• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what would you do?

would you risk your life to help another?

• Yes i would

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure if i would

• I probably would not

• I definately would not

• Total voters

KansasMustang

imported post

All Y'all I think have read way too much into the question. It simply stated would you risk your life to save someone. I did that for 25 years. Of course my life wasn't ALWAYS on the line for my country but potentially it was. You have to watch the situations and act accordingly.

The first riteous shoot that happened in kansas was 17 days after the concealed carry law took affect. January 17th 2007. A man from Oklahoma had just fueled at a convenience store in Topeka and walked in to pay. The place was being robbed at gunpoint. He drew and fired killing the Perp. Was his life also at risk? yup. Did he possibly save the life of another? Yup. Cops came, took his statement and the statement of the clerk, and told him, Have a nice day :)

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
For Joe Schmo Stranger, I have a cell phone with a camera. I'd call the police, and if possible/safe, take video of the situation until they got there. Being a good witness is better than being in jail for not knowing the situation, IMO. I'm not a "sheepdog".

Ask the Mayor of Milwaukee how that scenario worked out for him!! the story is in blue below this sentence.

MayorBarrett was leaving the Wisconsin state fair with his sister, niece and two daughters when he heard a woman crying for help. Barrett, who was walking to his car, instructed his sister to take the children out of harms way, then confronted the man and tried to calm him.
When Barrett took out his mobile phone to call authorities, the man attacked him with a pipe, police said. Barrett's niece retrieved the phone and called police. The attacker fled upon hearing police sirens.

The suspect was arrested 13 hours later. Police said the attacker did not know who Barrett was. The assault occurred in West Allis, a Milwaukee suburb
He lived through his "I'm calling the police" intervention, buthe losta few teeth, along with somestitches and broken bones.

My feeling that are if you are not willing to be inured or die defending someone you do not know, Don't do it unless you are ready, willing, and able to take another persons life by shooting the person. And to face the consequences for doing so.
The police tend to get really reallypissed-off when you are forced to do their job for them.

Wangmuf

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
For Joe Schmo Stranger, I have a cell phone with a camera. I'd call the police, and if possible/safe, take video of the situation until they got there. Being a good witness is better than being in jail for not knowing the situation, IMO. I'm not a "sheepdog".

Ask the Mayor of Milwaukee how that scenario worked out for him!! the story is in blue below this sentence.

MayorBarrett was leaving the Wisconsin state fair with his sister, niece and two daughters when he heard a woman crying for help. Barrett, who was walking to his car, instructed his sister to take the children out of harms way, then confronted the man and tried to calm him.
When Barrett took out his mobile phone to call authorities, the man attacked him with a pipe, police said. Barrett's niece retrieved the phone and called police. The attacker fled upon hearing police sirens.

The suspect was arrested 13 hours later. Police said the attacker did not know who Barrett was. The assault occurred in West Allis, a Milwaukee suburb
He lived through his "I'm calling the police" intervention, buthe losta few teeth, along with somestitches and broken bones.

My feeling that are if you are not willing to be inured or die defending someone you do not know, Don't do it unless you are ready, willing, and able to take another persons life by shooting the person. And to face the consequences for doing so.
The police tend to get really reallypissed-off when you are forced to do their job for them.

Check bold in blue. At this point, it becomes a self-defense situation. The aggressor against me is readily identifiable. He'll be dealt with with the proper amount of force. Since I only carry a 4" backup knife and a handgun, not a "pipe", I'd have to shoot this guy to defend myself.

That's not coming to the defense of another, as the OP states. That's using a handgun in the manner I carry. Defense of myself (or loved one, which I also answered in my first post in this thread).

Edit: Did the mayor, walking up on this situation as an outside party, know who the aggressor was? Or was that made evident after he made a call to 911 and the pipe was turned on him?

Edit 2: Was the mayor legally carrying a firearm? Apparently not, since it took 13hrs for the suspect to be arrested.

jay75009

imported post

usualy if i come apon a violent situation and try to defuse it without my weaponand get attacked, its pretty clear to me who the agressor is . at that point the weapon will probably be deployed and trained on said moron

Wangmuf

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
usualy if i come apon a violent situation and try to defuse it without my weaponand get attacked, its pretty clear to me who the agressor is . at that point the weapon will probably be deployed and trained on said moron

I don't try to defuse violent situations I just happen across that I'm not a part of. I don't get paid to potentially get injured in another person's fight, nor will someone else pay my medical bills if I do. I think this is what the crux of your question comes down to.

