

I forgot "The Patriot"! "Aim small, miss small."

That movie made blood shoot from the eyes of the antis! "He gave guns to CHILDRENNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"

Post imported post

Death Wish. Charles Bronson/NYC/1970s. Perfect.

Post imported post

bad_ace wrote:
    Zombieland !

The opening scene explains, In zombie land you need to "Get a gun and learn how to use it!"

Also the protagonist has these "rules" and Rule#4: Doubletap
    He explains that when you've shot a zombie and you want to be sure he's dead, it's no time to be stingy with your ammo

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/zombieland/
    I was hoping someone would say this one!

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:

That movie made blood shoot from the eyes of the antis! "He gave guns to CHILDRENNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"
    I thought that movie was cheesy and played too fast and loose with history, but that one scene made it worth the ticket.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Deanimator wrote:

I thought that movie was cheesy and played too fast and loose with history, but that one scene made it worth the ticket.
    I had forgotten that one in a pro-gun context. I have to admit thatwas one of my favorite lines, too. The kidwhispering it to himself as he drew a bead on a redcoat.

My otherfavorite lines:

"We came to the right place." (thebeginning of the tavern recruiting scene right after he shouts 'God save King George.')

"If I am going to die, I want to die well-dressed." (the French officer the morning of the climactic battle)

And who can forget actor Jason Issacs, the consumate villain, playing Col. Tavington, "The village? No. Burn the church."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Deanimator wrote:
    I forgot "The Patriot"!* "Aim small, miss small."

That movie made blood shoot from the eyes of the antis!* "He gave guns to CHILDRENNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"*
    I detest Gibson's ever-present historical revisionism.

Braveheart and The Patriot rank #1 and 2, respectively.

To be honest, the man has become so ridiculous, the last time I watched The Patriot (for some reason I bought the DVD) I basically laughed from start to finish.

What an absurd pile of ****.

Good fight scenes, though. No denying that.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    Deanimator wrote:

I detest Gibson's ever-present historical revisionism.

Braveheart and The Patriot rank #1 and 2, respectively.

To be honest, the man has become so ridiculous, the last time I watched The Patriot (for some reason I bought the DVD) I basically laughed from start to finish.

What an absurd pile of @#$%.

Good fight scenes, though. No denying that.
    Well, except for the fact that the fictional Lt. Col. Tavington (modeled on the real-life SOB Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton) never missed when firing at moving horsemen at extreme range with his flintlock pistol, and the magic musket reloading rates, and the giant cannon fielded by the British army, which looked a bit too heavy for field peices and more like garrison or naval guns, yeah, the action was okay.

The main characters in the film are modeled after real people, and the battles are based on real events, but the whole glossing over of slavery was silly, especially the white landowner having a wedding on the beech with a black family. That was hard to swallow.

Also over the top was the church-burning scene. Tarleton is regarded as one of the worst war criminals of the Revolution, and even he would never have have done anything so horrific; he was best known for a rumor that he executed American POWs after they surrendered. The British army was known for burning towns down, notably Charleston in the battle of Bunker Hill and numerous coastal raids, but they never locked the residents inside and forced them to burn to death.

To be fair, Tavington was leading American loyalists in the film, and the war was used by many Southerners as a cover for settling old scores and feuds. Many people's houses and barns were burned down under the guise of guerilla action against enemy supporters.

To be honest, I thought the movie was about Waco, since the FBI committed a similar atrocity. Gibson was clearly pushing people's buttons about freedom, and was not above embellishing historical facts to illustrate it.

Okay, enough overanalyzing Mel Gibson. Back to pro-gun movies. One of the things I remember abouot the Death Wish films was a scene in which the cops confiscate a revolver used by an elderly couple to defend themselves from intruders, which of course leads to their death by the intruders. These films bludgeoned the audience over the head with the pro-gun, anti-crime message.

Post imported post

By "good" I didn't mean "bearing an uncharacteristic historical accuracy". :P

I was thinking more along the lines of tomahawks wielded in battle against redcoats being the epitome of badassery.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast