Thread: Tactical Training in NoVa

Post imported post

I am interested in some tactical/self-defense training in the Northern Va area. Does anyone have any recommendation or experiences with these type of training classes? Thanks.

Post imported post

Silver Eagle Group would be one place

Post imported post

John Murphy runs: http://www.fpftraining.com/
    I took his Minuteman Rifle course in Culpeper last year and it ramped you up w/ all the basics of rifle managment and tactical moves (positioning, transition to pistol, utilizing cover, etc).
    Prices are pretty good too.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Silver Eagle Group would be one place
    I second this.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

John Murphy: http://www.fpftraining.com/

I've taken a couple classes from him. I enjoyed them and learned a lot.

Your Humble Servant,
    useful_idiot

Post imported post

Thanks for the responses. I've gotten the phone numbers of both places and am going to call them tomorrow.

Post imported post

I second John Murphy.

Why are you looking for "tactical" training? Do you want to join the local LEO and become a SWAT member?

John has some very solid self defense training, including within- and less-than-kissing-distance situations. He also knows how to accommodate folks with physical handicaps while bringing the up to as much speed and skill as they can possibly achieve.

Not that there are not other good trainers out there. I just don't know of them from personal experience.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Why are you looking for "tactical" training? Do you want to join the local LEO and become a SWAT member?
    I should have said self defense. Just trying to make sure I fully understand how, when, why, etc. to use the handgun to protect myself and my family.

Post imported post

The Appleseed Project, which teaches people how to be true riflemen.
    If you are interested in this great project, here is the website:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    I really wish they had a long-range appleseed close to here!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

We have some training classes that you may find interesting - www.proactiveshooters.com
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:

I really wish they had a long-range appleseed close to here!
    They do...well...6 hours south. You should go to their home range and shoot their pop-ups. It's well worth the trip.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    I took his Minuteman Rifle course in Culpeper last year and it ramped you up w/ all the basics of rifle managment and tactical moves (positioning, transition to pistol, utilizing cover, etc).
    Their handgun courses look pretty tempting. I'm going to have to call and find out why they don't allow SERPA's, though, as I'd like to train how I carry.

Post imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    Their handgun courses look pretty tempting. I'm going to have to call and find out why they don't allow SERPA's, though, as I'd like to train how I carry.
    Look at his Blog. He has an entry that describes his issues with SERPA's

Post imported post

John Murphy is good to go.

For unarmed self-defense training, www.kravmaganova.com

Post imported post

I suggest you take a look at www.nra.org under training and education, and find the "personal protection in the home" and "personal protection outside the home" courses being given in your area.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    I second John Murphy.

Why are you looking for "tactical" training?* Do you want to join the local LEO and become a SWAT member? ...
    That word bothered me, too. There is a big, really really big difference, between tactical use of deadly force and defensive use of deadly force. Unless you need to serve search or arrest warrants in crack houses at two a.m. on a regular basis, and need to be able to intimidate possible suspects (i.e., by the offensive use of deadly force), then you don't need tactical training.

A person whose interest is in personal protection has a much simpler decision: pull the gun and shoot to kill, or don't even act as though you've got a gun. It's that much a binary choice. Unless you are faced with an imminent threat of serious bodily harm, you've got no reason to make any reference to the gun at all. Cops who are in the process of arresting dangerous felons have a really different set of criteria (though the rules are basically the same).
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    Though I've only communicated with John via a few e-mails, he does offer the following explanation regarding the Serpa (my daily carry holster as well):

I do not allow the Serpa for several reasons. I ran a class right after they came out. This course involved some ground fighting techniques. A pebble lodged in the release mechanism of the holster and that gun would not come out for love nor money.

Secondly, to release the mechanism you have to mash down on a button with your trigger finger. In a stress situation it is very, very easy to continue that mash onto the trigger, and prematurely fire a bullet.

Third, I don't advocate retention systems for concealed carry. I don't need to prevent my pistol from being taken from me if no one knows I have it. (Though a good holster does need to retain your weapon if you're tussling on the ground.) I have seen people literally try to lift themselves off the ground while drawing from these holsters...because they didn't release the mechanism.

Finally, some of these holsters, if you put the gun in backwards, will not release the weapon. Why would you put the weapon into the holster backwards? That is a technique for reloading the pistol if you are reduced to having just your weak hand.

At any rate, I'm not the only instructor that is banning the Serpa from their courses. A little "Googlefu" will reveal that is pretty much a standard policy.
    John comes highly recommended, and he's local for me so I'm looking forward to his training sometime. He did take the time to explain his personal opinion and I respect that.

Googling the issue does uncover a bit of controversy, though...

Post imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
    Googling the issue does uncover a bit of controversy, though...
    Definitely, especially since, like every other decent manufacturer in the world, they're always improving their product. The system that failed for John "right after they came out" is no longer produced.

An open, objective mind is a marvelous thing.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

Suarez International is now in Winchester and the also ban the SERPA.

I have never taken a course from them so do not know anything about them but what is on their site.
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Post imported post

Sig Sauer operates/trains at Range 82 in Midland, VA. Their webiste is www.sigsauer.com/. There is a link to Range 82 from there or here is their link www.range82.com.