I spend too many breaths telling people who ask, because I carry a gun, that I'm not a cop to try to act like one.

As has been stated, the question is way too broad to give a specific "yes, always" or "No, NEVER" answer to. At least, for me, it is.

Edit: I deleted usually from the first sentence of my reply.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm likely going to disappoint you some. You are reacting to stimuli with assumptions and IMO stepped off the curb without looking - no insult intended.

The OP while posted to an OCDO thread never mentioned or even suggested the use of deadly force or BG or guns or anything of the kind. The predilection of where you are (OCDO) and how you might respond couched in the terms commonly used here has limited most to a very narrow field of view.

A small child falls out of a boat - would you risk your life to save the child?

A pregnant woman falls while crossing a busy street - might you risk your life to save her?

A driver is unconscious in a burning vehicle - would you try to save him?

OK, there are still lots of unknowns, but my point is that not everything centers around whether we are pro gun/self-defense or not.

There are many other facets to our lives. We need to maintain clarity of vision and not be focused by our blinders. Just MHO. YMMV.

Yata hey

SlackwareRobert

imported post

If it is a bunch of crips/bloods about to remove a ms13 from the planet,
I can keep walking and sleep well at night.
If I ran across that richmond gathering in CA, I would empty at least
35 rounds into the thugs also without loosing a minutes sleep.
Keeping the other 2 mags in reserve.
So if you are going to engage in consensual GR, don't do so in my neighborhood.
That way there are no misunderstandings.

My wife already knows that I do not consent to organ donations, only
because I cannot restrict them from helping a murderer or political hack.
I couldn't live with myself if my heart was used to keep Jesse Jackson alive,
and so must deprive a worthy person also. It s*cks but I can sleep at night.

To better narrow the question.....
Do you give a drowning person your life vest when you attended the safety
meeting as required and they skipped it? It is also a matter of choice,
if they decide they like being a victim you must respect their wishes at some point.
Do you go on a ledge to stop a suicide? Or do you shove him hard so he clears
the playground and children directly below.
Which person is more deserving of being saved?

Very few things are cut and dry, if they were we wouldn't need 30 pages
to say don't phone and drive if you are a government employee.:lol:
It's all those gray areas that make life worth living despite wanting to
text the president what he can do with his ideas while driving down the road.

Myself I am woefully unprepared for total darkness gym attack, but am now
working on rectifying this lack of training. Never more proud of son then
him asking if they served liquor in the "dialog in the dark" bar exhibit in
atlanta. He didn't want me in trouble, at his age and running into walls
with his cane he had presence of mind to question any possible breaking of laws. :lol:
Yes, I feel completely safe that he will grow up being a responsible OC'ing citizen.:celebrate
Sadly couldn't spare the time for a quick MARTA experience.:X

autosurgeon

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm likely going to disappoint you some.  You are reacting to stimuli with assumptions and IMO stepped off the curb without looking - no insult intended.

The OP while posted to an OCDO thread never mentioned or even suggested the use of deadly force or BG or guns or anything of the kind.  The predilection of where you are (OCDO) and how you might respond couched in the terms commonly used here has limited most to a very narrow field of view.

A small child falls out of a boat - would you risk your life to save the child?

A pregnant woman falls while crossing a busy street - might you risk your life to save her?

A driver is unconscious in a burning vehicle -  would you try to save him?

OK, there are still lots of unknowns, but my point is that not everything centers around whether we are pro gun/self-defense or not. 

There are many other facets to our lives.  We need to maintain clarity of vision and not be focused by our blinders.   Just MHO.  YMMV.

Yata hey

This is how I took it as well.... and yes I would as I have emergency medical training and would want another to do the same for me so I will pay it forward so to speak...

In that case of an instance where I am not sure what is transpiring and a gun is involved I am going to be a good witness... If I am sure what is going on IE I was there when the crap started then I will take whatever action seems prudent even if that means drawing and firing.

Capn Camo

imported post

why isnt the attackee able to defend him/herself?

That question, along with some hard thinking, might convince more people to carry or take self defense classes.

Some States have "good Samaritan" laws, Ohio is one of them. We cannot stand idly by while someone in in danger and not do something, or risk being charged with contributing to it.

