• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Training in NoVa

jsfrederick

imported post

I am interested in some tactical/self-defense training in the Northern Va area. Does anyone have any recommendation or experiences with these type of training classes? Thanks.

ufcfanvt

imported post

John Murphy runs: http://www.fpftraining.com/
I took his Minuteman Rifle course in Culpeper last year and it ramped you up w/ all the basics of rifle managment and tactical moves (positioning, transition to pistol, utilizing cover, etc).
Prices are pretty good too.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I second John Murphy.

Why are you looking for "tactical" training? Do you want to join the local LEO and become a SWAT member?

John has some very solid self defense training, including within- and less-than-kissing-distance situations. He also knows how to accommodate folks with physical handicaps while bringing the up to as much speed and skill as they can possibly achieve.

Not that there are not other good trainers out there. I just don't know of them from personal experience.

stay safe.

skidmark

jsfrederick

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Why are you looking for "tactical" training? Do you want to join the local LEO and become a SWAT member?
I should have said self defense. Just trying to make sure I fully understand how, when, why, etc. to use the handgun to protect myself and my family.

230therapy

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
The Appleseed Project, which teaches people how to be true riflemen.
If you are interested in this great project, here is the website:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I really wish they had a long-range appleseed close to here!
They do...well...6 hours south. You should go to their home range and shoot their pop-ups. It's well worth the trip.

Wangmuf

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
I took his Minuteman Rifle course in Culpeper last year and it ramped you up w/ all the basics of rifle managment and tactical moves (positioning, transition to pistol, utilizing cover, etc).

Their handgun courses look pretty tempting. I'm going to have to call and find out why they don't allow SERPA's, though, as I'd like to train how I carry.

jsfrederick

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:

Their handgun courses look pretty tempting. I'm going to have to call and find out why they don't allow SERPA's, though, as I'd like to train how I carry.
Look at his Blog. He has an entry that describes his issues with SERPA's

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I suggest you take a look at www.nra.org under training and education, and find the "personal protection in the home" and "personal protection outside the home" courses being given in your area.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
I second John Murphy.

Why are you looking for "tactical" training?  Do you want to join the local LEO and become a SWAT member? ...

That word bothered me, too. There is a big, really really big difference, between tactical use of deadly force and defensive use of deadly force. Unless you need to serve search or arrest warrants in crack houses at two a.m. on a regular basis, and need to be able to intimidate possible suspects (i.e., by the offensive use of deadly force), then you don't need tactical training.

A person whose interest is in personal protection has a much simpler decision: pull the gun and shoot to kill, or don't even act as though you've got a gun. It's that much a binary choice. Unless you are faced with an imminent threat of serious bodily harm, you've got no reason to make any reference to the gun at all. Cops who are in the process of arresting dangerous felons have a really different set of criteria (though the rules are basically the same).

Regular_Joe

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:

Though I've only communicated with John via a few e-mails, he does offer the following explanation regarding the Serpa (my daily carry holster as well):

I do not allow the Serpa for several reasons. I ran a class right after they came out. This course involved some ground fighting techniques. A pebble lodged in the release mechanism of the holster and that gun would not come out for love nor money.

Secondly, to release the mechanism you have to mash down on a button with your trigger finger. In a stress situation it is very, very easy to continue that mash onto the trigger, and prematurely fire a bullet.

Third, I don't advocate retention systems for concealed carry. I don't need to prevent my pistol from being taken from me if no one knows I have it. (Though a good holster does need to retain your weapon if you're tussling on the ground.) I have seen people literally try to lift themselves off the ground while drawing from these holsters...because they didn't release the mechanism.

Finally, some of these holsters, if you put the gun in backwards, will not release the weapon. Why would you put the weapon into the holster backwards? That is a technique for reloading the pistol if you are reduced to having just your weak hand.

At any rate, I'm not the only instructor that is banning the Serpa from their courses. A little "Googlefu" will reveal that is pretty much a standard policy.
John comes highly recommended, and he's local for me so I'm looking forward to his training sometime. He did take the time to explain his personal opinion and I respect that.

Googling the issue does uncover a bit of controversy, though...

TexasNative

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
Googling the issue does uncover a bit of controversy, though...
Definitely, especially since, like every other decent manufacturer in the world, they're always improving their product. The system that failed for John "right after they came out" is no longer produced.

An open, objective mind is a marvelous thing.

~ Boyd

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Suarez International is now in Winchester and the also ban the SERPA.

I have never taken a course from them so do not know anything about them but what is on their site.