The term comes from the Bible where no one but the Samaritan would stop and help an injured man, and he went out of his way to do so by even buying the injured man room and board at an Inn.

The WA Constitution reads "...defense of self and the State" for what its worth.

lonewolf2810

imported post

There are so many ways to look at and define this question. When I went to my CCW class this was one of the topics and there is no correct way to look at it. If you walk up on a situation say it be between a man and a woman, what do you do? This is a very thin line when it comes to using a weapon so be very careful and do not jump to conclusions.

First of all do you know if this is a husband and wife dispute or is it a guy trying to hurt an innocent victim, this you have to ask yourself. If you intervene in a domestic dispute then you are responsible for what ever they say and it is THEIR word against yours. I would call the police and try to keep the subjects at bay and let the law sort it out. Now if I were to be threatened then I draw down and subdue the peeps until the police gets there. That is not to say don't shoot but do you really want to do something you have to deal with the rest of your life? only if I have no choice. I myself will stand up for what is right and do what I can to help anyone, but I will not just draw down on a person unless I see there is no other choice. And remember this never draw and point your weapon unless you are prepared to use it to its full capacity.

This is my take on the subject just as you have stated yours so lets not start a bashing match and respect others views as we do yours.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
Some States have "good Samaritan" laws, Ohio is one of them. We cannot stand idly by while someone in in danger and not do something, or risk being charged with contributing to it.
False.

You are incorrect in your understanding of Good Samaritan laws. They do not require you to help. Their purpose is to protect a "good Samaritan" from liability in a civil action due to their best efforts to help a victim.

From http://www.cprinstructor.com/OH-GS.htm
No person shall be liable in civil damages for administering emergency care or treatment at the scene of an emergency outside of a hospital, doctor's office, or other place having proper medical equipment, for acts performed at the scene of such emergency, unless such acts constitute willful or wanton misconduct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_laws also has some summaries of common features in Good Samaritan laws.

Sabotage70

imported post

Ok, here's a video for ya. This was shown to us in my CC class. This video is real. It happened on the corner of Las Vegas blvd and Sahara in Las Vegas, NV.

Warning:Very harsh language. Lots of motherf&#@er's. If your virgin ears can't handle that kind of language. Hit the mute button before clicking the link. You can get the jest of the video without the volume.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/825046/

Now that you've watched it. Would you done something if you're in the white SUV or any of the other cars around the blue PT Cruiser. According to the CC instructor that would be a "clean shoot."

Sabotage70

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Of course its a clean shoot. @#$% him up. If god is smiling that day maybe one round doesn't expand, goes straight through and hits the ass hole camera man.
+1 LMAO I wish we had more smilies to give you a thumbs up.
He explained to us that you don't know what he's going to do next. He could very well turn on you and cause harm to you or your family.
Sense the guy in the PT Cruiser was obviously unarmed, I think he should have hit the gass and slammed the guy into the car in front of him.

Sabotage70

imported post

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but here is another video. This one has to do with knowing what had transpired before you happened upon the scene. At the end of the video it appears that the wrong guy is being held back.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=777_1248976373&p=1

I personally wish the "gangsta" would have gotten his teeth bashed in by the skateboard. And maybe a few broken ribs thrown in for good measure.

M

McX

imported post

An interesting thread to read, and think about! I've already had to caution my friends that when I am Open Carrying (or CC), that I am NOT a phone booth. They can't duck in by me, if they start something, or something starts on them. My firearm exists for my protection. If they feel strongly that they need protection, they should OC. Kinda prompting them to poop or get off the pot- so to speak.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but here is another video. This one has to do with knowing what had transpired before you happened upon the scene. At the end of the video it appears that the wrong guy is being held back.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=777_1248976373&p=1

I personally wish the "gangsta" would have gotten his teeth bashed in by the skateboard. And maybe a few broken ribs thrown in for good measure.
And yet your name is Sabotage.:idea:

okboomer

imported post

Another fine example of a brain damaged drug addict. On the bright side, he would probably be stoooopid enough to try to attack someone OCing just because he could. Hopefully, when the smoke cleared, he would be down for the count.

lonewolf2810

imported post

I can say this he is one lucky so called bad guy lol. He is lucky that one of the skateboarders did not take the gun and pop a cap in him and his buddy. The ass whipping is the best thing that happen to them. They just thought they were BA's.